How am I doing trying to prevent pyramiding?

kewp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fullerton, CA
I know this is a herculean task, but I'm trying to prevent as much pyramiding as possible. She is about 4 months now and I've been watching the humidity and doing daily soaks, closed the chamber the best I could, etc. I wanted to see how I'm doing and I'm sure you guys can tell better then me if pyramiding has started and how things are looking (besides grumpy in this picture)...
Pancake20150807.jpg

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
I'm no expert at all, but I've seen pictures of pyramiding before, and your tort looks great to me! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looking fine on the pyramiding front, but is that a ramped water bowl in the back ground? Those are dangerous and tortoise flip and drown in them all the time. It would be a terrible shame spending all that time and effort to raise a healthy smooth tortoise only to come home and find it upside down in the water bowl. I suggest a terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate instead.

Keith D.

Arizona
I agree with Tom on the water bowl. Please replace that bowl with a Terracotta plant reservoir sunken into the substrate. Your tort is beautiful and would hate to see anything happen to him.

kewp

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
I will do that. So far the main tipping danger has been her compulsive trench digging and climbing up the her hide and sliding down the other side! And the grumpy face is what I guess happens when you wake a tortoise up and put a GoPro in the cage....

the_king543

Just dont make it in indoors cage and make sure that is big enough the cage and the food is low in nutrition like hay

Keith D.

Arizona
Just dont make it in indoors cage and make sure that is big enough the cage and the food is low in nutrition like hay
I'm sure you don't mean low in nutrients when it cones to tort food. You may be confused and want high nutrients just low protein.

the_king543

No it is low in nutrition because it will never replicate what are they eating on the wild