Hood for the Reptisun 10.0 24" UVB tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuriTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi -

Does anyone know where I can find a hood that will fit the Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB 24" tube? I've looked on the Zoo Med site, and it looks like everything is made for the curly bulbs (which I read aren't good).

I also went to Lowe's, to see if there were any hanging shop light fixtures, but it looked like there was additional wiring required. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I can locate the hood for the smaller tube, but nothing off the shelf for the larger size.

The light is for my newly acquired yearling three-toed box turtle, Miss Piggy. It's getting too chilly to put her outdoors for natural sunlight and she's not healthy enough to hibernate.

M

Maggie Cummings

YuriTort said:
Hi -

Does anyone know where I can find a hood that will fit the Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB 24" tube? I've looked on the Zoo Med site, and it looks like everything is made for the curly bulbs (which I read aren't good).

I also went to Lowe's, to see if there were any hanging shop light fixtures, but it looked like there was additional wiring required. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I can locate the hood for the smaller tube, but nothing off the shelf for the larger size.

The light is for my newly acquired yearling three-toed box turtle, Miss Piggy. It's getting too chilly to put her outdoors for natural sunlight and she's not healthy enough to hibernate.

This may not help you much but I feel I need to say something. I am experienced with turtles and tortoises. I have 27 of them active and healthy. But I have a 3 year old Sulcata who's eyes were damaged as a hatchling. So periodically the nictitating membranes swell up. It is very painful for him and he drools and rubs those sore eyes on those tough spurs.
This has gone on his whole life. So a few weeks ago they again swelled up enough so he couldn't see at all. He's drooling and in a lot of pain. Off to the Vet we go, and this time she asked about his lighting and I told her he was under a Reptisun 10 24 inch flourscent light. It was 18 inches over his tort table. She asked me to put a regular 100 watt light bulb instead and see what happens. We put him on pain meds again but nothing else. Within a few days of the regular bulb his eyes were back to normal. We all know the coil bulb was bad, but I thought the tube was alright. Evidently it's not.
His eyes are better than they have been for years.
I have a small colony of box turtles under a T-rex basking light. I think it's 250 watts or something really hot and that's what I would recommend for your box turtle. I would shy away from the tube.
I know others have used the tube for years without a problem. But that's not my experience.
I'm sticking to T-rex bulbs in all my habitats that need a basking light.
So I have two 24 inch hoods that I won't use. But I would advise you to either use a regular bulb or the T-rex bulb. If you can put her in the sun for a few hours every week she wouldn't need a UVB light.
HTH

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
indiana
whats wrong with the curly bulbs? at the moment im using a rep sun 10.0 curly bulb, probably about 30 inches above my baby pool

M

Maggie Cummings

kevantheman35 said:
whats wrong with the curly bulbs? at the moment im using a rep sun 10.0 curly bulb, probably about 30 inches above my baby pool

I don't know who did the research and I'll look for the articles on the subject. The compact Reptisun 10 bulb causes eye damage. Serious eye damage. I had just bought a case of them before the study was printed. So when I read the results of the testing, I put away over $100 worth of bulbs. And...lo and behold my box turtles became more active and one who we thought was blind started acting reasonably normal.
The best advice I could give anybody would be to get rid of that bulb. If you don't take believe anything else I've told you, believe this. You need to get rid of that bulb.
If you can put Miss Piggy outside for a couple of hours a week she will get enough UVB.
Where do you live? I think SoCal isn't it? If you were any place close to Corvallis Oregon I'd give you my hood. But I really think the 24 inch tube is more light then she needs. I have a male 3-toed that I had to separate from my colony because he bred anything including the other males. I looked in their tort table one day and he was trying to breed a male Ornata and his feet were stuck in the Ornates shell and his ankles were starting to swell. They were stuck in the shell for about an hour. When he finally got his feet out they were terribly damaged. I guess a female holds the males feet more loosely then another male who (in fear I think) traps the feet hard and doesn't let go. The 3-toed isn't a 3 toed anymore...
so I had to set him up to be by himself and I just use a 100 watt regular bulb. But I try to put him outside everyday if I can. He's outside enough that I no longer worry about a UVB light. Especially for a box turtle. If I were you I'd get a clamp light fixture from Kmart ($6) and a 100 watt incandescent bulb. If you can't set her up in your yard just put her in a rubbermaid tub and set her in the sun for a bit making sure she's not getting cooked. I put that male out on my deck in a sweater box. I used to have a box turtle enclosure outside, but tore it down for the winter.
I hope this helps you some. Let me know if you want this hood...but I really think you should just use a regular bulb...

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...The ReptiSun bulb is too much for Box turtles. All they need is a 5%. But you need to put the heat light right beside the UVB so they get benefit from both bulbs at the same time to protect their eyes from the damaging rays. Since I am scientificly challenged, I don't understand the reason enough to be able to explain it, but check www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapy/ph...-tests.htm for info.
I got my 24" fixtures from Home Depot. Some need to be wired, but others have the cord to plug in.
Good luck
Patsy

YuriTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks so much for all the information!!

I will put Miss Piggy in a little tub and get her outside in the sun a few times a week. It's still 70 - 80 degrees during the day here, but in the 40's at night. My Russian is already hibernating outdoors.

In March, Miss Piggy will be living outside in her new enclosure. I want to keep her indoors this winter because she's new and very tiny.

What is the ideal humidity? I am keeping it at 60 - 70%, although it requires misting about 4 times a day. The substrate is the expanded bed-a-beast covered with a layer of sphagnum moss.

Thanks!!

Rhishja

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
If you are still looking for fixtures for your florescent bulbs try a Wal-Mart near you. I got my 24 inch fixtures that plug in for $8.00. They were $43.00 at home Depot for the ones that have plugs and $24.00 for the ones you have to hard wire. Wal-Mart works just fine and saved me a bundle. They also have the ones for large and small sized florescent bulbs.

YuriTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks! I will check it out and get Miss Piggy set up for winter.

I have gotten her out in the sun for a 30-minute session and a 20-minute session this week, in a little Tupperware tub.

She sure is a picky eater, even smashing things up tiny. But I think she *finally* ate some greens this morning. She has refused to eat anything except strawberries and Fluker's freeze-dried crickets.

Rhishja

skittles1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I live in florida. Its very rare that I have to keep my torts in for long periods of time. I put them out in their enclosure as much as possible. they are out solidly about 10-10 1/2 months out of the year.
During the times when it gets too chilly I just use a regular bulb for day time heat and take them out when I can. they seem to do very well. I have to say if I lived somewhere colder I would use a uv bulb at least intermitantly to be sure they got some good rays.
Janay

Status
Not open for further replies.