Horsefield tortoises - advice

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
@TheLastGreen @Lyn W @Tom @maggie3fan

Hi everyone! I just want to thank you all for your advice and reassurance yesterday. I wish I’d found this forum and your guys care sheets earlier! I hope I haven’t come across as ignorant with all of my questions, I’m still learning and will continue to learn. As you know, the info I’ve been following up to now was very conflicting online info where everyone had a different opinion, but the care sheet seems solid and I’ll absolutely learn from it. I must admit, I feel quite anxious because of the stuff I’ve yet to do, like changing the lighting and getting a bigger table. Sourcing these items isn’t an issue, I just hope I haven’t done it too late and my little guy will be okay. We’ve only had him a week and he is super active, hand feeds, steps onto our hands out of the table, such a little personality and ridiculously confident. I just hope he’s okay, I couldn’t forgive myself if I’ve done him damage with what I thought was an ideal setup. I’m sure I’ll be pestering you guys at some point for some advice, it’s just nice to know there’s people out there like you lot that are willing to help.

PS ive attached a picture of little sully enjoying a treat, ready for a big munch!

Attachments

• 69925B8E-D4F3-45C6-BC0C-9E1EF470C9E6.png
    69925B8E-D4F3-45C6-BC0C-9E1EF470C9E6.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 19

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Hi everyone! I just want to thank you all for your advice and reassurance yesterday. I wish I’d found this forum and your guys care sheets earlier! I hope I haven’t come across as ignorant with all of my questions, I’m still learning and will continue to learn. As you know, the info I’ve been following up to now was very conflicting online info where everyone had a different opinion, but the care sheet seems solid and I’ll absolutely learn from it. I must admit, I feel quite anxious because of the stuff I’ve yet to do, like changing the lighting and getting a bigger table. Sourcing these items isn’t an issue, I just hope I haven’t done it too late and my little guy will be okay. We’ve only had him a week and he is super active, hand feeds, steps onto our hands out of the table, such a little personality and ridiculously confident. I just hope he’s okay, I couldn’t forgive myself if I’ve done him damage with what I thought was an ideal setup. I’m sure I’ll be pestering you guys at some point for some advice, it’s just nice to know there’s people out there like you lot that are willing to help.

PS ive attached a picture of little sully enjoying a treat, ready for a big munch!
It's great that you are willing to accept advice for the benefit of your tort, James. We've all been given wrong information and had to learn from our mistakes or from those of others - tortoises don't come with handbooks - but thankfully we've found this forum and been able to put things right. It's never too late to give torts a better life so please ask as many questions as you need - there's no such thing as a silly/ignorant question here. I've been a member for almost 8 years but still learn new things here.
I'm pleased your little one is settling on OK and will look forward to seeing how he gets on.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg

Don't worry, there's a lot to learn about torts, so I'm glad you're willing to learn, It'll only better your tort!
It's never too late, I have a leopard that I got about a month ago, 5 years old and stunted, should be a giant by now, but still small, I've followed the caresheets and she's already showing new growth!
(Don't worry, sometimes I ask 3 questions a day, and people are always willing to help)
Your tort is flourishing, damage won't come quick but it often times happens over a long time, but it is extremely good that you are observant and willing to sort anything out quick, so your tort will flourish!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Many many of us have made mistakes before finding this forum, you are not alone.
You are doing the right thing by reading up on this forum, asking questions and making changes.