How big DO redfoots get?

bigred

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
3,402
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Redfoot NERD said:
N2TORTS said:
Here are some of the larger guys and gals .....at the Cove'
The two from the bottom up of the pitcure are CherryHeads...while the top one is a Redfoot (placed just for the pictures) all of these are good size into the 12" range ....


:)

Jeff I thot "Cherryheads" are REDFOOTS.. from Brazil?

Are you trying to confuse me?

The whole purpose of this thread was to rag on bigred for his statement on COOLEST REDFOOT ON TFO thread..
most every redfoot keeper has 12" or less redfoots!

This thread is not about seeking info on the sizes of carbonaria thru-out their range in South America.. or captivity.
Breeding adults range from 8" ( North ) to 18"++ in the South.
Once again there are always exceptions and extremes.

Jeff you've demonstrated that "Dwarf Cherryheads" was a marketing name created by those guys that were in FL
when the first shipment of redfoot tortoises from Brazil came in.. late 60's early 70's???

Both of my Brazilians are 12+ also - nothing "DRAWF" about those is it?

Thanks for the pics..... hey Kelly! where's those pics - or anyone else???

Thanks everybody for your feedback.. keep it up...

[ Mike made his entry while I was still typing.. thanks Mike ]

The purpose of this thread was to rag on Bigred, Did not mean to upset you nerd. What is it that upset you, I was just showing my redfoot and having a little fun
 

N2TORTS

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2010
Messages
8,800
Redfoot NERD said:

Jeff I thot "Cherryheads" are REDFOOTS.. from Brazil?
Are you trying to confuse me?

*************************************


Oh you mean THOSE kind of Redfoots ....:p
:D
 

Bryan

Active Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
590
bigred said:
Redfoot NERD said:
N2TORTS said:
Here are some of the larger guys and gals .....at the Cove'
The two from the bottom up of the pitcure are CherryHeads...while the top one is a Redfoot (placed just for the pictures) all of these are good size into the 12" range ....


:)

Jeff I thot "Cherryheads" are REDFOOTS.. from Brazil?

Are you trying to confuse me?

The whole purpose of this thread was to rag on bigred for his statement on COOLEST REDFOOT ON TFO thread..
most every redfoot keeper has 12" or less redfoots!

This thread is not about seeking info on the sizes of carbonaria thru-out their range in South America.. or captivity.
Breeding adults range from 8" ( North ) to 18"++ in the South.
Once again there are always exceptions and extremes.

Jeff you've demonstrated that "Dwarf Cherryheads" was a marketing name created by those guys that were in FL
when the first shipment of redfoot tortoises from Brazil came in.. late 60's early 70's???

Both of my Brazilians are 12+ also - nothing "DRAWF" about those is it?

Thanks for the pics..... hey Kelly! where's those pics - or anyone else???

Thanks everybody for your feedback.. keep it up...

[ Mike made his entry while I was still typing.. thanks Mike ]

The purpose of this thread was to rag on Bigred, Did not mean to upset you nerd. What is it that upset you, I was just showing my redfoot and having a little fun

Yeah I wasn't too appreciative of reading that Redfoot NERD felt the need to RAG on another poster here as the basis of this thread. And then seemed to point to the sheer size of the animals as a basis of "coolness" since in this case Terry's animal is larger than that of your average keeper. Well believe it or not there are people out there that have bigger and nicer looking Redfoots than anything that Nerd, bigred, myself, etc. have. There are many keepers here that have wonderful animals and they enjoy their animals, that shouldn't be reason to feel the need to feel that one's honor and torts have been officially challenged in my humble opinion.
 

Hustler

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
383
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
Holy Smokes JD! Thats it..... Let me know when a place comes up for sale in your neighborhood! Thats unreal!


Ohh i missed any underlying stuff there, I was replying to a tortoise post....lol I gotta read these more often :)
 

bigred

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
3,402
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Redfoot NERD said:
Hustler said:
Ive got a lady close to the 14" mark aswell CB northern to boot :)
054-1_zps7979ea84.jpg

Thanks Hustler.. my hatchlings raised up were subjected to low carapace humidity [ early on ] that caused that same irreversible bumpiness as well! Of course there are many that actually think it is something else that caused it. Great colors and patterns on her head!!!

That's how you make claims.. back your words with pics!

When you look at bigred's WC female you see the results of being fed too much [ wrong stuff? ] .. by the [ growth ] space between the scutes!

I need to get a weight of SONshine.. she's massive...

Actuallt Nerd as far as Bigred eating alot of the wrong stuff this is not the case. When I first got her I had many conversations with you on the phone about what to feed and how to raise her and have followed this. I actaully dont overfeed her at all and I dont feed her eveyday. She will go find food on her own such as grass, she pulls hibiscus branches down and eats them, she eats dog poop, pumpkin leaves, grape leaves all on her own. Do you remember all of our warm cozy conversations. Are you saying I was wrong to follow your directions on feeding her?
 

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
93,625
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Everyone, please stay calm. It is Terry's opinion that the type of pyramiding shown on Bigred's tortoise is caused by the way/quantity it was fed. When I showed him a picture of my YF tortoise he told me the same thing. That is his opinion, and he is allowed to have it. I don't think it was the case with my YF, and you obviously don't feel it was the case with your RF. But let's leave it at that. No mud slinging, please.
 

