Honest enclosure judgement needed

ComeNT8kIt

Location (City and/or State)
Houston/Tx
Long story short this is my first ShellPup and I need some pro-critiquing of this enclosure.

First things first “he” is a 20 gram roughly 2 month Hermann’s.

It is a 10 gallon zilla reptile terrarium. And I know what y’all are thinking glass never works. But hear me out. I’ve tinted 3 sides of the tank with 5% auto tinting. 1 for his sanity. 2 it holds heat pretty well. It does have a screen lid but with plexiglass cover with cutouts for his uvb and heat light.
For like 3 months before he got here I was doing trial runs so I got gauges out the backside and I think I can tel you temp and humidity levels at every 2” squared section of the enclosure. Stays between 80 and 92 in the day and roughly 72 at night with the lights off.
Humidity stays around 80 except on the hide is closer to 90. With the lights on all day by the end it does drop down to about 65 but once they go off it jumps back up to the 80’s.
Substrate is 3 inches of organic soil with 3 inches of Reptibark When he isn’t tucked away he is very mobile but not pacing and eating a combination of vegetables and leaves and blooms and Mazuri tortoise.
Can y’all spot any flaws in this rig? I just need this guy to thrive because I’ve apparently already become a little too attached

E3E62E6C-46A4-4B4C-A80C-6F510D4F98B9.jpeg6073E30B-66D3-4D8D-A576-82E5F2721B3D.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, for cryin' out loud! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope it's a great one.

The enclosure is a nice size for that size tortoise, however it looks a little dry, and will need to be made bigger in the not too distant future. Do you moisten the substrate? Not too much, just a bit. A plant (in the pot) or two placed around inside will help diffuse the light and give him a safer feeling.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. I don’t think too many ppl will beat you up over a glass viv for a small hatchling. Not good forever, but it does help with maintaining heat & humidity levels.

Id say, instead of a 10 I would have gone with a much larger 30 gallon tank. It’s only a few bucks more for a 30 and it’s easier to create zones. Ten gallon it’s all or nothing really.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Happy birthday! What a cute little tortoise you have there.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Greetings. I don’t think too many ppl will beat you up over a glass viv for a small hatchling. Not good forever, but it does help with maintaining heat & humidity levels.

Id say, instead of a 10 I would have gone with a much larger 30 gallon tank. It’s only a few bucks more for a 30 and it’s easier to create zones. Ten gallon it’s all or nothing really.
Well, right now at least my local Petco is holding their $1 a gallon sale on (certain brand) smaller tanks (under 30 gallons, I think) and 50 percent off on larger tanks. Not a bad deal for anyone who wants to upgrade.

ComeNT8kIt

Houston/Tx
Well, for cryin' out loud! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope it's a great one.

The enclosure is a nice size for that size tortoise, however it looks a little dry, and will need to be made bigger in the not too distant future. Do you moisten the substrate? Not too much, just a bit. A plant (in the pot) or two placed around inside will help diffuse the light and give him a safer feeling.

I mist it every morning and he gets soaks in the evening. But it does dry a bit throughout the day. I bet you’re right though I’m sure he’d appreciate a plant

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I mist it every morning and he gets soaks in the evening. But it does dry a bit throughout the day. I bet you’re right though I’m sure he’d appreciate a plant
We have no shortage of gardeners and plant enthusiasts on the Forum, so your tortoise is probably not the only one who would like to see a plant or two. ;)