HOREHOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah the bullfrog

5 Year Member
I have lots of white Horehound in my yard and I cannot find anything about it being edible for tortoises. Does anyone know FOR SURE if this can be eaten? If you have any information regarding this I would like to know where you got the info. Thank you kindly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Its edible for humans, so I'd assume it would be ok for your tortoise too. But its bitter, so I doubt he'll eat it.

"Horehound is a perennial herb also known as Marrubium vulgare. It is a member of the mint family. The leaves, stems, seeds and flowers of the horehound plant are all edible and used for medicinal purposes. Other uses for horehound are in cosmetics, perfumes and dyes."

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I googled it and found what Yvonne G wrote,But the real Question is are you a Frenchman that drinks wine while listening to 3 Dog Night? just kidding, Len

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've got it all over too. My torts won't touch it. I couldn't find anything about whether it was toxic or not so I just pulled it all out of their pen. It still grows on the ranch and they ignore it even when I turn them loose to graze.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
RE: HOREHOUND/Coyote Mint

Hi all....I was going to check to see if anyone else deeds this to their tortoises? Then searched here and found prior thread.....all four of my CDT LOVE it....I was just curious about anti.e else (well except for Tom..LOL) I love when a Ca native pops up in the yard...it actually showed up last year and has well doubled this year...apparently the heavy rain saturation in 2010 and again this year is what it needed...also this year have had about thirty of the Desert Mariposa....about ten came up in one of my guys enclosure...and boy was he thrilled :>

Status
Not open for further replies.