How bad is this tortoise pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortTopper

5 Year Member
Hey guys, just recently adopted this sulcata from my neighbour who obviously did not take good care of it. When I saw it I immediately saw the pyramiding and offered to adopt it. I would just like to know how bad the it's pyramiding is. From a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being the least amount of pyramiding to 10 being a very bad form of pyramiding.

Heres a pic:
3AskTIw.jpg

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I guess it depends on your definition of "bad". I'm no expert neither, but it looks like all new growth has gone up. It doesn't look terrible at this stage to me. Maybe you can get it under control before it gets too big.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Lets just say that the tort has pyramiding..best thing to do is to correct it now...lots of sunshine, humidity, greens. They key factor is humidity......

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am glad you have him know and can take better care of him! He is very pretty and doesnt look that bad to me.
Enjoy him :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It doesn't look that bad to me. Pyramiding is just cosmetic if s/he has been raised healthy/properly.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Yes he is pyramiding, so you need to change some things to stop it, humidity, nutrition, UVB light etc.
Here is some pics of some older Sulcata with a normal carapace.

Dscn2737.jpg
sulcata-tortoise-3-500.jpg
sulcata_breeding.JPG
sulcata-tortoise-2-500.jpg
sulcata-tortoise.jpg
DSCN2975.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't think it's too bad either. You still have a pretty defined circular shell with no apparent dents anywhere. Really, what an owner should be more concerned with are soft spots either on the plastron or the carapace. This tort is beyond repairing what has been done; however, you can totally prevent further pyramiding by giving him a proper diet, lots of sunshine, warmth and humidity. Oh and don't forget the cuttlebone and calcium supplement. Best to you both.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
wellington said:
It doesn't look that bad to me. Pyramiding is just cosmetic if s/he has been raised healthy/properly.

Despite the common belief...Pyramiding is not cosmetic. The bones of pyramided tortoises are fibrous, thick and porous, when they should be hard, thin and dense. When the bones are in this state, it becomes even easier for them to deform, and thus pyramid further....Thats why it is so hard to "reverse" pyramiding. While its not terribly harmful...Its still not just cosmetic.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I dont know how to grade that.. but you can stop it.. Sunshine, diet and calcium.. with lots of hydration.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Despite the common belief...Pyramiding is not cosmetic. The bones of pyramided tortoises are fibrous, thick and porous, when they should be hard, thin and dense. When the bones are in this state, it becomes even easier for them to deform, and thus pyramid further....Thats why it is so hard to "reverse" pyramiding. While its not terribly harmful...Its still not just cosmetic.

I agree. Also, that tort is beautiful and will benefit from being cared for in a more positive way. Food, exercise, sunshine and hydration are so very important ---so, good job on the new tort ;)

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
could be a lot worse. like many have said do the right thing for this guy and it wont get any worse. humidity humidity and more humidity

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's not to bad yet. My brother gave me his female sulcata when she was that size and age with about the same pyramiding. This is her now,,, it never goes away completely but becomes much less noticeable with proper care n time. Good luck

Attachments

• image-522867841.png
    image-522867841.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 190

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
diamondbp said:
It's not to bad yet. My brother gave me his female sulcata when she was that size and age with about the same pyramiding. This is her now,,, it never goes away completely but becomes much less noticeable with proper care n time. Good luck

even this sully is a fantastic looking one compared to many i've seen :)

TortTopper

5 Year Member
Ok thank you guys for the help! So far the young tort's shell has become very hard since I've been giving a good amount of calcium and sunlight. :)

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Mine looked a lot like this when I got her a year ago but with the changes I made to her lifestyle and that you'll do with yours, she has made big improvements. Congrats on saving the one you have!

Attachments

• image-1001360681.png
    image-1001360681.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 84

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Here's an example of bad pyramiding. This tort's older than yours, so yours will never get to this stage, but if you want to see a 9 or 10....

Attachments

• IMG_7619.JPG
    IMG_7619.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 110

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This tortoise has quite a few growth spurts under very dry conditions. For as young/small as it is, there really shouldn't be that many growth ridges. I think he's more than likely very dehydrated, and its going to take quite a bit of frequent soakings to get him re-hydrated. Don't try to turn it around all at once. We are just starting to realize that going from extremely dry to overly moist all in one whack is harmful to the tortoise. Introduce him to a moist environment slowly over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.