Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
:<3: Honey’s Journey :<3:

Enclosure:

The enclosure is currently a terrarium turned into a closed chamber. It is about 4 by 2 feet. There is a humid hide in the “cool” part of the chamber. On the “warm” side, there’s a soaking dish and a basking stone. In this part of the chamber, there is also an aloe plant that provides a bit of shade, humidity, and possible food if the tort is a lil famished.

Heating:

I’m using an MVB bulb, since I found it to be an adequate heat and UVB source. For nighttime, I use an infrared lightbulb. All local retailers here don’t have the right wattage for CHE (always too high of a wattage) and I’ve had issues with the the safety of the pet-related thermostats sold here.... but regardless of this, these are my temps:

Cool side: 25-28 C (77-82.4 F)

Warm side: 30-34.7C (86-94.5 F)

Basking: Around 36 C (97 F)

Humidity:

Almost Always in the 87-92 % range, sometimes it may drop to mid and lower 80s, but that is rare. May have only happened when I first set up the tank, since it’s never that low anymore.

Food:

My diet plan currently consists of the following. Please note that a lot of these foods are new to the tort, so I am trying to make him/her eat them via chopping and mixing them into his favorite foods:

• Mulberry leaves... Freshly grown in our garden. We have 3 or 4 trees.
  • Romaine lettuce (not nutritional but it’s a fave)
  • Opuntia Cactus Pads (waiting for my cactus to grow more so I can feed my tort more)
  • Dandelion (used in Lebanese cooking so it’s easy to find store bought)
  • Turnip greens
  • Carrot tops
  • Grasses (I bought about 1.3 lbs of different tortsafe grasses that I will feed him/her)
  • Argula
  • Bok Choy
  • Collard greens

Water:

I soak my tortoise for about 30-45 minutes a day, twice a day. I mist the tank three times a day for a few minutes, and pour some water on the 4 inches of cococoir & organic soil substrate whenever it’s dry.

Supplements:

I use a tiny bit of a calcium / D3 reptile supplement for my tort, mix it into the food. I do this about once a week. Sometimes twice a week.

Any advice, suggestions, tips, compliments even.... all are welcome < 3

Here’s a few of pic of my tort, named honeysuckle & nicknamed honey ;-)

1714B2C1-CBD0-469A-86C9-BE05F5FED19B.jpeg 75C17F96-F3D0-494B-B27F-8B639668DF86.jpeg C5D6CE51-7EB0-44F6-A27D-D32570FD4A47.jpeg

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
You don't want a baby tortoise to be in humidity where it's cool. In fact, I don't have a warm side/cool side for baby tortoises. I keep it 80-85F degrees all over the whole enclosure, day and night.
Thank you for the advice! The coolest it ever is 78-82 F, do you think that would be an issue? I used warm/cool side as more near the heating elements vs away from them! I hope that makes things clearer :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thanks, but it's not just being sweet. I really feel that tortoises, being naturally very long lived, deserve to have the chance to do just that!
That is very valid, wise, and true!!!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
This is Chunk!!
Awwww, he's very cute! Also, welcome to the forum!!! Hope you enjoy it here, and if you'd like, check out the sulcata care and diet sheets on here! They were really helpful for me when I started out with tortoises :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Finally got ready to travel back to NYC, and also finally finished teaching the fam how to care for honey when I’m gone for spring semester. A lil farewell for now pic + an older pic I edited:
F25F6E34-6935-43DE-B553-9CC05A591DC0.jpeg 256849CB-A560-4A0C-B625-3ACA8E1634EC.jpeg