Horsfield newbies

J0J0

Location (City and/or State)
UK, Cheshire
Hi all, Jo and Dan here. Got a horsfield hatchling about 18 weeks old on 11th Feb. Only seen it eat twice not seen any poo. Doesn't seem to move a great deal. Spends most time in the hide or buried in a corner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 20180215_183402.jpg20180220_180305.jpg20180220_175938.jpg20180220_175932.jpg20180220_175926.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Please give these links a read and come back with questions.
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
What is your substrate? It looks much too dry.
You have a compact bulb. Compact bulbs often burn tortoises’ eyes, and do not produce enough uvb. You need a mercury vapor bulb, or a tube fluorescent.
Move your thermometer down. You want to check the temps at your tortoise’s level, not the middle of the wall.
Get rid of the hay. It allows for no moisture, because it molds.
What is your humidity? It looks very dry in there.
Replace the water bowl with a terra cotta saucer.
What is your basking spot temp?

J0J0

UK, Cheshire
Hi TechnoCheese, thanks for the feedback.
Substrate is sterilized top soil part of a 20 Litre bag from local shop.
UBV Bulb is Compact Fluorescent Vivarium Lamp Light 10.0 UVB UVA UV 13W ES Screw off Amazon, will look into a tube.
Wasn't really sure where to put the thermometer, will move it down (and more than likely get a couple more for hot and cold ends).
Humidity was never mentioned have when we got the tortoise, dont currently have any way to check it today, will remove the hay, whats the best way to increase the humidity?

The Water bowl came with the vivarium , will get a new dish .
Basking temp is around 30 C ~ 86 F

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi TechnoCheese, thanks for the feedback.
Substrate is sterilized top soil part of a 20 Litre bag from local shop.
UBV Bulb is Compact Fluorescent Vivarium Lamp Light 10.0 UVB UVA UV 13W ES Screw off Amazon, will look into a tube.
Wasn't really sure where to put the thermometer, will move it down (and more than likely get a couple more for hot and cold ends).
Humidity was never mentioned have when we got the tortoise, dont currently have any way to check it today, will remove the hay, whats the best way to increase the humidity?

The Water bowl came with the vivarium , will get a new dish .
Basking temp is around 30 C ~ 86 F

Your basking temp is much too low, and needs to be 95-100.
Looks like you have a closed chamber, so you should just spray it with a spray bottle and dump water into the substrate.
I would change the substrate to cypress mulch, coco coir, peat moss, or orchid bark. Top soil just turns into mud when wet.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome JoJo! We are glad you are here asking questions and open to feedback. Don’t feel bad about following the info you got wen you bought him, most places have out of date information on tortoise keeping.

Your adorable tortoise is indeed very dry. Has he been soaking himself in that water dish? If not, he needs a soak as soon as possible. Read the care sheet for babies. Put him in a container with sides that he can’t see out of. Slightly warmer than lukewarm water, halfway up the shell. He should not have to struggle to keep his head out of the water but will intentionally put his head down or into the water to drink. Keep the water from getting cold and leave him there at least thirty minutes.

You’ll need to soak him twice a day for the time being.

And get yourself a cheap laser heat gun; much more useful than those stick ons: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Etekcity-L...pID=41ioZvU751L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch.

After you get everything shipshape, he’ll still hide and burrow a lot while he is a baby; that’s how he keeps from getting eaten by predators in the wild.

J0J0

UK, Cheshire
Your basking temp is much too low, and needs to be 95-100.
Looks like you have a closed chamber, so you should just spray it with a spray bottle and dump water into the substrate.
I would change the substrate to cypress mulch, coco coir, peat moss, or orchid bark. Top soil just turns into mud when wet.

Many thanks for you help/reply Dan has been out today to buy some adequate substrate for Zedla and we have also now changed her basking temp. We have a bought a terracotta pot for her to bathe in so she will be having a dip tonight! Feel so bad now as she's such a cute little thing an we just want her to be happy an healthy...... Thanks :):)

J0J0

UK, Cheshire
Welcome JoJo! We are glad you are here asking questions and open to feedback. Don’t feel bad about following the info you got wen you bought him, most places have out of date information on tortoise keeping.

Your adorable tortoise is indeed very dry. Has he been soaking himself in that water dish? If not, he needs a soak as soon as possible. Read the care sheet for babies. Put him in a container with sides that he can’t see out of. Slightly warmer than lukewarm water, halfway up the shell. He should not have to struggle to keep his head out of the water but will intentionally put his head down or into the water to drink. Keep the water from getting cold and leave him there at least thirty minutes.

