How big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
How big does a redfoot need to be to sex it. In other words, at what rough size do they exhibit the male or female characteristics?

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
I've heard from other posts that the carapace length has to be anywhere from 5-7 inches.
(correct me if I'm wrong) :p

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That is generally correct, from about 5-7" SCL. Some even have to be a bit larger. My little male is 7" and definitely male.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
PeanutbuttER said:
How big does a redfoot need to be to sex it. In other words, at what rough size do they exhibit the male or female characteristics?

That has been an debate for years.... Some exhibit or show tell tell signs ..even smaller than 5". While others you might have to wait till slightly larger...

JD~:)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
That's great. I have one that just hit 6". I'll post pics of him/her tonight!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I had a Northern that I thought was a female right at 7", who developed into a full male in the last few months.

I have read several accounts that Southerns, more specifically, the cherrys, often show the signs at a smaller size- 5" or so. That is one reason a lot of people label them as 'dwarves' (even though they can often get larger than most Northerns!)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Believe what you like guys - I agree with Mark.. especially about the Northerns! I raised them up from hatchlungs and had a few [ trades ] from 4" SCL that are over 7" SCL now and still not sure what they are.......... they always look like females until a few months before they start the 'changes'!

Now the Brazilians....... these dudes are as confused as I am. 6 incher's out there "squeakin' around" climbin' up on anything that isn't moving. It's hilarious!!!

I'll see if I can get a few pics.. it's about to break a temp record [ 92 F ] today and the humidity is in the 80's...................

NERD

TORTOMANIA

5 Year Member
BUFFALO NY
i actually have a 13" redfoot that i still cannot tell m or f
it shows signs of both,, short stubby tail, but it has a very concave plastron
i really havent pursued the more invasive way of knowing for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.