Horsefield Tortoise 1yo, can I take for walks? e.g. to a grassy green field...

paulopierrex

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hiya,

I am a completely new tortoise mum as well as a new member of this forum so I am hoping another kind soul could help me with my question...

I have a lovely horsefield tortoise, Paulo-Pierre, he is a year old and full of character. I live in an apartment and he usually roams around in his vivarium, that is absolutely huge! I could use it as a coffee table

With the current pandemic/isolation stuff going on, I have more time to take walks...I was wondering if, at all, I could take Paulo along with me and he can graze? If so, at what age is this suitable? He is quite diddy at the moment

I do not want to stress him out with new surroundings, or stress him out in general...I love the calmness about him so it would be uncomfortable to see :(

Thank you for taking the time to read this as it is unnecessarily long :) what else is there to do right now? haha

ronnie x

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings...

Usually, taking your tort to a random park (in a city) where there are groundskeepers n such spraying all kinds of stuff to keep the weeds away is not recommended. If there are weeds growing all over & wild plants & it’s not nest n tidy, then maybe yess. But, nest n tidy n no weeds..... best to skip.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ronnie: If it were me, I would NOT allow my tortoise outside unless he is in his own dedicated yard/enclosure. One never knows what toxic sprays or chemicals might be on the grass/weeds you allow your tortoise to eat outside. Also, once you let him know there's a bigger world outside of his indoor enclosure, he's going to always be restless, trying to escape and get back out there.