How can I help this little one?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
If that poor fellow(& bless you for saving him Kyoder) was in my open yard, he'd be taken tonight. That isn't a question, just what would happen, the only question would be what animal "got there first".

I see that you are new here too, like me.....and you'll really have to take my word on this one but you've gotten above, advice from some of the best talent here....and I rarely exaggerate!

Good luck with your little guy!!

jeff

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If that poor fellow(& bless you for saving him Kyoder) was in my open yard, he'd be taken tonight. That isn't a question, just what would happen, the only question would be what animal "got there first".

I see that you are new here too, like me.....and you'll really have to take my word on this one but you've gotten above, advice from some of the best talent here....and I rarely exaggerate!

Good luck with your little guy!!

jeff
Funny Jeff...but close to the line. Actually I haven't been able to post so wss going around "testing the waters" as they say and it looks like I can post now, sorry...
I just had a feral cat have kittens in my leopards outdoor enclosure. She never bothered my torts
It can happen but likely wouldn't. Dogs are more of a threat.
I want a kitten...what color and long or short hair? Even if you won't let me have one, ya gotta post pictures

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If that were me, I would set him up in the house in a semi aquatic way. I would soak him everyday for about 30 minutes in warm water and Gerber strained carrots. Swollen eyes in a box turtle generally means a vitamin A lack and the baby food helps with that.
If that is a small animal Veterinarian save your money, they will not know about that little turtle and might give a vitamin injection and that's not good. Keep him warm. Make an outside pen for him that is safe and escape proof. He would die in the wild. He will need to live in the house during the winter and maybe year round if you cannot make it safe. Here's a care sheet to help. I am very serious when I say don't bother with the Vet. It will take about 3 to 4 weeks doing just what you've been told here and he will get better. He will never look normal but you can improve his health and live a decent life. He would not be able to hibernate. Would you mind just telling us what city you are close to and possibly there's an exotic Vet in Washington or Eastern Oregon...
100_7512.JPG

Morty23

California
Aww what a cutie. He looks a lot like my little deformed rescue as far as being too big for his shell. My Morty came from a similar home situation too where he’d spent 20 odd years in 5 homes only being fed iceberg lettuce :/.

At that age, you’re basically going to have a deformed turtle with some kind of metabolic bone disease. From what my vet said, it's too advanced to be corrected. You can give him all the good stuff to keep him healthy though!

Mine is super picky about food. He was never introduced to any of the good stuff so I’ve found different flavors of baby food (especially turkey) as a binder for everything else helps coax him to eat.

With that shell, he can’t pull himself inside like normal turtles. Please don’t leave him in an outdoor enclosure without protection. I had intended to give mine to a sanctuary but they wouldn’t take him because they said the other turtles would probably kill him. They have no defenses when they’re like that.

Thanks for rescuing that little nugget. I’m sure he’s going to be so grateful to have a better place to be.

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
North East USA
...and give her nails/claws a trim so she can walk more easily too.
A few days of eye drops, athletes foot/anti fungal on the shell and natural sunlight, humidity and clean water will help a lot.

Kyoder

Idaho
...and give her nails/claws a trim so she can walk more easily too.
A few days of eye drops, athletes foot/anti fungal on the shell and natural sunlight, humidity and clean water will help a lot.
I’ve been slowly trimming his nails down. The quick is very long because they’ve never been trimmed so I don’t want to trim them too short too fast

Kyoder

Idaho
If that were me, I would set him up in the house in a semi aquatic way. I would soak him everyday for about 30 minutes in warm water and Gerber strained carrots. Swollen eyes in a box turtle generally means a vitamin A lack and the baby food helps with that.
If that is a small animal Veterinarian save your money, they will not know about that little turtle and might give a vitamin injection and that's not good. Keep him warm. Make an outside pen for him that is safe and escape proof. He would die in the wild. He will need to live in the house during the winter and maybe year round if you cannot make it safe. Here's a care sheet to help. I am very serious when I say don't bother with the Vet. It will take about 3 to 4 weeks doing just what you've been told here and he will get better. He will never look normal but you can improve his health and live a decent life. He would not be able to hibernate. Would you mind just telling us what city you are close to and possibly there's an exotic Vet in Washington or Eastern Oregon...
View attachment 329059

I live about an hour from Coeur d’Alene idaho. There might be a reptile vet in Spokane but I’m not sure. I called a bunch of places and they all only had small animal vets. Thanks for the tip with the baby food, I’ll try that. So far I’ve just been doing eye drops.

Kyoder

Idaho
Aww what a cutie. He looks a lot like my little deformed rescue as far as being too big for his shell. My Morty came from a similar home situation too where he’d spent 20 odd years in 5 homes only being fed iceberg lettuce :/.

At that age, you’re basically going to have a deformed turtle with some kind of metabolic bone disease. From what my vet said, it's too advanced to be corrected. You can give him all the good stuff to keep him healthy though!

Mine is super picky about food. He was never introduced to any of the good stuff so I’ve found different flavors of baby food (especially turkey) as a binder for everything else helps coax him to eat.

With that shell, he can’t pull himself inside like normal turtles. Please don’t leave him in an outdoor enclosure without protection. I had intended to give mine to a sanctuary but they wouldn’t take him because they said the other turtles would probably kill him. They have no defenses when they’re like that.

