Horsefield tortoise loves blankets

IronT

Location (City and/or State)
Sunderland England
Hi there,

My horsefield tortoise which is around 1 years old loves to sleep in a blanket/towel. He will constantly attempt to burrow into the habitat wall if he doesn’t have one, However I have been reading this may be a problem. The temps are around 13c-16c on a night. I’m not to sure on the severity of this issue any help would be appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First it should not go below 60F at night. Second, the blanket is doing nothing to keep him warm. It also could be a fire hazard. They also just shouldn't have blankets. Post a pic of the enclosure so we can help you tweak it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there,

My horsefield tortoise which is around 1 years old loves to sleep in a blanket/towel. He will constantly attempt to burrow into the habitat wall if he doesn’t have one, However I have been reading this may be a problem. The temps are around 13c-16c on a night. I’m not to sure on the severity of this issue any help would be appreciated.
How did you discover this? Why did your tortoise have access to a blanket/towel in its enclosure in the first place?

Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom: