House is getting tented for termites, could this be lethal for our tortoise later?

C_P808

5 Year Member
In about a month, our house is going to be tented to kill the nasty termite infestation we have. I live in Hawaii where it is pretty much a problem for everyone. Of course while the house is tented, we will be taking our 3 year old Sulcata Tortoise with us to a friends house. So after the tenting is removed, he'll be kept away for a good few days. But I'm worried once we return him to the house, if the poison/chemicals that were used could possibly linger around outside in the grass and kill him. He lives in the backyard 24/7. He sleeps in a dirt hole he dug and eats the grass around the yard all day long. But we usually feed him additional greens every day or every other day. What do you all think? Once the tenting is done and a few days go by, should it be safe? Or maybe I should keep him from eating the stuff in the yard for awhile to come?

C_P808

5 Year Member
Just a few extra details: the company we are using claims they use a "low chemical" gas that makes them safer than most other pest control companies. They state that humans and pets can move back in as soon as 3 hours after the tent is removed. Though it will be about 4 days till our tortoise returns. I'm just so paranoid the grass will be tainted. He eats everything too, so IDK if there was something in the grass, if it would stop him from eating it. Guess it could also be worth calling them up and asking about this situation.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Will they tell you specifically what chemical they are using? Maybe get the MSDS.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
But still contact them, and get them to confirm in writing the safety of the product for pets after the event.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My house has been tented twice. They gas once it recedes is no longer present. It's a gas. not a liquid chemical. You'll be fine.
Aren't termites great?