Horsfield Weight!

Dan Tennick

Hi all :)

Just wondering if someone can offer me some advice as i'm literally panicking at the moment.

I got my gorgeous 1 Year old Horsfield Tort last Tuesday and he weighed 64g, now when i've weighed him today after his bath, he weigh's 69g?!
That's 5g in just 7 days!! I'm so worried i cant settle!

I don't even know how, he has been on a diet of weeds and flowers and is fed daily for 20 minutes. I also soak him for 20 mins 3 times a week. He is active though, the past week here in the UK has been so hot, he has been in the garden for around 3 -4 hours a day just exploring, digging and climbing.

I have attached a few pics of him eating his lunch today, freshly picked Dandelions.

image (6).jpeg image (7).jpeg image (9).jpeg

Thank you very much,

Dan

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hi,

Well..I can't explain why he weighs more after the bath then less.
Most of the times they poop during the bath and that weighs a few grams give or take.
But it might have been just a weight gain from a different diet and/or more available food.

He is a very young tort, so he is suppose to grow....
It doesn't seem like you are doing something wrong, and don't forget... when they roam outside, they eat as well...
As much as they can and as they want.

Sounds like an ordinary young tort growing..... Variances in weight can occur due to several factors.
But this slowly gaining weight and it being a young tort , seems normal to me.

As long as he keeps on eating normal and you don't overfeed him weight gain is normal and healthy... he still has a lot to grow:)

Sounds like you are doing a good job, take a breather.

I can relate... my new Russian tort lost weight in a short period of time and it made me scared too.
But she is slowly climbing back up again.

As a guideline you could check the McIntyre Ratio for Horsfield's tortoises.
Which I added as an attachment.

However, I understand that you shouldn't stare blindly at it as absolute truth...
Every animal is an individual, and of course these are statistics.
Nevertheless, they came in handy for me as a guideline.

Take care, hope I helped a bit.

Joey

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 21

Dan Tennick

Thank you for your info and advice :)

I really do feel so much at ease now you've said that. I'm only a new owner and i've already fallen in love with the little guy! Id just hate to think i was contributing to possible bad health :/ thats the last thing i want for him! :/

Thank you again! :)

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Thank you for your info and advice :)

I really do feel so much at ease now you've said that. I'm only a new owner and i've already fallen in love with the little guy! Id just hate to think i was contributing to possible bad health :/ thats the last thing i want for him! :/

Thank you again! :)

Youre welcome, the obsessing and worrying, and perfectionism comes with the new hobby :p .... I can relate....
You'll get more comfortable when you learn more, get some good books and read up and take in as much knowledge as you can, you'll do fine.

Joey

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Here's a formula to see the MINIMAL weight that your Russian shouldn't get under.

Measure the caparace (bottom) of your Russians shell, convert that I centimeters. For example, my Russian is 4.25 inches long, that's 10.8 cm long. I would then use the measurement in cm an multiply it three times. 10.8X10.8x10.8= 1,259.71....you then take that number and multiply it by .191. That will give you the number in grams that your Russian should not get under, otherwise it's considered unhealthy. I hope this makes sense

———-------------------------
(This is my signature)
Here's some great plant identification websites I use.

http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/diet.htm#plantlist

http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp