Horse field eyes won’t open

Kayla1990

Location (City and/or State)
Milton Keynes
Hi I have a year old horse field tortoise, and the last week or so he’s eyes won’t open.

I got his from wriggles and got the set up and everything. However I wasn’t told about the uvb running out of Vapor. I have replaced the bulb and he’s still got them shut.

The only thing I have changed is the bedding I think it could be that but not sure?
I will upload a picture if needed please someone shed some light before I take him to the vets thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I have a year old horse field tortoise, and the last week or so he’s eyes won’t open.

I got his from wriggles and got the set up and everything. However I wasn’t told about the uvb running out of Vapor. I have replaced the bulb and he’s still got them shut.

The only thing I have changed is the bedding I think it could be that but not sure?
I will upload a picture if needed please someone shed some light before I take him to the vets thanks
Please start here:

There is a care sheet at the bottom, and I'm sure you will find several things that need attention. Posting pics of the tortoise and enclosure will help too, along with temperatures and types of bulbs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
People, especially new to tortoises, assume that when a tortoise stops eating or when his eyes swell shut and don't open that the tortoise is sick. 90% of the time this is NOT the case. What's really going on is his living conditions are wrong.

If you read our care sheet with an open mind, tossing out everything you heard and learned previously, and make changes to your tortoise's habitat and care accordingly, he will improve.

Kayla1990

Milton Keynes
Thank you for your reply I do think it could be to do with the bedding but I want to be sure before I change things around again. She’s still eating but finding it hard to find the food once she’s in her food plate. The reptile shop suggested the bedding and said it could just be the uvb run out. Her shell still looks healthy and the temp is around 32-35degrees she has a 100w heat bulb and the The Arcadia Reptile D3 Reptile lamp. She has the d3 lamp on 12hrs at night and the heat bulb is on a thermostat. Fresh water daily with the drops (can’t think of the name) and calcium power twice a week (advised but reptile shop) has kale, rocket, daily with some added treats occasionally

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you for your reply I do think it could be to do with the bedding but I want to be sure before I change things around again. She’s still eating but finding it hard to find the food once she’s in her food plate. The reptile shop suggested the bedding and said it could just be the uvb run out. Her shell still looks healthy and the temp is around 32-35degrees she has a 100w heat bulb and the The Arcadia Reptile D3 Reptile lamp. She has the d3 lamp on 12hrs at night and the heat bulb is on a thermostat. Fresh water daily with the drops (can’t think of the name) and calcium power twice a week (advised but reptile shop) has kale, rocket, daily with some added treats occasionally
Please read the care sheet we linked for you, and forget everything you've posted above. It's not right.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have been given links to read that has the correct info you need to properly care for your tortoise. Instead of insisting on repeating what the pet store has said, do what Yvonne said, forget everything you were told from the pet store as they know nothing about the proper care. Read the care links and follow them.

Kayla1990

Milton Keynes
Yes I read the care sheet and very surprised with the advice I was given. And how wrong I was. I am going to make changes straight away however, still a few things I’m unsure on

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes I read the care sheet and very surprised with the advice I was given. And how wrong I was. I am going to make changes straight away however, still a few things I’m unsure on
Your not alone on that. So many get started wrong until they find this forum.
Ask any questions you have. Someone here can answer and will help you thru. We care about the tortoise and the owners having a great experience with them.

Kayla1990

Milton Keynes
Does anyone know if :

Tortoise Heat Lamp Basking Lamp, 3 Bulb UVA UVB Light Lamp, Heat Spotlight Reptile Light Aquarium Basking Light With Holder for Tortoise Bell Turtle Snake Lizards Terrarium Amphibian, E27 25W 50W this is any good?​

Or should I stick to the busking bulb and the uv light I already have

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does anyone know if :

Tortoise Heat Lamp Basking Lamp, 3 Bulb UVA UVB Light Lamp, Heat Spotlight Reptile Light Aquarium Basking Light With Holder for Tortoise Bell Turtle Snake Lizards Terrarium Amphibian, E27 25W 50W this is any good?​

This doesn't tell us what type of bulbs are being used.

You don't want MVBs, spot bulbs or CFL type UV bulbs.

You do want a regular incandescent flood bulb for basking, LEDs for ambient light, a CHE or RHP for ambient heat, and an HO tube for UV.

At the bottom of this thread is a lighting breakdown explaining all of this:

Kayla1990

Milton Keynes
Sorry guys just trying to sort their vivs poor thing’s 😩 I can’t seem to upload any pictures it’s just saying http://

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Today is my birthday!
Earth
Does anyone know if :

No, they're not a safe source of UV if they provide UV at all.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
There is a lot of old information still being passed around on the internet, social media and by pet shops etc, but you have found the right place for up to date information which has improved the lives of hundreds if not thousands of torts.
It sounds daunting having to make changes but if you follow the advice on the threads linked your tort should be much happier and healthier.
Have you tried copying and pasting your pics into a post here? I use a laptop and that works for me but I don't know if it will with a phone.

Kayla1990

Milton Keynes
Thank you, yes I was using all the wrong advice. I’m glad I found this forum, well a little update I have changed her environment and been soaking her and it may have done the job. I’m pretty sure I can see her little eye starting to open after a couple of weeks worrying there something really wrong with her. I’ve taken all sand etc out and will not be putting that back and she seems happier 🤞 thanks everyone for all your help and support. And thanks Lyn I will give it a shot on my laptop

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you, yes I was using all the wrong advice. I’m glad I found this forum, well a little update I have changed her environment and been soaking her and it may have done the job. I’m pretty sure I can see her little eye starting to open after a couple of weeks worrying there something really wrong with her. I’ve taken all sand etc out and will not be putting that back and she seems happier 🤞 thanks everyone for all your help and support. And thanks Lyn I will give it a shot on my laptop
You could try adding some carrot baby food to her luke warm soak (50/50 mix) to see if that helps perk her up. It is often recommended for torts who are lethargic with eyes closed. They sell pouches of it in the baby aisle in Tesco.