Hot humid hide problems

Sward91

Hello! I am new to tortoise keeping and have recently purchased 2 Hermanni hermanni from a captive breeder in the Uk.

I have researched into hot humid hides but I am struggling to get humidity. My tortoises are kept on a table which I have recently covered with some poly carb which has slightly helped in keeping temps etc.
For the humid hide I currently use a plastic tub, layered with a base of coco coir and topped with sphagnum moss. It is wet/damp (not swimming) in consistency. I am using a CHE in a ceramic lamp holder to direct the heat a little better as it's cold here in the Uk at the minute. This is giving temps of 27c. The problem - humidity is only reading 60% after a warm spray daily?

Any help would be appreciated. My babies (7months) have signs of early pyramiding so I need to nip this in the bud ASAP!

Regards

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sounds like your overall ambient humidity is also too low. If humidity inside your hide is that low, there is too much airflow somehow. Maybe the opening is too big? In my experience, babies will fare much better with the stability and higher humidity of a closed vivarium (as you folks across the pond call it), than an open table, which is fine for adults.

Also, what are you using for substrate? I have found damp coco coir to be a good choice, as it allows them to burrow down into it and create their own little microclimates.

Last thing is: I would not house them together. Pairs can be a recipe for disaster, regardless of sex. They are not friends, they are competitors and combatants for the same resources and territories. Even as babies and juveniles. Groups will usually fare okay until they start nearing maturity and the males begin their actual physical combat, but pairs are just too personal and confrontational.

Sward91

Hi Tom.
thanks for the advice.

I will check humidity in the table, it has increased by nearly 10% in the hide since the table has been covered with a small whole for lamp and CHE. What would be the best ambient humidity in the whole table? The opening to the humid hide is literally as big as them.

Substrate wise I use top soil which I have mixed in coco coir? Or would coir be better on its own? My two don't bury down? Just sit in the corners?

I will look into seperating them. I do feed and bath them apart.

Tom said:
Sounds like your overall ambient humidity is also too low. If humidity inside your hide is that low, there is too much airflow somehow. Maybe the opening is too big? In my experience, babies will fare much better with the stability and higher humidity of a closed vivarium (as you folks across the pond call it), than an open table, which is fine for adults.

Also, what are you using for substrate? I have found damp coco coir to be a good choice, as it allows them to burrow down into it and create their own little microclimates.

Last thing is: I would not house them together. Pairs can be a recipe for disaster, regardless of sex. They are not friends, they are competitors and combatants for the same resources and territories. Even as babies and juveniles. Groups will usually fare okay until they start nearing maturity and the males begin their actual physical combat, but pairs are just too personal and confrontational.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Something seems more wrong here. Thinking your equipment is faulty .how cold do you keep your houses across the pond???...I'm thinking cold drafty,damp.....why are you guys reluctant to suggest belly heat,,sphagnum??think warm nest type of hide away.....isn't it slow down time for those types of torts anyway....diffuse the basking lights!the torts can bask longer if needed,DONT TOAST your torts......maybe a smaller environment might get you a better handle on what they need.are they small hatchlings?......I really think your readings are of ,your getting a reading of the air right next to the hot chi......even if the tort was sitting in shallow water the hot lights and or chi will still dry that shell into pyramiding ....ever see torts walking around with the substrate on their backs.?

Sward91

I have just received a new hygrometer so have put it in the hide (ordered one without a probe - what an idiot) so will give it an hour or so before checking. 75% of table was coming up as 82f (away from heat source's) and 78% humidity.... So the equipment is faulty!!? House is currently 20c (4c outside) sphagnum is in there too. I did wind them down but they went from 30g to 24g in 4 days... Too much loss? Nope never seen them dirty. I check them a lot in day and night and never buried down...

Will check hide after school run. Thinking equipment is completely out though!! Thanks