Horsefield not eating! Doesn't seem happy

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure either of those bulbs produce UVB. If you are getting the tortoise outside in direct sun for a few hours every week it's less important, but if not, a good UVB bulb mounted appropriately and changed every 6~ months is essential. Without UVB to make vitamin d3, your tortoise can't process calcium. Your diet is also not ideal for the species (broad leaf greens should be your staple - really none of what you are feeding right now is providing the right nutrients), but if you're supplementing a few times a week with calcium, your lack of UVB may be the bigger issue here.

You're in the UK, yes? I'll let members local to you provide bulb recommendations, as you have different brands over there.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I use top soil and coco coir for my substrate. Some use cypress mulch or orchid bark. I pour a good amount of water in my substrate & mix it up with my hands so its damp. The bulb will usually dry out the top layer quick. I repeat this once the whole substrate starts getting dry or my humidity dips low

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Hi there! I have a Russian too called Ned and live in Ireland! Neds shell is also bumpy as he was kept on dry substrate in low humidity for most of his life. (But i love him anyway)

Youre on the right track now. As the others mentioned, there is a lot of old outdated info going around and many of us tort keepers, myself included have fallen for it. (I came home from the pet shop with a lot of equipment/objects for my torts enclosure only to find out most of them were unnecessary and some potentially dangerous. )
Once your lamp and holder arrive and can be set up your tort will hopefully be much more content. That bulb Yvonne posted will supply uvb light and heat. It would be a good idea to get yourself an infared thermometer to check the temperatures under your bulb and in spots around the enclosure. They are easy enough to find on ebay or amazon. You will be able to point, click and instantly know the temperature then in any area in the enclosure which is very important. I think Yvonne linked you an adjustable lamp holder also so you should be able to raise the bulb or lower it until you get the temperature just right.

What substrate did you choose in the end. I use soil now but lots of others using coir or orchid bark. It is good to have something which can be dampened with water. People (and torts) have their own preference. Straw is not advisable as it gets mouldy when kept damp. Sand is not suggested as it sticks to food etc and torts can eat it and become impacted.
You will find lots of helpful members and useful information here so dont be afraid to ask questions! Keep us posted on Robins progress!

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
You need to remove that heat mat right now.
Heat mats should NEVER be used inside an enclosure. If you are not using a thermostat or rheostat it is likely that heat mat and the surrounding area and substrate Is in excess of 130f or 54 c.

Robinsmom

Thanks Cathy. Hopefully on the right path now. Thank for the advice. Will post pics of lamp set up etc when all of it comes. Will keep you all updated. Just trying to work on his food now. Find a source. I picked orchid bark and mylch was it called. So fingers crossed. I'll look for one of these temp testers aswel. Just going to let my bank account have a refresh on payday first lol
Alexio I will removed it when I get home then. Not much of a worry as I've actually never used it. It was a back up for it we had extremely cold weather but haven't need it. Thank you

Robinsmom

Hi Guys. Lamp and stand have arrived. Does this look better? I've put some mulch in aswel from leftovers. Will change substrate completely when it comes. Thanks

Attachments

• 20160623_161814.jpg
    20160623_161814.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 22

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Guys. Lamp and stand have arrived. Does this look better? I've put some mulch in aswel from leftovers. Will change substrate completely when it comes. Thanks
See?! You are already making huge progress! Now just follow the care sheet, fix his diet, do daily soaks , water is to be lukewarm only! Not too warm. When you think about it torts ideal temp is around 85F to help them digest their food/metabolize things. Our normal body temp is 10 degrees higher, so when you feel the water temp with your inner forearm (like for a baby bath water) what maybe nice/warm for us, might be scalding hot for a tortoise. Here in the US we love to use temp guns at least at the beginings till things become second nature. Temp gun is an infrared thermometer that you can use to check surface temps of... everything! Water, tort's carapace, substrate, inside the hide, etc. Pet stores have them but I think the big bulky hardware stores brand type of "guns" are much easier to use/read. I think that if you focus on improving his diet and environment things will work out just fine. And I wouldn't worry about the bumpy shell once you have things under control. It will just add to his character. When you get a chance look at some pictures of @LaDukePhoto and @TurtulasLen they have some bumpy torts who are cute as can be and very happy. There are many other keepers here who have rescued some severely deformed torts and were able to turn things around for them I just can't think of any other names right now. Another thing before I forget, is cuttlebone. I keep one in my babies enclosure at all times and they munch on it when they crave calcium