You’ll need to soak him twice a day for the time being.

And get yourself a cheap laser heat gun; much more useful than those stick ons: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Etekcity-L...pID=41ioZvU751L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch.

After you get everything shipshape, he’ll still hide and burrow a lot while he is a baby; that’s how he keeps from getting eaten by predators in the wild.

Hiya Rosemary, thanks for you reply, I'm in love with little Zelda an we want her happy an healthy, so we are going to be making a lot of adjustments tonight. My husband has bought her some new substrate and a different bathing dish today. She had a bathe this morning but I will be sure to do it again once my husband is home with her new things. She does tend to take her self out of the bath at times but I'm wandering if it is somethimes a little too cool as she practically runs out of it! We never had any idea they liked humidity as it was never mentioned but we are going to do our upmost now to make her vivarium fit for for a queen :<3::tort: x

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
She does tend to take her self out of the bath at times but I'm wandering if it is somethimes a little too cool as she practically runs out of it!

I don’t know about babies but my adult Russian doesn’t love soaking, especially if she’s warm. What I do is to soak her in the morning, when she is still sluggish. That, along with wam water, usually keeps her tolerant for ten minutes or so and then she is warmed up and DONE. She’s an adult and doesn’t need much so I don’t keep her in there after that point.

Your baby needs more right now; you can always change out a little of the water that’s been sitting there with more hot water. That should help.

J0J0

UK, Cheshire
Hiya Rosemary, thanks for you reply, I'm in love with little Zelda an we want her happy an healthy, so we are going to be making a lot of adjustments tonight. My husband has bought her some new substrate and a different bathing dish today. She had a bathe this morning but I will be sure to do it again once my husband is home with her new things. She does tend to take her self out of the bath at times but I'm wandering if it is somethimes a little too cool as she practically runs out of it! We never had any idea they liked humidity as it was never mentioned but we are going to do our upmost now to make her vivarium fit for for a queen :<3::tort: x
I don’t know about babies but my adult Russian doesn’t love soaking, especially if she’s warm. What I do is to soak her in the morning, when she is still sluggish. That, along with wam water, usually keeps her tolerant for ten minutes or so and then she is warmed up and DONE. She’s an adult and doesn’t need much so I don’t keep her in there after that point.

Your baby needs more right now; you can always change out a little of the water that’s been sitting there with more hot water. That should help.

She seems to tolerate it better in the morning when she's half asleep, tried to bathe her again tonight an she was having none of it! Had to put her in a bowl in the end so she couldn't get out but she definately was not happy about it. I will keep persevering though ;) xx

J0J0

UK, Cheshire
Our little Zelda has been so active tonight an its been great to see, we've witnessed her eating an she's had 2 baths today! We took on board all of the advice given and it already seems to have made a massive difference. She's eaten, bathed roamed all over her vivarium and even burried herself in the substrate that deeply we thought we must of lost her! BIG thanks to all of you for the advice given, We seem to have a very satisfield little lady (or boy) today. We will post some pictures shortly of the modified vivarium.............. Thanks again :tort::<3:

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Our little Zelda has been so active tonight an its been great to see, we've witnessed her eating an she's had 2 baths today! We took on board all of the advice given and it already seems to have made a massive difference. She's eaten, bathed roamed all over her vivarium and even burried herself in the substrate that deeply we thought we must of lost her! BIG thanks to all of you for the advice given, We seem to have a very satisfield little lady (or boy) today. We will post some pictures shortly of the modified vivarium.............. Thanks again :tort::<3:
That is so good to hear! Welcome to the forum! Russians are the best ;) And you will find that s/he will become a complete piggy after all the changes. When the environment is right they love to eat!!

J0J0

UK, Cheshire
That is so good to hear! Welcome to the forum! Russians are the best ;) And you will find that s/he will become a complete piggy after all the changes. When the environment is right they love to eat!!
Haha, we were all utterly delighted when we seen her munching! The help has been great :tort:

J0J0

UK, Cheshire
Much happier tortoise. Basking temp up to around 37C. Plenty humidity, glass gets condensation on it. Just waiting for the UV tube holder to arrive to replace the compat bulb. Big thanks for all the advice and comments.

Attachments

• 20180224_164944.jpg
    20180224_164944.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180224_164928.jpg
    20180224_164928.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180224_164952.jpg
    20180224_164952.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 13