Horsefield not eating much recently

PGD46

Hi all

My 2 & half year old Horsefield Jerry has recently reduced the amount he is eating by at least half! He has always had quite a good appetite and enjoys lots of different things. We usually give him a good mix of things but his favourites are definitely dandelions and tomato (we only give him it occasionally - the squishy bit, no seeds,). But a few weeks ago he stopped eating dandelions so we switch to mixed leaves and carrot peels but he didn't seem interested.

The only thing I can get him to eat is tomato - which I know isn't very good for him - but he still doesn't eat much. Which means he also hasn't been going to the loo very often recently either.
I spoke to the breeder who I got him from and she advised me to turn the heat up just a smidge and he did seem to perk up again for a day or two but now he is back to hiding under the substrate and not eating. I have been bathing him more often and that usually results in him pooing so that's helped.

We have noticed over the past few days that the heat lamp didn't seem to be coming on - we thought it was broken but now we aren't sure whether it is just not coming on because the room he lives in is hotter because of the sunny weather. I am thinking of putting a thermometer in the room to see. Could he be getting too hot in this sunny weather?

Does anyone have any ways of encouraging him to eat other things?

Thanks

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Temp is probably the culprit. I would definately set up several thermometers. You need to know the basking temp, cool side, warm side and night low.

Turtleneck123

How is he now?
His basking spot should be 90 to 100 degrees and his cool side should be 70-80 degrees. Nighttime temperatures can drop to 60

Also how big is his enclosure, is he getting enough air etc.

If you could post a picture of him in his enclosure that would be great :)