Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Stacked-up cinder blocks work ok for the first 15 years or so of a sulcata's life, but when he starts getting too big, he demolishes that type of house in no time at all. So for this reason and because I'm trying to cut down on my electric bill this winter, I have built Dudley a new house. Here's what the original cinderblock house looked like:

Dudleysshedoriginal.jpg

It was just cinder blocks stacked on top of each other, lined with the 4'x8'sheets of styrofoam (cut to fit) and lined again with 1/4" plywood to protect the styrofoam. After about 10 years, Dudley started tearing down the house and so I started demolition:

Dudleysshed-1tearingdown.jpg

I put cement blocks down for the under-layment, then a sheet of 1/2" plywood:

Dudleysshed-2framing.jpg

I wasn't thinking clearly, and forgot to lay down the rubber stall mat before I started framing, so I had to cut the mat to fit:

Dudleysshed-3.jpg

More framing pictures:

Dudleysshed-4.jpg

Dudleysshed-5.jpg

Dudleysshed-6.jpg

A shot of the inside of one side:

Dudleysshed-7.jpg

Dudleysshed-9.jpg

The program only allows 10 images per email, so I'll continue the thread in another email.

Yvonne

Finishing touches and adding the roof:

Dudleysshed-10.jpg

Dudleysshed-11.jpg

And as soon as I took down the barricade, Dudley had to come right in and check it out:

Dudleysshed-12.jpg

Dudleysshed-13.jpg

All that's left is clean-up and tearing down the other cinderblock house. But that's a job for the cooler weather, right Scarlett?

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to mention that the lids/roof of each side open independently of each other and are attached to a narrow strip at the back by piano hinges, which distribute the weight over the whole back edge.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Very nice enclosure Yvonne.
You did a really good job, Dudley must be all happy in his new duplex :D.
Where you live, what is the coldest temperature you can have during the winter?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The nights get down to freezing almost every night. Some nights it gets down into the 20's but that's rare, mostly 30's. The pig blankets and black light bulbs have kept my tortoises warm for about 12 years now.

Yvonne

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Nice job. I need to build something like that also but for 8 Sulcatas. What is the daytime temps in the winters? My winter nights can easily get into the 20's but usually in the low 30's but my concern is during the day when it may only get up to 40F if we're lucky. I don't believe that it would be a good idea to let them outside then.

M

Maggie Cummings

Chucky said:
Nice job. I need to build something like that also but for 8 Sulcatas. What is the daytime temps in the winters? My winter nights can easily get into the 20's but usually in the low 30's but my concern is during the day when it may only get up to 40F if we're lucky. I don't believe that it would be a good idea to let them outside then.

That depends how big your tortoises are. I keep mine in a heated shed with a doggie door and my Bob goes outside everyday.
I live in the frozen Northwest and Bob goes out no matter the outside temp. I have pictures of him trying to graze thru the snow. When he gets cold he goes back in and I see him doing that all day...in and out.
Tony is only 3 so I hadn't allowed him out in the really cold yet, but I will this year and see if Bob can teach Tony to go back in when he gets cold.
Personally, I think what you need with 8 Sulcata is a psychiatrist...lol
just teasin...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
Does he have access to both sides? Or just one at a time?

Dudley's pasture is divided up into three sections. The idea of it is that two of the sections are watered and growing while he is on the third section. Once a week he's supposed to be rotated to the next section. Problem is, once you've allowed a sulcata to "know" that there is a world on the other side of the fence, you can't keep him out of that world. He breaks down the fence. So to answer your question, no, he only has access to one side at a time, that is, unless he has broken down the fence between the two sides!

Yvonne

Chucky said:

The only time I block Dudley's door shut is at night. He can come out anytime during the day he wants to...no matter what the weather. We had snow one time and Dudley was out there with snow on his back. When he gets cold he goes back in on his own. Our normal daytime weather is usually in the 50's, but sometimes the 40's.

Yvonne

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yvonne, Dudley's new house looks great~! :D Did you use any sort of sealant on the interior? I'm in the process of building my shed for my Leo's (looks very similar to Dudley's) and, am not sure if/what I should use.

Thanks~!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jas2Cats said:
Yvonne, Dudley's new house looks great~! :D Did you use any sort of sealant on the interior? I'm in the process of building my shed for my Leo's (looks very similar to Dudley's) and, am not sure if/what I should use.

Thanks~!

I had a gallon of Thompson's water seal in my cart when I "accosted" a clerk to ask him for ideas on closing the door to the shed at night. He saw my gallon and said it wouldn't be a good idea to use that inside because the fumes last for a very long time. So, no, I didn't do any sealing of the wood on the inside. However, I did put a bead of silicone sealer on all the seams and between the floor and the walls.

Yvonne

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Jas2Cats said:

Thanks~!

I had a gallon of Thompson's water seal in my cart when I "accosted" a clerk to ask him for ideas on closing the door to the shed at night. He saw my gallon and said it wouldn't be a good idea to use that inside because the fumes last for a very long time. So, no, I didn't do any sealing of the wood on the inside. However, I did put a bead of silicone sealer on all the seams and between the floor and the walls.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne~!

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great job Yvonne! Everytime my husband and I see pictures of your sulcatas enclosures we are again tempted to provide a home for one - your latest pics are no exception.

