hopefully just being paranoid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
but as i was looking through the many different threads on here, i saw that someone had noticed their torts third eyelid was inflamed.

since i received my yearling leopard tort in August I've always thought of her eyes as...puffy maybe? i can always see the white eyelid in the corner of her eye.... i figured is was how she was. but after seeing someone saying that's a problem and someone else saying that was a symptom of a future uri. now I'm worried!!

she's never showed any signs of illness. it took her about a month to settle in but after that, she's been great. she has a healthy appetite, poops regularly, enjoys every other day soaks. the only thing i would ever question would be her eyes but even they aren't alarming to me.

i have a few pictures that i zoomed in on....in the morning i will try to get a few better ones. these ones basically show the white eyelid in the corner.

mb7a14.png

2i2beas.png

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I can see the white in the corner of ALL of my tortoises eyes, even newborn hatchlings. I don't know who would suggest thats future RI, because what would eyes have to do with respiratory infection? Nothing, as far as I've ever heard :).

She looks completely fine to me. If she is eating, pooping, doesn't seem lethargic in any way, there is likely nothing wrong with her. Most health problems seem to visibly affect tortoises, e.g not eating, not moving much.

Personally, I think it looks completely fine. But keep up the paranoia! In my opinion, its the best way to be in animal care; paranoid! You're more likely to notice a developing condition, and can deal with it before it becomes a serious problem.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
okay, thanks everyone! i would never have thought it could be connected to a uri until i read that. and as i said, i would never guess she was sick due to the eyes, just thought to throw it out there, lol. I'm glad she's beautiful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.