Housing if boarding for 4 nights

Ardelle

Location (City and/or State)
Ilkeston
I am thinking what I would do if I wanted to go away for a short trip 4 nights max.

I have a 1 year old russian ( hes tiny though)
I considered leaving at home with everything off as am concerned of accidents with the bulbs

My main reason for looking at boarding is he can occasionally flip so I don’t want to risk setting the bulbs on a timer

I found a farm that will board him and they advised some people leave them outside in their enclosure or come with a box and have free roam indoors alternatively I can take the whole set up.

I am thinking if I asked them to allow time outside to get uv sun ect if then he would be ok being brought inside overnight and I purchase a medium plastic varium? It will be over the summer if I go anywhere.

Or will the lack of his uv/heat bulb be too much over 4 days?

I appreciate any advice

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think they can go for 4 days without UV more easily than without heat if the temps will go below 60F.

I routinely leave my torts on their own for as much as two weeks when I'm traveling, but only because I feel confident in their enclosures and that the heat and humidity and UV are dialed in... I feed and soak them a bit extra both before and after my absences, and they have been doing fine in this manner for years.

Jamie

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Thank you @jsheffield I am thinking july time so it should stay warm, my main concern was the basking and uv.

The boarding place have said they have a two large heated rooms and he will have acess to a outdoor area too.

My worry about leaving home is he has a habit of flipping ( not for last 3 months or so but did regularly before)

If hes fine without the bulbs for that time period thats a weight of my mind

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would definitely NOT board, especially since you have plenty of time from now ‘til July or so to set your area up. Get everything set up on timers and use your time now to tweak things. Pretend you are gone - and monitor. No way would I haul everything to another location for a 4 day long weekend away.

Use cheap analog timers. Check your heating. Remove objects that cause flipping. Heck, get a cheap CCTV camera so you can monitor if you will have internet.

Good luck.

Ps - Like Mr Sheffield, I too have traveled away for 2 weeks at a time and our torts never missed a beat. A good soaking before leaving. And extra food.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I am worried about leaving home as no one to check in case of emergency, would it be better to leave with the lights off for 4 days?

I don’t think I would take much as the housing is heating and ample lighting so I was just going to take the tort, my main concern is having supervision incase he flips? Can they right themselves ect I am unsure as have always popped him
Back

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Is there a downside to boarding? As have 2 skinny pigs I would need to board so it wouldn’t be a extra trip.

I am just wanting to figure out the best for the tortoise

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I probably over worry as have been told v small, the tort is currently 6cm long his shell.
But I have had since last march time although I wasn’t given a age upon purchase

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russians are escape artist and if where they would be housing him or letting him go outside is not secured for a Russian he may get out
The rush of the lights you mentioned needs to be fixed. If they are not secure, they can fall and start a fire with you there or gone.
I have always left mine home alone if gone that amount of time or less, longer I paid a friend's son to come and feed, water, etc.
All you would need on in July would be the basking light. They need that to digest their food properly.
Is there no one that can come once a day to check on him?
Also, take out anything he can climb on that is a flip hazard. Posts pics of enclosure and we can help tweak it.
If you do board him, I would not have them take him out of the enclosure you bring for him.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Is there likely to be a risk of him being put in with another tortoise or more,even for only a few minutes ? If so, I think it would be a bad idea - he might pick up some infection, or come into contact with another tortoise's poo. Just refilling his water with unwashed hands could pass something on to him.
A little animal watching camera linked to your phone would be useful, but I know nothing about these - I think they are expensive, but it would be a help in the future too.
Angie (I used to know Ilkeston well, when I lived in Nottingham)

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
When they are hatchlings I agree the flipping is a major concern. They climb everything and explore. They can self right if there is something for a claw to latch on to or they move around till they find an edge.
You need to watch what is causing the flips and add some small stones to help or remove the cause till older and put something lower. I have cctv, timers and leave for a couple of nights as any longer food gets old and water normally tipped over or fouled. If you bought in a reptile shop they may offer holiday cover. I definatly would not move my enclosure to another place. As mentioned toroise cohabitation can bring disease. If your away for a while maybe think of neighbours or family and friends to come in and replenish water amd fresh food which you can have prepared in the fridge.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Hi
Unfortunately no one I have tended to keep myself to myself after lots of bad childhood experiences.

He used to flip a lot and members on here said his enclosure was too bare so I added plants ect are these a flip hazard?

Will post photos

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Currently has a ceramic heater on a thermostat, mercury vapour and also a daylight bulb

Attachments

• 3921B255-9C45-4D55-BCDF-75D8E3BBF361.jpeg
    3921B255-9C45-4D55-BCDF-75D8E3BBF361.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Currently has a ceramic heater on a thermostat, mercury vapour and also a daylight bulb
You have time to get the set up right and stop the flipping. For a four day trip, it would be best to leave him at home. The lights should remain set on their timers. You can remove the water dish so it doesn't get fouled in your absence. Just soak the tortoise before you leave, and again as soon as you return.

Get rid of the water bowl in there and replace it with a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate.

Get the plants away from the walls before he figures out how to use those as a ladder to escape.

Get rid of the mercury vapor bulb. Your tortoise is pyramiding heavily even with the small amount of growth that he's had over the last year. You need to dampen the substrate and try to keep humidity higher.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Ok will replace the water dish,
I wheres the best place for plants? I was previously told the enclosure was too bare and to add plants?

Pyraymiding? Am panicking now, I have a hydrometer in there and I keep it on the green gague?

Ardelle

Ilkeston
@Tom
Heres some closer photos is his shell looking ok?

Twiglet previously had poor health eyes not opened for some time and your advice helped me get him right again.

He's been better since i got a daylight bulb and i went to MVB as the pet shop ones kep blowing on me.

Heres his temp and current humidity I tend to mist in the mornings when I feed him.

Attachments

• 6C8EBDC8-E725-4560-B957-C90A15F09307.jpeg
    6C8EBDC8-E725-4560-B957-C90A15F09307.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 8A40E8E0-0B5D-42D6-A45B-B51C1BC1D954.jpeg
    8A40E8E0-0B5D-42D6-A45B-B51C1BC1D954.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • DAD61C47-E189-48AA-A830-B6F82B8B17C9.jpeg
    DAD61C47-E189-48AA-A830-B6F82B8B17C9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Ardelle

Ilkeston
This photo is from last year when he wasn’t right didn’t open eyes for weeks, his shell looks the same then, should his shell look have improved since or once its done does it stay?

Attachments

• 05DCCCB4-6BBE-46EB-B393-F49950574A09.png
    05DCCCB4-6BBE-46EB-B393-F49950574A09.png
    913.8 KB · Views: 2

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
poor guy, thank you for trying to take good care of him

Ardelle

Ilkeston
@SinLA the last photo was last year and he wasn’t right however is now active, eyes wide open and eats well.
Am wondering if the pyramiding is old or should it have healed

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
@SinLA the last photo was last year and he wasn’t right however is now active, eyes wide open and eats well.
Am wondering if the pyramiding is old or should it have healed

As far as I know it never heals, you can only make it stop getting worse, but @Tom and the others are the best ones to listen to...