How’s my enclosure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You've done a nice job on the enclosure. Do you realize that Russians and redfooted tortoises require different environments?

Vibes

South Florida
You've done a nice job on the enclosure. Do you realize that Russians and redfooted tortoises require different environments?

i know, i give them separate diets, i try mist the areas that my redfoot usually reside in, the red foot is also my brothers but he has no knowledge of torts so i care for him. ive had the russian for 4 years now and my brother got the redfoot 3 years ago. They have never been sick, and never fought.

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
i know but i dont have any room, i give them separate diets, i try mist the areas that my redfoot usually reside in, the red foot is also my brothers but he has no knowledge of torts so i care for him. ive had the russian for 4 years now and my brother got the redfoot 3 years ago. They have never been sick, and never fought.

Wow, I'm impressed...but you really can't...shouldn't... keep the 2 together. I see room for some expansion with a side moving out and with the whole pen being cut in half so the 2 can live separately together. It kinda doesn't matter if they have been getting along, they are both small. I don't think they will be happy that way too much longer, they are both kinda small yet...Russians are ornery.

Quadro

SC
Very nice enclosure good job ? however I would separate when you can I’m just not sure that they will thrive in those conditions needing different environments as was stated above . Cute little ones !

Vibes

South Florida
Wow, I'm impressed...but you really can't...shouldn't... keep the 2 together. I see room for some expansion with a side moving out and with the whole pen being cut in half so the 2 can live separately together. It kinda doesn't matter if they have been getting along, they are both small. I don't think they will be happy that way too much longer, they are both kinda small yet...Russians are ornery.
im trying to convince my parent to split the cage in half, but she responds with "they need company" i dont know what to do.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
im trying to convince my parent to split the cage in half, but she responds with "they need company" i dont know what to do.
Respectfully tell her she's wrong and pull up some of the threads about tortoises killing each other if she won't believe you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Not only do they NOT need company as they are loners, different species carry different germs that might make another species sick. Tortoises will fight for the food, sleeping places etc. Just because you can't see it does not mean it isn't happening. The redfoot is easy goinging and mellow, and the Russian can be very aggressive. It is simply good and wise chelonia care to keep them seperate.

Vibes

South Florida
Respectfully tell her she's wrong and pull up some of the threads about tortoises killing each other if she won't believe you.
i did and show her multiple articles and she yelled at me saying i dont know my tortoises and they want to be together. at this point im building the enclosure.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
i did and show her multiple articles and she yelled at me saying i dont know my tortoises and they want to be together. at this point im building the enclosure.
Well that sucks.

I would suggest that work around your mother by building as large an enclosure as you can and make it with a divider disguised as a planter that almost cuts it in half. Leave it so they can get around both ends. Just tell her they like having different areas and rooms to explore. (Redfoots honestly do actually seem to like them) Make sure that both sides have have a couple of hides, water, and a place to eat. With any luck this will keep the two from getting too stressed about the other since they can avoid each other. Feed each individually on 'their' side to help them get the hint ("It's good animal husbandry mom, this way I can see how much they are eating and the RF needs more fruits and stuff the Russian shouldn't eat")

Then you can look at the habitat differences and tweak one for the Redfoot and the other for the Russian. I don't know Russians, but I think that RF's like a lot more shade, water, and lush plant cover then they do.

Vibes

South Florida
thanks for every ones concerns, but my mother says when they start to fight then move them, i think that is a stupid way of doing things. I cant do anything because my mom thinks she knows more than i do because she is the parent.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well that sucks.

I would suggest that work around your mother by building as large an enclosure as you can and make it with a divider disguised as a planter that almost cuts it in half. Leave it so they can get around both ends. Just tell her they like having different areas and rooms to explore. (Redfoots honestly do actually seem to like them) Make sure that both sides have have a couple of hides, water, and a place to eat. With any luck this will keep the two from getting too stressed about the other since they can avoid each other. Feed each individually on 'their' side to help them get the hint ("It's good animal husbandry mom, this way I can see how much they are eating and the RF needs more fruits and stuff the Russian shouldn't eat")

Then you can look at the habitat differences and tweak one for the Redfoot and the other for the Russian. I don't know Russians, but I think that RF's like a lot more shade, water, and lush plant cover then they do.
That's just very helpful and very good advice...

Relic

Here
Vibes, you have to use your natural ability to trick parents. My 30-year-old daughter has been confessing for years all the different ways she tricked me while she was a teen.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
Vibes, you have to use your natural ability to trick parents. My 30-year-old daughter has been confessing for years all the different ways she tricked me while she was a teen.
I actively advise my 13 YO son on how to deal with his mother and avoid conflict because he's not very good at it. In fact, thanks to his Aspergers, he downright sucks at it.

In fairness I do let her know when she's being played by the 6 YO who totally has her figured out already.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
thanks for every ones concerns, but my mother says when they start to fight then move them, i think that is a stupid way of doing things. I cant do anything because my mom thinks she knows more than i do because she is the parent.
You're right, it is stupid. Do the best you can and maybe read up on bullying so you can see the signs although getting your mom to believe them might be difficult.

jso

55*N, UK
Can’t you have a rational discussion about natural habitats, and ask her how come a Northern European tortoise from the Russian steppes can share an enclosure with a South American edge of tropical rainforest tortoise, and that you want to do the best you can for both of them....