Houses for Russians

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
Just don't do it.

Over the last 3 years, watching my Russians, reading about Russians and seeninghow others keep them I have learned then need a "Hide" not a house.
I have used full round plastic pots buried in the ground with dirt on top or rocks in some places. I keep reading about people who's tortoises dig under the house. I think this is because they like and want a tight space to feel secure. With my pots they have little room over top of them but plenty to turn around.

Just an opinion I thought I'd share.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is the first year my Russians have used their house at all - and they've dug under it, they don't go inside it. All the years up to now, they've dug under clumps of grass out in the middle of the pen for hiding places. I'm glad they're actually digging under their house because it will be much easier to find them in the fall when they dig in to hibernate.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Just don't do it.

Over the last 3 years, watching my Russians, reading about Russians and seeninghow others keep them I have learned then need a "Hide" not a house.
I have used full round plastic pots buried in the ground with dirt on top or rocks in some places. I keep reading about people who's tortoises dig under the house. I think this is because they like and want a tight space to feel secure. With my pots they have little room over top of them but plenty to turn around.

Just an opinion I thought I'd share.
Do you have some pictures of your hides?

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I used playground chips to cover the ground. The wet dirt here in Central CA is cold in the spring. The pots were filled above the half way point.