Horse field tortoise

Juliee2604

Hi there my dad recently died and I have adopted his tortoises four of them two female Herman and two male horse field all doing well except one male horse field which has not had anything to eat now for two weeks he is lively loves the garden has plenty of sun and heat. Have read your blog information and have tried every fresh food I can buy also dried flowers etc the other male has started to eat but cannot get this one to eat please can someone advise me I don't want to lose him thanks

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Hi there my dad recently died and I have adopted his tortoises four of them two female Herman and two male horse field all doing well except one male horse field which has not had anything to eat now for two weeks he is lively loves the garden has plenty of sun and heat. Have read your blog information and have tried every fresh food I can buy also dried flowers etc the other male has started to eat but cannot get this one to eat please can someone advise me I don't want to lose him thanks
It because the torts live together (torts like living alone & "fight" when they have company) so there is bullying going around! Even if they don't physically "fight", they get stressed A LOT and may not eat :( separate them ASAP! What did your dad feed them, start with that :D give us more info on the enclosure & temps, good luck :)
Edit: buy carrot or pumpkin baby food. Then fill a tub with enough warm (not hot) water to where the tort's top & bottom shell meet :) this will add vitamins and make your tort a healthier until he can eat again!

Juliee2604

Try giving him a nice bath and then try feeding him again :)
Thanks he's just had something to eat after bath such a relief we are going to build an out door enclosure hopefully today so he may settle better thanks for helping didn't want to lose him

Juliee2604

It because the torts live together (torts like living alone & "fight" when they have company) so there is bullying going around! Even if they don't physically "fight", they get stressed A LOT and may not eat :( separate them ASAP! What did your dad feed them, start with that :D give us more info on the enclosure & temps, good luck :)
Edit: buy carrot or pumpkin baby food. Then fill a tub with enough warm (not hot) water to where the tort's top & bottom shell meet :) this will add vitamins and make your tort a healthier until he can eat again!
They don't live together I separated them straight away on advise of vet we are in process of building enclosure today hopefully if I can buy what I need will try baby food idea thanks

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
They don't live together I separated them straight away on advise of vet we are in process of building enclosure today hopefully if I can buy what I need will try baby food idea thanks
What did your dad feed? If your giving him new food he might not accept it, so give the old food your dad gave & finely chop the new food and mix it with the old one. Tortoises get used to a routine, so maybe he is only used to the old food?

Juliee2604

What did your dad feed? If your giving him new food he might not accept it, so give the old food your dad gave & finely chop the new food and mix it with the old one. Tortoises get used to a routine, so maybe he is only used to the old food?
He fed them on lettuce and cucumber which I have been told is a no no they haven't had the best of upbringing and I just want to give them a better life dad had dementia coming on found the tortoises in an appalling state but the vet says they are better now thankfully my dad loved his animals though

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
He fed them on lettuce and cucumber which I have been told is a no no they haven't had the best of upbringing and I just want to give them a better life dad had dementia coming on found the tortoises in an appalling state but the vet says they are better now thankfully my dad loved his animals though
Chop what you want to feed and mix with lettuce. He'll probably eat it real quick :) my tort was doing that, he didn't want healthier food!