Housing for tortoise (Sulcata hatchling)

Noodle

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hello, I am a first time tortoise owner and have been having issues with my tortoise Noodle. He isn’t very smart and keeps managing to flip over onto his back. Thankfully I catch him lying on his back before his blood settles but this is starting to become a worrying habit. He is about 2 inches in shell length and is currently housed in a 10 gallon tank. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of set up (if a new one is needed) I would need.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your enclosure is way too small. That's probably why he's flipping himself.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
It says in the link I gave you 48''x18'' for a single tiny hachling. Keep in mind this will not last a long time with a sulcata. Also it's your choice of you want to use a glass tank but a plastic container gives the tort much more space for cheaper.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

In my opinion, a 15 or 20 gallon aquarium would be ok for a hatchling, but they grow very fast and he will soon outgrow that tank. It's best to just go ahead and bite the bullet and get something bigger right from the start. You can get a bigger plastic tub much cheaper than a glass aquarium.

Noodle

North Carolina
It says in the link I gave you 48''x18'' for a single tiny hachling. Keep in mind this will not last a long time with a sulcata. Also it's your choice of you want to use a glass tank but a plastic container gives the tort much more space for cheaper.
Thank you so much for the help!

Noodle

North Carolina
Thank you everyone for helping, a few days ago we got him a new terrarium that he loves, he no longer flips himself. Thank you for the help!

P.s. sorry I forgot to post a response sooner I forgot.