Thanks for rescuing that little nugget. I’m sure he’s going to be so grateful to have a better place to be.
My little guy is funny. He’s a super picky eater too (he was also only fed iceberg lettuce and cat food for 25 years) but I’ve got two budgie parakeets and if he watched the budgies eat something like peas or carrots or lemon balm then he will try eating it haha. For a Turtle he’s very social and he really seems to love the birds. I have no intention of giving him to a sanctuary. After the situation that I pulled him out of I’m not sure I’d trust him with anyone else so he’s stuck with me for life. And don’t worry, I won’t be leaving him outside alone without protection. I’m planning on getting some wire and making a frame that can go over the big cedar planter that I let him run around in when I’m home

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
As for the nails if this one can be kept where they will wear down naturally that will help. I think good UVB and natural sunlight will do a lot to help this little one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's not shell rot, he's just extremely dry and dessicated. . . sort of like your hands when they're too dry and chapped.

He'll never be perfect, but he's made it this far with bad care. Imagine how long he'll go now with good care!

It's a male three toe (Terrapene carolina triunguis).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Funny Jeff...but close to the line. Actually I haven't been able to post so wss going around "testing the waters" as they say and it looks like I can post now, sorry...
I want a kitten...what color and long or short hair? Even if you won't let me have one, ya gotta post pictures
Oh I would have let anyone have one but they went to a cat rescue. Two orange and white and one black and white. The one calico I didn't get a pic of but was taken and assuming killed by a fox probably.

Attachments

• 20210703_140009.jpg
    20210703_140009.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 8

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Aw'www that poor lil pumpkin, Her/His life as been horrible, But things are looking up for Him/her. As has been mentioned prior She/He will not be "normal", it would be great if She/He could become "normal", But that's ok. I'm sure you'll love Her/Him , and Her/His life can only get better from here on out.
Thank you for helping this lil Pumpkin. ??

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
How desperately sad.thank you soooo much for taking him in and making an immediate life improvement. I think you have lots of advise and time will heal. Feel free to send updates in future months so we see progress. With good care and diet he will thrive but it will take time even years but it will never be as bad as it has been for him.

Kyoder

Idaho
That's not shell rot, he's just extremely dry and dessicated. . . sort of like your hands when they're too dry and chapped.

He'll never be perfect, but he's made it this far with bad care. Imagine how long he'll go now with good care!

It's a male three toe (Terrapene carolina triunguis).
Is there anything more I can do for his dry skin besides keeping him in a humid environment and letting him soak himself? Like rub him with aloe or soak him in something? He’ll soak himself on his own for a solid hour every day. He didn’t have any way to soak himself in his previous environment so I’m sure it feels good. Also, are u sure it isn’t shell rot? Can dry skin cause his shell to deteriorate? If you look at this picture from
The side you can see where his bare skin is exposed between his top and bottom shell

Attachments

• 60DC791D-DAF6-45C9-880A-F8E7AB141711.jpeg
    60DC791D-DAF6-45C9-880A-F8E7AB141711.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 12

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there anything more I can do for his dry skin besides keeping him in a humid environment and letting him soak himself? Like rub him with aloe or soak him in something? He’ll soak himself on his own for a solid hour every day. He didn’t have any way to soak himself in his previous environment so I’m sure it feels good. Also, are u sure it isn’t shell rot? Can dry skin cause his shell to deteriorate? If you look at this picture from
The side you can see where his bare skin is exposed between his top and bottom shell
Yes, I'm sure it isn't shell rot or fungus. You see this an awful lot with box turtles that have been cared for like yours was.

You can get some cold pressed coconut oil and massage a little into those parts a couple times a day. Allow about 15 minutes for it to absorb then wipe off the excess.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
A suggestion is soaking.... Get ideally 2 X highsided bowl with warm shallow clean water only up to edge of Lower shell around 30 deg and place in for 20 mins working up to 40 mins over time. This had three benefits all for hydration it encourages drinking water, helps shell and it can help excreet. Switch to new bowl when water cold or dirty till time is up. Try to do this at least once a week . Initially there may be some climbing but that is normal however as it has gone though misery I think a kind sow approach will be in order. Overtime you will see new growth with diet and better environment. As mentioned coconut oil really helps apply to the shell as it moisturises .

Kyoder

Idaho
A suggestion is soaking.... Get ideally 2 X highsided bowl with warm shallow clean water only up to edge of Lower shell around 30 deg and place in for 20 mins working up to 40 mins over time. This had three benefits all for hydration it encourages drinking water, helps shell and it can help excreet. Switch to new bowl when water cold or dirty till time is up. Try to do this at least once a week . Initially there may be some climbing but that is normal however as it has gone though misery I think a kind sow approach will be in order. Overtime you will see new growth with diet and better environment. As mentioned coconut oil really helps apply to the shell as it moisturises .
I’ve been giving him soaks about twice a week and he seems to really like it, doesn’t try to climb out at all, just stretches out and seems content. And of course he soaks himself in the water dish too, and I empty that out and put new clean water in every day or if it gets too dirty.

Kyoder

Idaho
Yes, I'm sure it isn't shell rot or fungus. You see this an awful lot with box turtles that have been cared for like yours was.

You can get some cold pressed coconut oil and massage a little into those parts a couple times a day. Allow about 15 minutes for it to absorb then wipe off the excess.
got some coconut oil, sat down in the living room and put it on him and he got all squirmy so I finished up and let him go to run around on the floor while he absorbed it. My cat (who usually ignores the turtle completely) walked over and started licking it off on him lol. Thanks for the coconut tip!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I'm a firm believer in "carrot soaks" as described above. When little Matilda got into trouble at 6 mos old or so, there's no question, 85F carrot soaks (courtesy of Gerber, the baby people) got her square FAST! In less than a week she was back to being the biggest, baddest beast in her entire world. A force to be reckoned with for sure.