Horsefield Food/Diet

andyduds

Location (City and/or State)
Rotherham
Hi. I’ve recently got myself a horsefield tortoise and I’m just wondering what most people feed theirs on? I’ve been doing a lot of research lately and I’m getting a lot of conflicting information. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
carerussian.JPG

I feed mostly greens, weeds, and flowers, supplementing with some butternut & spaghetti squash, along with occasional mazuri or zoo-med kibble.

Jamie

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
That’s a good list up there but I don’t know how many grow where you are. This woman has a list of plants that may be more available to you, although her website is a little wacky: http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/diet.htm#plantlist.
And finally! Shelled warriors in the UK sells seeds that will grow where you are. Another odd looking website but it should get the job done: https://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/seed-mixes-54-c.asp.

As for me, when my tortoise slowly comes out of hibernation this week, I’ll let her eat the few weeks that have grown after our dry winter; move on to some plants I can get at a nearby Asian vendor; and then sadly watch her destroy our yard, which happens to contain many safe plants.

Like Jamie I do some supplementing each week: a bite of summer or winter squash; a mushroom; a green bean; the very top of a carrot, a couple of very small okra pods (not just the flowers); etc. Our yard has plenty of flowers so I never feed those and absolutely no fruit.

I don’t need to add in supplements because she gets a very broad diet but if your tortoise is inside, some supplements might be a good addition; I’ll let others speak to that as I don’t feed any. You should be able to get mazuri (sold as nutrazoo there) or Zoo Med.

Last edited: