Housing adult tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
Hello guys good evening everyone =]

I am thinking about adopting an adult redfoot tortoise to add to my family of two juveniles in 3 months when my birthday comes around in april.Well i really only have 1 redfoot but my friend lives with me so we are sharing the tank between both of our redfoots. Mine is 1 year and his is a newborn (couple weeks old)!

generally lets just say say the adult tortoise is 15inches. So how big of an enclosure would i need to build for this guy if i was to buy one, and what would be the cheap safest most efficient way to do this? Not like how to build but i mean like what can i use. I read that for one adult you could use just a large kiddy pool. I would assume adding to juvenile wouldn't hurt. But i don't want to just assume i want consent from other people :p

And here is the biggest one of them all. How much would it generally cost to feed an adult redfoot weekly?

and what kind of heat sources would i use to heat a big enclosure like that. Would i just double or triple the lamps on the one side or?

But again im just looking around figuring out whats best. To be honest im debating on if i should adopt another juvenile/baby tortoise or if i want an adult. But it would be cool to have an adult tortoise to take care of and watch it walk around my yard and interact with it alittle! =]

Ill probably most likely adopt another juvenile but i thought id look into an adult!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
In terms of size I'd say 6 by 4 inside is minimum for that size, and a large outdoor enclosure. I would either build yourself one out of wood or convert a shelving unit, taking out the shelves. Cost depends on how much you rely on shop-bought stuff instead of weeds. Lighting I'd just get more powerful bulbs.

tickle

5 Year Member
I would build a very large one. With all those torts I would do a 12 foot by 12. Foot but I still thinks that small for all those guys.for heat get at least 3 mercy vaporous so u have a basking spot for each.a bunch of ceramic heaters if a open topped.keep room temp at 70 degrees.remember the bigger the better and the healthier they will be it will cost a pretty penny but worth it for a healthy family.I would wait till it built b4 u get the new one.better to be ready then allways playing catch up.sick torts vet visits or worse death
Gl.why do u need 3 2 is more then enough tort you are young and can wait if you can.if you buy a house you can dadicate a whole room for them

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
tickle said:
I would build a very large one. With all those torts I would do a 12 foot by 12. Foot but I still thinks that small for all those guys.for heat get at least 3 mercy vaporous so u have a basking spot for each.a bunch of ceramic heaters if a open topped.keep room temp at 70 degrees.remember the bigger the better and the healthier they will be it will cost a pretty penny but worth it for a healthy family.I would wait till it built b4 u get the new one.better to be ready then allways playing catch up.sick torts vet visits or worse death
Gl.why do u need 3 2 is more then enough tort you are young and can wait if you can.if you buy a house you can dadicate a whole room for them

I think i might just stick with mine and just get another another juvenile. But i will make sure i build a bigger habitat! I have a whole room i can dedicate my tortoises at the house i live at with my parents. Its in the basement and nobody use's it for anything it just has junk thrown around in it. Its a really good size too. And i she said that i could have it all to myself for my pets =]

I think having having 2 juveniles and a baby wouldnt hurt. If i build a decent habitat. But you did make me think twice Maybe having an adult is to over the line when i don't even have my own house yet!But i know my friend isn't gonna live here at my house for much longer because he is looking for an apartment!, so that would leave me with 2 torts. But i can certainly start building a bigger habitat! I would probably enjoy it more if i watched both grow to be adults. Because it would give me time to build off of what i need at as grow because i can always upgrade.

tickle said:

I think i might just stick with mine and just get another another juvenile. But i will make sure i build a bigger habitat! I have a whole room i can dedicate my tortoises at the house i live at with my parents. Its in the basement and nobody use's it for anything it just has junk thrown around in it. Its a really good size too. And i she said that i could have it all to myself for my pets =]

I think having having 2 juveniles and a baby wouldnt hurt. If i build a decent habitat. But you did make me think twice Maybe having an adult is to over the line when i don't even have my own house yet!But i know my friend isn't gonna live here at my house for much longer because he is looking for an apartment!, so that would leave me with 2 torts. But i can certainly start building a bigger habitat! I would probably enjoy it more if i watched both grow to be adults. Because it would give me time to build off of what i need at as grow because i can always upgrade.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I agree with the above post.
Nice little enclosure for the time being.
Proper diet, heating and lighting are extremely important.
Cute tort!
Welcome!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.