Bryan

Active Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
590
Yvonne G said:
Everyone, please stay calm. It is Terry's opinion that the type of pyramiding shown on Bigred's tortoise is caused by the way/quantity it was fed. When I showed him a picture of my YF tortoise he told me the same thing. That is his opinion, and he is allowed to have it. I don't think it was the case with my YF, and you obviously don't feel it was the case with your RF. But let's leave it at that. No mud slinging, please.

Based on what I've read in this thread the mudslinging started in post #14

The whole purpose of this thread was to rag on bigred for his statement on COOLEST REDFOOT ON TFO thread..
most every redfoot keeper has 12" or less redfoots!

This thread is not about seeking info on the sizes of carbonaria thru-out their range in South America.. or captivity.

A thread created simply to rag on someone having a good time on the forum is pretty lame IMO.
 

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
93,625
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No one can know another's mind, but my impression of Terry's "rag" statement was that he was teasing big red.

(rag2
vb rags, ragging, ragged (tr)
1. to draw attention facetiously )
 

Bryan

Active Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
590
Yvonne G said:
No one can know another's mind, but my impression of Terry's "rag" statement was that he was teasing big red.

(rag2
vb rags, ragging, ragged (tr)
1. to draw attention facetiously )

Fair enough but I could easily see how it could be taken more negatively especially if it isn't a jab between close friends for example.
 

N2TORTS

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2010
Messages
8,800
Bryan said:
Yvonne G said:
No one can know another's mind, but my impression of Terry's "rag" statement was that he was teasing big red.

(rag2
vb rags, ragging, ragged (tr)
1. to draw attention facetiously )

Fair enough but I could easily see how it could be taken more negatively especially if it isn't a jab between close friends for example.

I agree.....and the other smart A** comments ... made , when all folks were trying to do was show *OTHERS* ( keyword) the variance in Redfoots ...OR CHERRY HEADS! <~~~( ok so they are redfoots- I KNOW!):rolleyes:

PS: ….The PYRAMID thing is WAY OVER-STRESSED in Here!


Hustler said:
Holy Smokes JD! Thats it..... Let me know when a place comes up for sale in your neighborhood! Thats unreal!


Ohh i missed any underlying stuff there, I was replying to a tortoise post....lol I gotta read these more often :)



That's an 18" red saucer in the background for another reference...This gal is close to 20lbs
 

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
93,625
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know Terry, but I have talked to him on the phone a few times. He seems a lot like my sister, and I DO know her. She has a very sharp tongue and says things that people take the wrong way. She speaks her mind and doesn't realize that she might be saying something hurtful. In a way, I think that Terry is like her. I don't think he means to sound the way he does. But, like I said...I don't know him.
 

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Yvonne G said:
I don't know Terry, but I have talked to him on the phone a few times. He seems a lot like my sister, and I DO know her. She has a very sharp tongue and says things that people take the wrong way. She speaks her mind and doesn't realize that she might be saying something hurtful. In a way, I think that Terry is like her. I don't think he means to sound the way he does. But, like I said...I don't know him.

FWIW - Thank you Yvonne.... you are right - I am here to help by sharing the number of years / experience I have with redfoot tortoises. These years / experience have/has also been supplemented by years / experience of others - a few that post here also.. one in particular!

This is not in any way a social thing for me.. but hopefully I can have some fun while sharing what has been learned - I DON'T GIVE OPINIONS .. unless otherwise stated.

Also my OLD sense of humor is too often misunderstood.. and I RAG on everybody...... I RAG on everybody...... I RAG on everybody......

Don't get tense or get hurt or start pointing fingers - OR MOST IMPORTANT - don't miss what can be learned from these years of experience.. please?

Yvonne I also have talked with others who have as much or more years of experience [ turtles and tortoises? almost 40 YEARS for me ] who no longer post because their experience doesn't line up with what may be "common / opinions" of many or most... and is totally ignored!

The worst part is that the turtle or tortoise is the one that suffers as a result the most.. and others are hurt or mad because of................???

I'm here first and foremost to help in some small way.. to help anyone who has a real concern or question about keeping their turtles or tortoises. You [ whoever ] don't really need to make the mistakes that [ we] have made. And don't expect to get the best info from anyone who simply quotes someone else... anybody can research.

I also accept the fact that some won't even take the time to read this and hear what I'm trying to say. That's O.K. too.

FWIW...
 

FLINTUS

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
1,402
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Mmmmm...
TBH they can actually get much bigger than the above. There is one for sale here at the moment with a 24 inch SCL. Maybe a Bolivian? The largest one I've actually got to handle was 36 cm.
 

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
bigred said:
Redfoot NERD said:
N2TORTS said:
Here are some of the larger guys and gals .....at the Cove'
The two from the bottom up of the pitcure are CherryHeads...while the top one is a Redfoot (placed just for the pictures) all of these are good size into the 12" range ....


:)

Jeff I thot "Cherryheads" are REDFOOTS.. from Brazil?

