Housing sulcatas together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Im thinking of adopting another sulcata from a friend.. It's about 52lbs and for the best of his knowledge it's a female...(the plaston is flat).. My only fear is for it to be a male..

So questions are... If it does turn out to be a male..is this guaranteed to be an issue with Tony ..Do males always fight??

Also is the flat plaston a guarantee that it's a female?? Is there another way??

Thanks in advance..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
You will not know for sure until they are together, all may go well or it may not and thats for a male or female tortoise.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I thought male and females didn't fight...that only males housed together Fought..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Some males don't like anyone in there area. But a lone female will have issues with a lone male due to constant pestering to mate. That why it's suggested to have atleast 2-3 females with one males.

But again you never know, it could work out very good.

M

Maggie Cummings

Females can be aggressive too. But the big issue is the male pestering the female until she mentally can't take it anymore so she may stop eating and develop medical problems. If you have enough room for her to get away from him that MIGHT be better. If it turns out to be a male that could be serious trouble. They sometimes fight to the death. It's really something to think hard on. And if you are not experienced with large tortoises and have a set up specifically for large tortoises that could be a problem also.

You just don't go out and get a big non-thinking bulldozer and have it always work out well...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I want to get Tony a companion.. The small female I picked up.. Is really skittish...if he walks by she ducks into her shell.. He completely ignores her...I want to get him a companion he can interact with... Hopefully he will stop that OCD he has towards pacing;)

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have to tell you the pacing gets on my nerve sometimes..even in his enclosure..he takes two laps and stops at the food bowl for a few bites..then it's off for another two laps and another few bites... I swear he does this all day..the only time he breaks stride is if the small one lays down in front of him.. Then he walks around her and continues..

He needs a distraction..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We had to move anything not attached to the fence because they don't like to back up, they will just try to push there way through.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
He turns in the yard...But it's funny I will be hand feeding him.. And he would be chowing down.. Then almost like he can't help himself he goes for a run.. Then comes back looks at me..I hand flees him again..and he tears into it like he is starving then just does goes for a run again....And I'm not talking a casual walk.. He really moves..

Status
Not open for further replies.