Housing 2 radiated different sizes safe?

kobe629

5 Year Member
I currently have a radiated over a year old that is 205 gram supposedly female but nothing confirmed. Then I recently found another radiated that is for sale and I'm so tempted to purchase him. But he is 400 grams bigger. Do you guys think it is safe to mix them together? Currently I have my radiated in a 36x28x18 vision cage. It is just so hard to find radiated tortoises here in Los Angeles since I don't own a captive breed license or I am stuck to purchase them from a local pet store and pay an arm and leg.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You will need to quarantine, so an additional enclosure is necessary anyway. Maybe at the end of quarantine they will be better suited to living together. I really don't recommend tortoises living in pairs. most often you end up with one being dominant and the other failing to thrive.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Yvonnes post and we really dont recommend tortoises in pairs. Usually one is a bully and the other one fails to thrive because of the bully

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Quarantine is essential if you get another tort. You must make sure that neither makes the other sick by keeping them entirely separately for at least 6 months.

You must have two enclosures.

Thereafter, pairs are never recommended. Tortoises are loners that don't need, want or particularly like company. A tortoise sees another as a rival for food and space.

There is always a dominant animal and the subordinate one gets bullied physically or mentally, fails to thrive and can become very sick indeed.

Mixing species isn't recommended as they all tolerate different things. "Germs" that one is fine with could kill another.

Groups of three or more tortoises of the same species, of similar size and with no more than one male may succeed in a very large enclosure - at least 8'x4' per tortoise - but there are no guarantees and you should only ever keep as many tortoises as you are able to keep separately.

N

no one

I second what the people before me said. But can't you get another enclosure if you want the Radiated Tortoise so bad? And pictures please?? I like the Radiated Tortoises. *smile*

kobe629

5 Year Member
Thanks guys that is what I figured. Someone told me different because they are radiated. I had the same issue with my Indians I housed 3 of them together since they were small and the largest one the male bullied and kept chasing and trying to hump her and they were only 2 or 3 years old. But I do plan to quarantine them especially at that price. I would just like to put them together eventually when they get older. So you guys think if I had 2 girls and 1 male i could house them together when they are older? I have a place to house them that is 12x4 outside when they are ready.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with what everyone else said: Quarantine, no pairs.

Also, there are plenty of breeders in CA. I'd never buy one from a pet store. What does the pet store charge out of curiosity? They can be had for about $1000 each from a breeder.

kobe629

5 Year Member
I agree with what everyone else said: Quarantine, no pairs.

Also, there are plenty of breeders in CA. I'd never buy one from a pet store. What does the pet store charge out of curiosity? They can be had for about $1000 each from a breeder.

It all depends on size from what I have seen hatchlings cost 1500-1900 but plus tax. Could you pm California breeders I would eventually like to add another one or two to my collection but something that is around the same size.