Hoping experienced baby redfoot keepers will take a look

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco Bay Area
Gained 24g (or 1.2 ounces) in 2 months. I think it's ok- any comments?

Also, his shell is filling in from being lopsided when he came out of his egg, and with little grooves and wrinkles in it especially on his plastron...

Comments from those of you experienced at raising tiny redfoot hatchlings would be most welcome. He eats a lot- loves greens, would prefer to stay on the high end of his temp range in his habitat... I give him choices between 82F-92F, and Gib almost alwayspicks 87F - 91F as his preferred sleeping and burrowing regions.

If any of this seems a bit off or you spot something of concern- I'd love to improve his care, if possible.gib_progress.jpg gib.jpg

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
He looks really nice!
It's hard to say something specific on the weight gain, because all torts grow on their own pace...
What does his diet look like? In the picture it looks like mainly lettuce. Do you provide different types of greens, and also some fruit and protein?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I am an unscientific keeper. I rely on the tried and true backyard method. Does the tort feel heavier than it looks? Then weight is good. As to growth, I love that you are tracing his shell when you give him a checkup!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I weighed my babies all the time. The weight would fluctuate a little, but always end up increasing over time.
I looked at how well they ate and condition of the poop and did visual inspections regularly.
Over time, I got lazy and realized that I could just tell how healthy they were by just observation. And eventually I stopped weighing.
I also weighed a sick adult while she was recovering. That was VERY helpful.
The plastron wrinkles are normal and will fix themselves.
Mine seemed to prefer temps right at 83-84 and shade.