Holy cow...read this...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As a newbie I did not come here to get sugar coated crap I came to save the life of three little hatchlings that were being raised in a dry 10 gal. Tank with news paper on the bottom and light bulbs for heat.
Two are doin good in homes with the "Tom" set up now and I am keeping the last guy. He has been much slower at improving
Unfortunately not everyone coming here for advice can handle the truth. I do my best to say it as nice as possible but I'm too the point. Most after their initial being P'd off and they settle down, realize I'm right and only want the best for their tort. They usually apologize and continue to learn and do right.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One just has to be careful to advise without alienating those you want to have listen!

Myself being someone who needs to step back and chill sometimes, I think that is one thing I really admire about member Zeropilot. In all the posts I've read on this forum, he is always so sincerely encouraging and welcoming, without diluting the importance of his advice. That is really imperative for a forum like this, to get people to see this as a reliable and approachable resource.
Unfortunately not everyone coming here for advice can handle the truth. I do my best to say it as nice as possible but I'm too the point. Most after their initial being P'd off and they settle down, realize I'm right and only want the best for their tort. They usually apologize and continue to learn and do right.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep. That's me. A pretty flower... All blossomed up... :p

You've been there since the beginning with me. You were one of the first and most challenging people to convince about all this humidity and hydration stuff early on.
Yes, and when I joined in 2011 boy, do I remember those heated discussions between you two and another member I won't mention. He still lurks on here. Starts with a B and Tom and i both are not his favorite people at all. Lol.
Those were the days with lots of heated discussions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, and when I joined in 2011 boy, do I remember those heated discussions between you two and another member I won't mention. He still lurks on here. Starts with a B and Tom and i both are not his favorite people at all. Lol.
Those were the days with lots of heated discussions.
There have been several of those over the years. Andy Highfield himself came here and tried to argue with me before finally admitting he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
There have been several of those over the years. Andy Highfield himself came here and tried to argue with me before finally admitting he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Oh boy...Andy Highfield and I fought horribly over a period of years. I would be so mad I'd be frothing at the mouth. (Poor yvonne) I bad mouthed him on every turtle or tortoise forum I could. Got banned permanently off his tortoise group in England or some damn where. Here again I forget all the details but at his name I started to get irritated again LOL...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hi Guys...does any one here remember "Redford Nerd"...I think that was his name.
Well, he always said Never soak...if they want to drink or soak, they will. Of course he was a little off the wall

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I would postulate that the average breeder would be heartbroken to experience the typical "hatchling-to-1-year-old" losses in his own clutches that occur in the wild...
Yep.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi Guys...does any one here remember "Redford Nerd"...I think that was his name.
Well, he always said Never soak...if they want to drink or soak, they will. Of course he was a little off the wall
I do...Redfoot Nerd...I liked him...And madame terryo...how are ya? Your's was a name I couldn't remember...but we had a pretty good time, you and I. What was the name of the girl who always said " that was so funny it made me spit coffee all over my keyboard", or was it Mt Dew???

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Nerd is still around here from time to time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Terryo! How the heck are ya'???

I was friends with him for a while, and he's one of the people who helped me figure out how to grow a smooth tortoise early on. We used to talk on the phone from time to time and he was the one that suggested carapace spraying because he'd been doing it with his RFs and liked the results. I tried it and it helped a lot with sulcatas and leopards. Then Carl came along and told me it wasn't Nerd's idea, so I had to stop crediting him with the idea, and only credit him with introducing the idea to me. Anyhow, at some point he started siding with the group-of-the-day that was attacking me, so I stopped talking to him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I remember him. Just don't remember any of his post.
Btw, how ya doing. I remember you through the years I have been here too. Nice to see you still checking in here and there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh boy...Andy Highfield and I fought horribly over a period of years. I would be so mad I'd be frothing at the mouth. (Poor yvonne) I bad mouthed him on every turtle or tortoise forum I could. Got banned permanently off his tortoise group in England or some damn where. Here again I forget all the details but at his name I started to get irritated again LOL...
I don't remember Andy, but I do remember you and I very early on mixing it up once or twice when you and Tom would go at it. Lol.
I was always defending Tom. Like he needed help lol.
I think it's great though how everyone can disagree, even argue, yet can still remain civil and friends/friendly.
Do you realize how many people all you originals have helped and how far the care has come. Even with all that, there is still more better things being learned.
This truly is the best place with the best members to learn all the best stuff.