Pearly

5 Year Member
See?! You are already making huge progress! Now just follow the care sheet, fix his diet, do daily soaks , water is to be lukewarm only! Not too warm. When you think about it torts ideal temp is around 85F to help them digest their food/metabolize things. Our normal body temp is 10 degrees higher, so when you feel the water temp with your inner forearm (like for a baby bath water) what maybe nice/warm for us, might be scalding hot for a tortoise. Here in the US we love to use temp guns at least at the beginings till things become second nature. Temp gun is an infrared thermometer that you can use to check surface temps of... everything! Water, tort's carapace, substrate, inside the hide, etc. Pet stores have them but I think the big bulky hardware stores brand type of "guns" are much easier to use/read. I think that if you focus on improving his diet and environment things will work out just fine. And I wouldn't worry about the bumpy shell once you have things under control. It will just add to his character. When you get a chance look at some pictures of @LaDukePhoto and @TurtulasLen they have some bumpy torts who are cute as can be and very happy. There are many other keepers here who have rescued some severely deformed torts and were able to turn things around for them I just can't think of any other names right now. Another thing before I forget, is cuttlebone. I keep one in my babies enclosure at all times and they munch on it when they crave calcium
Sorry, it's @Turtulas-Len

Robinsmom

Thanks Pearly. I'm going shopping tomorrow for cuttlebone and more substrate as I'm being impatient for the ones I ordered online. I'm going to order one of those thermometers now. EBay have some for very cheap. I've been bathing him everyday now and using calcium dust. I've looked at a list of things they can eat and I've picked dandelion leaves every morning his still only eating a mouthful but it's something but his still going mad for his pellets. His not getting up on his own yet either but one thing at a time. I really hope this makes him better. Do any of you buy mint bush for them? Heard they loved the leaves and Strawberry tree leaves and parsley etc. As I can get these from the supermarket while I try find a source of weeds. Thanks guys

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thanks Pearly. I'm going shopping tomorrow for cuttlebone and more substrate as I'm being impatient for the ones I ordered online. I'm going to order one of those thermometers now. EBay have some for very cheap. I've been bathing him everyday now and using calcium dust. I've looked at a list of things they can eat and I've picked dandelion leaves every morning his still only eating a mouthful but it's something but his still going mad for his pellets. His not getting up on his own yet either but one thing at a time. I really hope this makes him better. Do any of you buy mint bush for them? Heard they loved the leaves and Strawberry tree leaves and parsley etc. As I can get these from the supermarket while I try find a source of weeds. Thanks guys
You are doing awesome job! See?! It's not about "knowing it all" but rather stepping from total ignorance into a state of enlightment:) you are going to make a fantastic tort keeper and a great mentor for the newcomers someday. I can already see it. I'm not sure about the calcium though. You know that too much of it can be as damaging as not enough of it so once you get your diet fixed with good variety of greens and stuff plus some tort pellets, have good UVB going/outdoor sunshine time, I think 2-3 x week calcium will be plenty.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
God guys I had no idea! I thought he was happy glad I've found this site now. Poor guy. Didn't mean to cause him harm.
What substrate is best? I used to use tortoise life but he had problems digging like it was to heavy the reason I used this is put different stuff down and picked this to dig in. I use this calcium dust stuff on his food but that's all. What foods are high in calcium? I give him things like cucumber, lettuce, grated carrot, sweetcorn, broccoli and kiwi etc. And he has his tortoise pellets.
What bulbs would you recommend? I really don't know what's best. If someone could send me a link to one on eBay I will buy it. Will his she'll ever go normal and how?
I feel terrible :( thanks everyone
Do not feel terrible, it is actually hard to get the right info! This site is the best! I have learned so much, made lots of changes to the set up I had for years, my Russian tortoises are much better, healthier, happier now. Do not take offense, as the offered advice is meant in the best way.

Robinsmom

Right guys I've been everywhere today getting things for him. This is his table now. Subtrate I've used same I had before on one side the rest if mulch and bark. Added some stones for him to climb on etc. Two plants put in which I've checked he can eat and got him a new proper bulb from the reptile shop 100watt until the others come. A cuttlebone aswel. His be bathed etc. His been exploring his new house :) I've bought a spray bottle to moisten the floor and ordered an infrared thermometer. hope I've done it right. Looks much better anyway

Attachments

• 20160624_150520.jpg
    20160624_150520.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 20160624_145821.jpg
    20160624_145821.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 20160624_145821.jpg
    20160624_145821.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20160624_150227.jpg
    20160624_150227.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13

Pearly

5 Year Member
Right guys I've been everywhere today getting things for him. This is his table now. Subtrate I've used same I had before on one side the rest if mulch and bark. Added some stones for him to climb on etc. Two plants put in which I've checked he can eat and got him a new proper bulb from the reptile shop 100watt until the others come. A cuttlebone aswel. His be bathed etc. His been exploring his new house :) I've bought a spray bottle to moisten the floor and ordered an infrared thermometer. hope I've done it right. Looks much better anyway
You are awesome!