Horsefield tortoise sleeping all the time and not wanting to eat

asodhi

Location (City and/or State)
Camberley
Hi Guys,

New to this form so apologies if I had added this to the wrong place.

My mum got a horsefield tortoise about 4 years ago and has been in good health (that we are aware of) until recently. Over the past 2/3 weeks she has decided to sleep almost all of the time and isn't really interested in eating.

I will be uploading some photos of her home when I am next at my mums but in the meantime, I thought it would be good to get some initial help.. My main concern after some reading is the light and heat set up.. At the moment she has an Arcadia d3 uv basking lamp 80w - When she was first purchased this was what the pet shop recommended as it provided the light and heat source needed. Under the light the temps are around 30/32 for 12 hours a day. In her bedroom she has a heatmatt on the ceiling but I am not sure what the temps are in there.

Since she was little (almost as soon as we got her) she has had a poorly left eye, we have taken her to the vets a few times and got eye drops, which never really did anything either.

We try and path her a couple of times a week but again I have read that maybe upping that would be a good idea? When she does eat, it's all greens really. She likes rocket, cucumber, mustard & crest and the occasional fruit as a treat.

Is there anything we could be doing differently or should be doing? My other worry is she may want to hibernate, again I have seen mixed things about this. Some people say it should be done and some say it shouldn't.

Again apologies for any naivety I just want to make sure little Raph is doing okay.

Thanks,

Alex

asodhi

Location (City and/or State)
Camberley
Found some old photos my mum sent, they aren't the best but will give you a bit of an idea of her set up. The layout has changed a little.. Where the log is we now have her water bowl and where the slab is we have a food bowl for her

Attachments

• IMG_3405.JPG
    IMG_3405.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3430.JPG
    IMG_3430.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21