M

Maggie Cummings

katesgoey said:
Great job Yvonne! Everytime my husband and I see pictures of your sulcatas enclosures we are again tempted to provide a home for one - your latest pics are no exception.

You need to get a Sulcata. I think they have the best personalities of any chelonia. Some people say Russians have more personality but I have a Russian and I don't see any personality in her. But Bob, my 14 yr old Sulcata, is a clown and has more personality and causes more trouble then any delinquent teenager. He cracks me up with his antics. I can't ever go into his shed that he doesn't do something to make me laugh. I have 27 turtles and tortoises and my Sulcata are the most out-going
That's a picture of Bob next to my name...

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
katesgoey said:

You need to get a Sulcata. I think they have the best personalities of any chelonia. Some people say Russians have more personality but I have a Russian and I don't see any personality in her. But Bob, my 14 yr old Sulcata, is a clown and has more personality and causes more trouble then any delinquent teenager. He cracks me up with his antics. I can't ever go into his shed that he doesn't do something to make me laugh. I have 27 turtles and tortoises and my Sulcata are the most out-going
That's a picture of Bob next to my name...

Bob is gorgeous. We've been tempted to add a Sully (and a Star) since we have so much space, but we just finished enlarging the Leopards' pen and that was an adventure, plus I made the mistake of telling hubby about Tony's disposition :( I'll tell him all about Bob this time and maybe next Spring we'll dive into the idea again. (Blow Tony a kiss for me, heehee).

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
What is that red thing in one of your pictures? Is that a pig blanket?

I too am building something. I have some old wood from some one's fence. It only fence board so it is not thick. Should I get something thicker?

I need help.

Should his enclosure be built on a cement slab or the ground?

I got a ceramic heat emitter and I put it in my clamp lamp and it started to smoke - do they do that at first?

Do I really need a ceramic heat emitter? Or can I just use a heat bulb? The ceramic heat emitters scare me. And depending on which one do I need a thermostat?

When I put the heat source in his enclosure, how far away from the bottom of the enclosure/from him should the heat lamp be?

If Percy is only 3-5 years old and is only 9", should I be allowing him to go outside? Or should I keep him in his enclosure?

It rarely snows, but we do get ice three or four times in the winter. And it goes below 40* quite often. Also, it is very damp here so the cold creeps in everywhere.

Also what are some good measures to take to make sure it is easy to clean because his poops are getting bigger and stinkier every day.

thanks - and if you want me to put this in a separate thread, let me know.
Marissa

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
janiedough said:
What is that red thing in one of your pictures? Is that a pig blanket?
Yes, that is what a pig blanket looks like. They come in several sizes. This one is 1 1/2 X 2.

I too am building something. I have some old wood from some one's fence. It only fence board so it is not thick. Should I get something thicker?

You can use any old kind of wood that you have handy, but you will have to insulate it. I used the 4'x8' sheets of styrofoam insulation, then you have to put plywood to protect the insulation from the tortoise.

Should his enclosure be built on a cement slab or the ground?

If you don't make some sort of floor your tortoise will dig a tunnel, so you can just buy some of those cement stepping stones and place them for the floor. Then add either a piece of plywood or a rubber horse stall mat.

I got a ceramic heat emitter and I put it in my clamp lamp and it started to smoke - do they do that at first?

It might have been the socket. You are supposed to use the ceramic sockets with the heat emitters because they get so hot. Also, if there was dust on the heat emitter, the dust would have smoked.

Do I really need a ceramic heat emitter? Or can I just use a heat bulb? The ceramic heat emitters scare me. And depending on which one do I need a thermostat?

Its a personal choice. I used to use them but changed them all out for 60watt black incandescent bulbs. The bulbs are much cheaper to use.

When I put the heat source in his enclosure, how far away from the bottom of the enclosure/from him should the heat lamp be?

You don't want to take a chance on the heat burning the tortoise, so at least 12" from the top of the tortoise's back is good.

If Percy is only 3-5 years old and is only 9", should I be allowing him to go outside? Or should I keep him in his enclosure?

He can go outside with supervision. 9" is too big for a bird to carry off, and that's what you worry about with the little ones. If the weather is good, let him be outside. Make sure the pen is secure, and check on him often until you get used to his routine.

Also what are some good measures to take to make sure it is easy to clean because his poops are getting bigger and stinkier every day.

That's why I use the horse stall mat. Its smooth and easy to clean but too heavy for him to move around.

Marissa

I think I'm going to be sorry that I made his new duplex so small. When he first goes in there at night he really bangs around. It sounds as if he is lunging at the walls. The pig blanket takes up a pretty big corner then the light is in another corner. I may have to take a sawsall and remove the center divide wall, defeating my purpose of making a smaller house to heat easier and cheaper!

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Maybe it too hot right now? Remove one of the heaters and see if he settles? Or remove the ceramic one and put some hay in there for his to burrow under?

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
[/quote]

I think I'm going to be sorry that I made his new duplex so small. When he first goes in there at night he really bangs around. It sounds as if he is lunging at the walls. The pig blanket takes up a pretty big corner then the light is in another corner. I may have to take a sawsall and remove the center divide wall, defeating my purpose of making a smaller house to heat easier and cheaper!

Yvonne
[/quote]

Hey thank you SOOO much Yvonne for posting and answering questions - I am going to get started this weekend and I will post pictures when I am done!

Status
Not open for further replies.