Horsefield tortoise hatchling not growing

EE torts

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hello!! so i got my horsefield tortoise pebbles about 6 months ago so he is almost 7 months i don't know if you consider that a hatchling... but anyways he has been gaining weight he was 16 grams when i got him now 26 grams so i think thats good weight gain, but my concern is he has not grown when i first got him his SCL was 1.5 inches now its 1.5 inches so... NO GROWTH? could he be stunted? i was looking at some pictures of some 6 month old horsefields and they our all so big and pebbles is still the size of a 1 month old i will show you some pictures. thanks!! top one is pebbles!.
Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.44.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.51.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.54.25 PM.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just make sure your heat/light parameters are what are suggested in the baby russian care sheet and it should be ok. They all grow at different rates.

daniellenc

Maryland
They all grow at different rates so comparing will only lead to worry. What are you feeding, how often, how is he housed, what are your temps? All these things contribute to growth but genetics do as well. If your husbandry is good relax and feed away they all grow.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Tortoises grow at different rates. Here's a picture of two of my baby Russians. They are from the same clutch and both hatched on the same day (July 31, 2018), so are currently between 6-7 months in age.

One is growing faster than the other. I had to separate them at 2 months of age because both were displaying bullying behavior. The smaller of the two is thriving, just at a slower rate. This morning the larger one weighed 66 grams, and the smaller one weighed 34 grams. Both are just fine.IMG_20190112_074447_366.jpeg

EE torts

USA
Tortoises grow at different rates. Here's a picture of two of my baby Russians. They are from the same clutch and both hatched on the same day (July 31, 2018), so are currently between 6-7 months in age.

One is growing faster than the other. I had to separate them at 2 months of age because both were displaying bullying behavior. The smaller of the two is thriving, just at a slower rate. This morning the larger one weighed 66 grams, and the smaller one weighed 34 grams. Both are just fine.View attachment 265590
Oh wow thats a big difference!! i will stop worrying so much :) could there be a chance that the bigger one will be a female and smaller one will be a male?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Oh wow thats a big difference!! i will stop worrying so much :) could there be a chance that the bigger one will be a female and smaller one will be a male?
Both were incubated at 89 degrees to encourage development as females, but that's never guaranteed. I refer to them as females and they have female names (Kapeka and Nikita), but I can't confirm for another few years if they are females, or end up being males, or even one of each. They will be part of my breeding program regardless.