Horsefield recently not eating as much

KGRoberts

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, England
Hi all, just a few questions.
1. My horsefield has recently began to not eat anywhere near as much as they used to and was wondering if they were setting themselves up for hibernation. Mine is only a few months old and didn’t believe they did this until they are a at least few years old.
2. I did change the calcium powder recently as the place I usually get it from didn’t have it in stock and thought maybe this could be why they aren’t eating as much
3. Finally are all of these foods ok for my tort to eat as I’ve seen mixed reviews about some of the foods on this list

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It doesn't matter what age the tortoise is, when they sense the shorter days, colder nights, they start thinking about brumation. You must keep the lights on for 12-14 hours a day, and if your enclosure is near a window, cover the window so he can't sense the shorter days outside. Fresh weeds and produce are best for feeding tortoises. So if you don't want your tortoise to brumate, soak him daily and make sure his enclosure is warm during the day with only a slight drop in temperature at night. Offer him fresh weeds or produce. Sometimes it's pretty hard to get them out of brumation mode. Let us know how you fare.

KGRoberts

Birmingham, England
Thanks for advice. Think he just isn’t a fan of cucumber or whatever else it was I had gave him day before. Gave him dandelion leaves today and ate the lot after being bathed. Thanks again

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ps - i know you didn't ask, and maybe have since switched out, but it looks like you are using those rabbit pellets as your substrate? If so, take a read through the TFO for recommended substrates, and why those pellets are bad.
Good luck

KGRoberts

Birmingham, England
Ps - i know you didn't ask, and maybe have since switched out, but it looks like you are using those rabbit pellets as your substrate? If so, take a read through the TFO for recommended substrates, and why those pellets are bad.
Good luck
Yes I have changed the pellets since. I now use this and he seems much better on it

Attachments

• 169E9E09-BE7C-45EF-B473-5D639A156241.png
    169E9E09-BE7C-45EF-B473-5D639A156241.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6