How’s my enclosure

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
thanks for every ones concerns, but my mother says when they start to fight then move them, i think that is a stupid way of doing things. I cant do anything because my mom thinks she knows more than i do because she is the parent.
The first clue that you know they are fighting is when you fid one of them torn to pieces. Even if you find one of them injured, you will not have enough time to get the enclosure enlarged and divided before the weaker one gets killed. And, if you are lucky enough to get them apart before one is killed, the vet bill to hopefully let the injured one recovered will be MUCH more expensive them making them seperate homes now.

Not only am I a parent, but a grandparent and a great-grandparent. Plus I have over 15 years experience with 3 tortoises. They appeared to be "friends", but were really exhibiting aggressive behavior. Then one day, it went from aggressive behavior to brutal. About then I found TFO, and learned all of the things I was doing wrong. Hopefully our Mom will let you do what you have learned is right, and really, what can it hurt? Choosing to ot believe the advise from experts can hurt a lot, and by then it is too late, and impossible to make things better with "I'm sorry".

Good luck, and just keep trying.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
im trying to convince my parent to split the cage in half, but she responds with "they need company" i dont know what to do.
Unfortunately this WILL end with a bloody or dead Redfoot.
Of all of the information you've absorbed since you arrived here, you're still reluctant about the largest issue you have. That a Russian and a Redfoot CAN NOT live together.
You've been nothing but lucky so far.
Please believe us.

Vibes

South Florida
Unfortunately this WILL end with a bloody or dead Redfoot.
Of all of the information you've absorbed since you arrived here, you're still reluctant about the largest issue you have. That a Russian and a Redfoot CAN NOT live together.
You've been nothing but lucky so far.
Please believe us.
Good news everyone! i have convinced my dad to let me build another enclosure, so my torts will be separated im building the enclosure on fri. I will keep you guys updated.

Quadro

SC
Good news everyone! i have convinced my dad to let me build another enclosure, so my torts will be separated im building the enclosure on fri. I will keep you guys updated.
That is GREAT NEWS !!! Kudos to your dad for being reasonable!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Nice enclosure, Very nice and very glad to hear the good news.

Are you worry about the visit of some night creatures?

Vibes

South Florida
Nice enclosure, Very nice and very glad to hear the good news.

Are you worry about the visit of some night creatures?
not really, because they have been in a outdoor enclosure for the past five years. I just made another enclosure so they have more room, and they usually sleep under the bench so they cant really be easily be taken.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
not really, because they have been in a outdoor enclosure for the past five years. I just made another enclosure so they have more room, and they usually sleep under the bench so they cant really be easily be taken.
That's very good. We have many raccoons visiting our yard at night, so all our outdoor enclosure are Raccoon/rat proofed.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Please let me know if your dad needs a hand with anything.
I don't think I'm very far away from you and I may have some things you can use that I no longer need.
If you PM me, I'll give you guys my phone number. Etc.

Vibes

South Florida
It's coming along very well, actually
You've done a nice job on the enclosure. Do you realize that Russians and redfooted tortoises require different environments?

i just finished my red foots enclosure! (I know there’s still a tag on the hide)
6AF1E2B2-C694-4A30-9F32-DBF9B3C2FED1.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Small Redfoot and Russians of all sizes are great climbers.
I once had a baby Redfoot climb straight up and over a 2' plywood panel.
Make sure that they are no houses, logs, rocks,etc near the sides or the corners. Because those items will be used as a ladder to escape.
Also make sure that the wooden sides are smooth and don't have obvious "foot holds" to help them climb.