Horsefield tortoise low white blood cells

Shellysmum

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Hi All,

This is my first time on the forum. Last year My 13 year old female horsefield was acting out of character, very active, climbing etc. When we took her to the vets they said it was due to her age and that she might be reaching reproductive age.

A few months ago she had crackly breathing, not breathing through her nostrils and after a course of injections this cleared up.

Last week she started behaving like the way she did last summer, however she had also passed urine with a green tinge and grainy texture to the urate so we took her to the vet.

Ultrasound showed egg follicles which explains the behaviour and the vet took bloods. I got a call back this evening to say her blood works had changed quite a bit from what they were a few months ago. Some was to be expected and are consistent with her egg follicles however they said her white blood cells were low and that there were inclusion bodies in her red blood cells. They say this could be an indicator of chronic or viral disease and have suggested further viral testing.They have also asked me to pick up antibiotics to get her started while they continue to do tests.

Has anyone else’s Horsefield ever had similar issues? I’m worried sick

Thanks

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi All,

This is my first time on the forum. Last year My 13 year old female horsefield was acting out of character, very active, climbing etc. When we took her to the vets they said it was due to her age and that she might be reaching reproductive age.

A few months ago she had crackly breathing, not breathing through her nostrils and after a course of injections this cleared up.

Last week she started behaving like the way she did last summer, however she had also passed urine with a green tinge and grainy texture to the urate so we took her to the vet.

Ultrasound showed egg follicles which explains the behaviour and the vet took bloods. I got a call back this evening to say her blood works had changed quite a bit from what they were a few months ago. Some was to be expected and are consistent with her egg follicles however they said her white blood cells were low and that there were inclusion bodies in her red blood cells. They say this could be an indicator of chronic or viral disease and have suggested further viral testing.They have also asked me to pick up antibiotics to get her started while they continue to do tests.

Has anyone else’s Horsefield ever had similar issues? I’m worried sick

Thanks
If the tortoise has a viral infection, antibiotics will not kill a virus. The only reason to use antibiotics is for a bacterial infection. If a bacterial infection was not diagnosed, you can forget giving the antibiotics as it will not help.

Shellysmum

Glasgow
All she said was it could be chronic disease or viral disease and want to do further tests. She says the antibiotics are a precaution

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
All she said was it could be chronic disease or viral disease and want to do further tests. She says the antibiotics are a precaution
Then that's a tough choice whether to give antibiotics. Antibiotics work for bacteria, but at the same time, they are hard on torts. Often a tort will stop eating while on them.

Is the vet an exotics vet? Do you trust her? I think that answer might decide for you.

I hope it's figured out quickly so your baby feels great very soon!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
pretty sure treating an animal with even a known viral infection with antibiotics is a common protocol ...... i think animals sick with viral infections are more susceptible to and often have bacterial co-infections .....