Are you trying to confuse me?

The whole purpose of this thread was to rag on bigred for his statement on COOLEST REDFOOT ON TFO thread..
most every redfoot keeper has 12" or less redfoots!

This thread is not about seeking info on the sizes of carbonaria thru-out their range in South America.. or captivity.
Breeding adults range from 8" ( North ) to 18"++ in the South.
Once again there are always exceptions and extremes.

Jeff you've demonstrated that "Dwarf Cherryheads" was a marketing name created by those guys that were in FL
when the first shipment of redfoot tortoises from Brazil came in.. late 60's early 70's???

Both of my Brazilians are 12+ also - nothing "DRAWF" about those is it?

Thanks for the pics..... hey Kelly! where's those pics - or anyone else???

Thanks everybody for your feedback.. keep it up...

[ Mike made his entry while I was still typing.. thanks Mike ]

The purpose of this thread was to rag on Bigred, Did not mean to upset you nerd. What is it that upset you, I was just showing my redfoot and having a little fun

What ever gave you the idea I was upset?


N2TORTS said:
I wasn’t trying to confuse you nor anyone else , just thought I would throw in the Cherries “by name” as most of the larger torts we see are of the other types of redfoots. I believe Mr. CD has a very large Cherry male as well . Sorry bout' posting and disrupting your thread ...:(

JD you didn't disrupt this thread...!!!

You didn't confuse me.. hopefully the name [ it's never too late to correct ] cherryhead can be cleared up some day. According to [ whoever they are ] ALL carbonaria - redfoot tortoises - are the same regardless their native home in the wild. I belive that some determination should be made among the different "native" homes.. but that's a different topic all together!

The name cherryhead came from the guys in FL that opened the box containing "Brazilian" redfoot tortoises [ from Paraguay.. Brazil was closed to export ] for the first time.. and because they looked so different in colors and "male" size was so small ( compared to Northern redfoot ) they called them "Dwarf Paraguayan Cherryhead tortoises - and the name has stuck - a marketing ploy!

I was just messin' with you about confusing me!


bigred said:
Redfoot NERD said:
Hustler said:
Ive got a lady close to the 14" mark aswell CB northern to boot :)
054-1_zps7979ea84.jpg

Thanks Hustler.. my hatchlings raised up were subjected to low carapace humidity [ early on ] that caused that same irreversible bumpiness as well! Of course there are many that actually think it is something else that caused it. Great colors and patterns on her head!!!

That's how you make claims.. back your words with pics!

When you look at bigred's WC female you see the results of being fed too much [ wrong stuff? ] .. by the [ growth ] space between the scutes!

I need to get a weight of SONshine.. she's massive...

Actuallt Nerd as far as Bigred eating alot of the wrong stuff this is not the case. When I first got her I had many conversations with you on the phone about what to feed and how to raise her and have followed this. I actaully dont overfeed her at all and I dont feed her eveyday. She will go find food on her own such as grass, she pulls hibiscus branches down and eats them, she eats dog poop, pumpkin leaves, grape leaves all on her own. Do you remember all of our warm cozy conversations. Are you saying I was wrong to follow your directions on feeding her?

When you look at SONshine with the hatchling in post #4 .. you will see the growth "space" between the [ costals and vertebrals ] scutes.. which occured after about a year in captivity. After asking others [ Kingsnake forum, etc. ] and changing the amount and frequency of food made available.. a few years later the conclusion is.. overfeeding.

Not saying you or I are wrong.. simply saying that their captive diet creates "abnormal" growth - it's relative.. grazing in the wild or our back yard!
 

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Hustler said:
Ive got a lady close to the 14" mark aswell CB northern to boot :)
054-1_zps7979ea84.jpg

When we look at Hustler's pic we see the lack of "moist carapace surface" at a young age.. which creates that bumpy abnormal growth early on. I experienced the same thing! Then it occured to me [ as it did to Richard Fife and his wife ] that something was missing in "the balance"! Where do these little dudes spend their first 15 - 18 months of age? HIDING IN "MOIST" UNDERGROWTH.. munching on bugs and grubs and tender plant shoots! AAAHAAA a milestone for environment and diet and humidity and lighting.. all in one! So that explained why they act like they do at a young age.. stay comfortable [ low light ] and safe and secure and warm and moist.. with the diet they prefer and need.. [ that also provides the D3, etc. ]!

You see good consistent growth in Hustler's girl - the "white" between the scutes means new healthy growth is coming - I really like the patterns on her head !

Can we see more pics of her please.. especially her face, etc. ?


Hustler said:
Holy Smokes JD! Thats it..... Let me know when a place comes up for sale in your neighborhood! Thats unreal!


Ohh i missed any underlying stuff there, I was replying to a tortoise post....lol I gotta read these more often :)



You didn't miss anything .. because there wasn't any underlying anything Hustler! Not from me anyway...
 

Bryan

Active Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
590
I guess I'll just take it as some people coming across differently in print than they would in person or on the phone or maybe more accurately some people not being able to articulate very well? Either way I hope that it was just harmless ribbing on your part Terry as it didn't come across that way in my eyes at least.
 

New Posts

Top