Not open for further replies.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast
Ed,
I learned to steer clear of that battle years ago :D

-EJ said:
yall do realize this is a moot point if you use Mazuri... sorry... couldn't resist.

Luvthemtorts said:
Flukes are the most well known since they are of clinical importance to humans, however parasitic worms of various genus are more likely to be encountered here in the states.
I'm not suggesting the removal of snails from their diet but rather a routine fecal examination to control parasitic burdens should they be offered.

Jacqui said:
chairman said:
Jacqui, I find myself doing the same thing feeding-wise with my torts. I keep offering them new things just to see what happens. Hopefully one of these days they will start eating the mushrooms and maybe some more greens. I don't recall ever seeing creeping charlie on any approved feed lists, so I wouldn't have tried it. Given your success, and my constant search for greenery that my torts will eat, I'll give it a shot. And they will be getting hibiscus again in the spring... at the very least the plants look pretty in the enclosure! But on your snail note- I happen to know that at least some parts of the greater Jacksonville area (where Scooter is located) are just crawling with these tiny little garden snails. Including the shell, my hingebacks could probably fit a half dozen or so in their mouths at one time. Are those the snails that torts can eat? I always wanted to offer some, but I was concerned about the snail-to-shell ratio and whether it could cause impaction issues, or if the shell was just another vitamin/mineral source.

The people I have talked to have used all types of snails, including the small ones found in aquariums and wild in ponds. The larger snails would make the most sense, but I believe in trying what you have available. Some feed them whole and alive, while others smash the shells first. The shells would give a tiny tiny bit a calcium too.

I would also think of it like this, you have a lot of snails in your area it sounds like. If you place your Hingebacks into outside environments, those snails will be in there too. Trying them out inside in a more secure location to observe the tortoise reactions will give you a better idea of it they will eat them. Once they are loose in the outside enclosure, you loose a lot of your ability to monitor exactly what they are eating....especially with something so small.

Flukes seem to be the most common bad thing coming from snails.

S

Scooter

With the creeping charlie, do you feed them the leaves or flowers, or both?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Normally I don't harvest it. :D What happens (or use to, now it never seems to get restarted) was it would be in the enclosures when they were let out in the spring. It was the first thing the Russians would scramble to eat. Hingebacks were a bit slower in their pens, but not by much. The old Desert Tortoise we had, loved it too. The box turtles ignored it. Not sure if it ever grew in the Redfoot, Yellowfoot, or Leopard enclosures.

They ate it all.

Let's clear something up, which Creeping Charlie do you have? Pilea
nummulariifolia? or Glechoma hederacea?

Something everybody (well as much as they ever do :p) agrees is safe and liked, is Field Bindweed (convolvulus arvensis) it is also well loved by my tortoises.

S

Scooter

I don't currently have any Creeping Charlie but was going to keep my eye our for it. Pretty much the only thing weeds I have seen are dandelion and dollar weed. Is Pothos ok to feed them? I have that for my iguana but have not tried it with Scoot yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pathos is native to South America and redfoots eat it in their native habitat, however, I've seen it on some of the toxic plants lists, so I would THINK that other tortoises cannot eat it.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have not tried any pothos in my enclosures yet. I do believe I have heard of other Hingeback folks using it, but not going to swear on it. I would be very appreciative if you keep me posted on anything you do end up trying on yours and the results. I am starting a list of things that actual Hingeback folks (and which Hingeback) have used on their animals. Simply because of all the confliting information about what is good or not, and if our specific tortoises can eat them. Such as like this case with the pothos.

I am trying to find (if I can) and Hingeback person whose animal eat the pothos. I have found several references to folks who have been using it (with no issues) within the enclosures.

One person gave this belief: "Pothos have oxalate crystals that msy irritate the mouth or stomach of some species.I use it as an enclosure plants and it is safe,b/c any animal that can't handle the crystals,won't eat much of it."

S

Scooter

I will definitely keep you updated on whether Scoot eats it or not. Still working on cutting down the amount of banana in her food, its a slow process, as I'm sure you know lol.

S

Scooter

So this morning when I fed Scoot I placed the banana mixture on a romaine lettuce leaf and then left her alone. When I got home from work the banana mixture was only partially eaten and there were bites taken out of the leaf! I was so excited this is the first time she has eaten something that did not have banana in/on it.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Alright! That's a huge step in the right direction. Congrats to the both of you.:D

S

Scooter

Scoot was really enjoying her breakfast this morning. It is a mix of moistened tort diet, mushrooms, apples, butternut squash baby food and banana, apple and pear baby food. The banana portion of her food was pretty small this morning compared to how much I have been putting in to get her to eat. She didn't even seem to notice the lack of banana though lol. :)

Jacqui said:
Alright! That's a huge step in the right direction. Congrats to the both of you.:D

Attachments

• scoot 1.jpg
    scoot 1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 12
  • scoot 2.jpg
    scoot 2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 10

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That is great! With some hingebacks especially it's a slow trip to getting them off of their "candy" and more onto a diet we feel should be better for them. Feels good doesn't it to see him chowing down. Give yourself a pat on the back. The baby steps are working! :D

Is he eating or atleast starting to do any nibbling on the romaine leaf you have under his food? BTW...that leaf makes for great eye appeal. Looks like he is dining in a fine dining establishment. :cool:

S

Scooter

She has nibbled on it once but thats it but it was still very exciting! I used the lettuce as a plate to take her food out because her plate was dirty and just stuck with that since its edible too!

S

Scooter

I mix very little banana in her food now, usually I just lightly coat the food in baby banana food. She actually ate a bit of dandelion the other day that had no banana on it! She seems to like the Mazuri pellets so I am going to try giving her some of that without banana on it to see how it goes. I appreciate all the advice! I do have one other question, can I give her Christmas cactus and aloe?

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Yes to the aloe, I don't know about the christmas cactus. However, I might note that aloe is one of the few plants that I can actually grow in my home's inside enclosure because a)it is hardy and b)they won't eat it.

S

Scooter

Today Scoot ate her Mazuri pellets and they did not have any banana on them at all! I was so excited! YAY :D

S

Scooter

Yes I was so excited to see her eat it without any banana on there! I am so proud of her! :D

tehbetty

5 Year Member
Do hingies like pineapple? I ask because I bought a little fruit mix that has kiwi, mango, papaya and pineapple in it and was wondering if I should just eat the pineapple myself. :p

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but want to add something about snails/slugs...

Take a small container such as a margarine tub, poke some small holes in it and cover the bottom in a thin layer of cornmeal. Add snails/slugs. After one week, remove snails/slugs. Digestive tracts are now cleaned :)

My Hingebacks don't eat a ton of fruit, mostly overripe mango and cactus pear, sometimes a few other things. I would just try the pinapple and see how they like it, and if it isn't eaten, have at it ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I haven't tried pineapple on mine, but no reason they can't have it. If I recall Terry/Nerd feeds it to his redfoots and if that is correct, then I bet he's tried it on his Erosa too.

Status
Not open for further replies.