Horsefield not eating! Doesn't seem happy

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Temp is 44.6 degrees in there
Is it this high only under the basking light or all over the enclosure? It seems that even for the basking spot it might be too high. Again, I don't keep this species, so maybe off on that. Have you read "Beginners mistakes"? If not go to "search" and look it up. It covers most common tort keeping errors most of us have made at the beginning

Last edited:

Robinsmom

That's the highest temp in there and that's pointed it at the slate. I've had a look online and says it's at the high end of the temps but as it's on the slate seems fine. He was up waiting for my this morning so feeling a lot a better and his been out in the sun. Still not eating thou

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
That's the highest temp in there and that's pointed it at the slate. I've had a look online and says it's at the high end of the temps but as it's on the slate seems fine. He was up waiting for my this morning so feeling a lot a better and his been out in the sun. Still not eating thou
I see, slate will heat up from the lamp. Check the temp at substrate around it

Robinsmom

Around 36 on subtrate.
His still only eating pellets though. I've got parsley, cress, mint, thyme, dandelion leaves and tomato leaves in there and he rent touched any of it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You've done so much to help him already!

As he's just changing diets, it will take a while for him to try new things. Some of his previous foods were pretty high in sugar--like candy!--he won't want to eat healthier things right off. Be patient, he will not want to eat the new thingsand you'll feel guilty. :( Stay strong!

Mint and thyme are pretty strong smelling; not necessarily something he'll eat right away.

Tomato leaves are not a safe food, I'm afraid. It's good he won't eat them.

You've probably seen this list from others here before but if not, here are some safe foods. It's a good time of year for squash (courgette or pumpkin) leaves, if you've got friends with a garden. You can also add cress, chicories, endive, or frisee from the grocery store for the time being. If you can find radishes or turnips with tops on, give the leaves a good rinse and soak and try them.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Nasturiums
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nipplewort
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard
Vetch

Last edited:

Robinsmom

Thank you. I read about tom leaves being ok. It's so hard with different info everywhere. I've bought a tomato tree for nothing lol. I'll try find some of those. Strange he will eat the pellets and not good. He wasn't even eating the high sugar foods. I'm taking him the vet next week just incase. So fingers crossed

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you. I read about tom leaves being ok. It's so hard with different info everywhere.

It definitely is hard! Much of what you find on the internet or care sheets is out of date. Even your vet may not know the best things to suggest, unless he's experienced with reptiles.

It gets easier.