Housing Tortoises Together...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBoyHarvey

5 Year Member
:tort:
I have a russian Tortoise, he is awesome. I want to get another Tortoise, haven't decided if i want another Russian or a diffrent breed. I am currently having a 3ft x 3 1/2ft enclosure for my russian. I dont think my fiance would be willing to build me a whole new enclosure for another tortoise. So what other breeds can i house with my Russian?
On an unrelated note.
I am moving to North Dakota, is the climate to cold there for him to live? he will be inside, with his lamp and rocks and such but... my mother is convinced it will be too harsh there...
Any help..?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
In all honesty russians should be housed separately. They are solitary animals.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Unless you are willing to build another enclosure, I would just stick to the one tortoise but if you are going to get another one then stay with the same species..

O yeah, hello and welcome to the forum...

MyBoyHarvey

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome :)
I have been in the dark about my Tortoise for a while now, getting worried about health, vet visits and such; never getting much help from the vets i've seen.
Okay so two enclosures it is... i will break the new to my fiance :p
Anyone have personal exsperience with Russians I could use the help from someone with exsperience.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi MyBoyHarvey:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I concur with everyone else. Stick with the one. Definitely shouldn't mix species, and tortoises in general are solitary animals. There can be a few exceptions to the rule...but your current situation is not one of them. A 3ft x 3 1/2ft is just enough space for ONE small tortoise, certainly not an adult pair of Russians, even if they get end up getting along.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have had russians now for 13 years so if you got any questions ask away.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I also have Russians, love them. 13 years and going.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Russians are one of, if not THE worst, about getting along with any other tortoises. They do best all alone with no competition or rivals, or in very large enclosures with one male and several females.

MyBoyHarvey

5 Year Member
Thanks, Names Faith.
thanks so much for the info, i really appreciate. I wouldnt want to do anything to upset or stress Harvey out.
Also anyone know how to add pics on here.. Like how ya'll have pics when yall post i have a few of them on my computer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As far as the climate in North Dakota, just put him in his outdoor pen when the weather is nice and bring him into his indoor enclosure when it's not. Simple.

MyBoyHarvey

5 Year Member
Tom said:
As far as the climate in North Dakota, just put him in his outdoor pen when the weather is nice and bring him into his indoor enclosure when it's not. Simple.

thanks :) ill let her know so she will get off my back :p:tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
MyBoyHarvey said:
Tom said:

thanks :) ill let her know so she will get off my back :p:tort:

Maybe the real reason she is "on your back" is more because she is not wanting you to move away?

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
I tried to house 2 Russians together and it failed miserably. I bought them together as babies and it was great till one of them outgrew the other and started dominating the smaller one. maybe if I'd had a larger enclosure it would've worked out but a 3'x3' space isn't enough.

EspenK

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
I concur with everyone else. Stick with the one. Definitely shouldn't mix species, and tortoises in general are solitary animals. There can be a few exceptions to the rule...but your current situation is not one of them. A 3ft x 3 1/2ft is just enough space for ONE small tortoise, certainly not an adult pair of Russians, even if they get end up getting along.

Hi! I just want to know what species you are referring to as "solitary species". I have kept Testudos together for years with no problem what so ever. They do everything together; eat, sunbathe and sleep tightly. The males might be an issue from time to time, but in general, they do fine too. I do not keep T.horsfieldi males with any others of course, except when breeding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
EspenK said:

Hi! I just want to know what species you are referring to as "solitary species". I have kept Testudos together for years with no problem what so ever. They do everything together; eat, sunbathe and sleep tightly. The males might be an issue from time to time, but in general, they do fine too. I do not keep T.horsfieldi males with any others of course, except when breeding.

EspenK, I'm just gonna guess that you don't keep them in pairs in a 3x3' indoor enclosure... Am I right?

Nobody is saying they can't be mixed, but it needs to be done with the right individuals, of the right sex, in the right enclosure. Satisfy all those conditions and harmony can often be achieved. Don't satisfy those conditions and disaster can follow. Some people do everything "right" and the darn horsefields are so ornery, that is still doesn't work out and some need to be separated. This is the main point I think. No matter what we think, or what we want to happen, there should always be a "plan B" with separate enclosures ready for all the combatants. If someone is able to defy the normal rules, hey, more power to ya'. Doesn't mean its bad advice to warn people looking for help about what normally happens.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
EspenK said:

As many members much more experienced and knowledgeable than I have stated in the past, the only tortoise species that are commonly found in groups in their natural environments are pancake tortoises and perhaps the Aldabras. Those are the only species I would truly consider "social." All others I consider solitary.

Aside from the brief encounters during breeding seasons, you do NOT encounter groups of Testudo (any species) in the wild. You do not find groups of redfoots or yellowfoots in the wild. You do not find groups of sulcata in the wild.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Welcome! you can attach pics on the bottom whenever you are making a new post! youll see the option to attach. Hope this helps! and stick to your russian. he'll be fine alone :D

-Drew

EspenK

5 Year Member
Tom said:
EspenK said:

EspenK, I'm just gonna guess that you don't keep them in pairs in a 3x3' indoor enclosure... Am I right?

Nobody is saying they can't be mixed, but it needs to be done with the right individuals, of the right sex, in the right enclosure. Satisfy all those conditions and harmony can often be achieved. Don't satisfy those conditions and disaster can follow. Some people do everything "right" and the darn horsefields are so ornery, that is still doesn't work out and some need to be separated. This is the main point I think. No matter what we think, or what we want to happen, there should always be a "plan B" with separate enclosures ready for all the combatants. If someone is able to defy the normal rules, hey, more power to ya'. Doesn't mean its bad advice to warn people looking for help about what normally happens.

Yeah, you are correct, I am keeping them in much bigger enclosures. It was just the statement that "tortoises in general are solitary animals". In Greece, when we find one tortoise( T.h.) we always know there are at least one more close by. I see more and more keepers in Europe have groups of testudo together, and it looks like they benefit from it, eating, sleeping and often sunbathing together. Of course, there will be exceptions, at least in a small enclosure, but i have not seen any figths yet, except for the Testudo horsfieldi male trying to mate... :)

EspenK said:

As many members much more experienced and knowledgeable than I have stated in the past, the only tortoise species that are commonly found in groups in their natural environments are pancake tortoises and perhaps the Aldabras. Those are the only species I would truly consider "social." All others I consider solitary.

Aside from the brief encounters during breeding seasons, you do NOT encounter groups of Testudo (any species) in the wild. You do not find groups of redfoots or yellowfoots in the wild. You do not find groups of sulcata in the wild.

Well, my testudofindings in the wild tells me different. Even in my greenhouse, when giving them two or more sleepingboxes, they clump together. Just my experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.