How can I make her habitat closed?

MStacy

5 Year Member
Hi! I have a 7 1/2 month Sulcata. I'm going to post a pic of our setup. Right now she's 2 1/2 inches and in a 100 gallon tank. It came with a mesh top. I know the clamp lights aren't ideal, but I'm not sure what else I can do. My MVB is on the left my CHE is in the middle. I have no idea the temps and humidity because my thermometer/humidity measure hasn't came in yet. I know this needs to be enclosed, but I don't know a cheap easy option to enclose it and hang my lights.

Attachments

• IMG_20150804_092433021_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150804_092433021_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 58

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome. Are you in the US?
You are right about the clamps they have been known to fail and could be burn risk to you tort or even a fire hazard.
You can buy lamp stands which you can hang them from instead or get someone clever to make them for you.
There is a great caresheet for sulcatas, I also found the Beginners Mistakes very useful.
if you have a look at the enclosures thread there are lots of ideas for covering enclosures using things like aluminium foil to plexiglass (with holes cut out for lamps etc) but check it our for yourself there are lots of options.
Most people run their CHEs through a thermostat so the night temps will be regulated for you. I don't think this works with MVBs though.
A temp gun is very useful for spot checking the 4 temps your tort needs rather than a fixed one buy you need to get something to at least give you an idea asap to make sure your tort isn't too hot or cold - baby torts are more susceptible to mistakes. I have heard members say you can buy a digital temp/humidity meter in places like Walmart, Lowes etc quite cheaply.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi! I have a 7 1/2 month Sulcata. I'm going to post a pic of our setup. Right now she's 2 1/2 inches and in a 100 gallon tank. It came with a mesh top. I know the clamp lights aren't ideal, but I'm not sure what else I can do. My MVB is on the left my CHE is in the middle. I have no idea the temps and humidity because my thermometer/humidity measure hasn't came in yet. I know this needs to be enclosed, but I don't know a cheap easy option to enclose it and hang my lights.
Hi, and welcome to the Forum. I've been on it for just couple of weeks and have had same questions. My babies are in a tank as well. It has metal screen cover and lamps sit on top of it. I've been experimenting with different things, and lately trying to use just heavy duty kitchen aluminum foil to cover the top, lamps and all. I have 3 thermometers and hygrometers in different areas of the tank, plus infrared gun thermometer for spot checks. I think I'd wait till my gages were set up because depending on strength of your lights the tank may get very hot very quickly when covered. Mine did with 100 watt bulb. I just keep playing with things until I get it right, but remember: SAFETY FIRST. Again, welcome to you and your tort

MStacy

5 Year Member
I ordered what I thought was a digital thermostat, but turns out it's a rheostat which is nothing but a light dimmer...so there is $20 wasted. I also ordered a temp/humidity gauge, but I'm assuming it's just something that attaches to the tank on the inside. Where can I purchase a temp gun? Do I need that also? I'm trying to do things as frugally as possible since I've already spent so much money.

I'm wondering if I can just use what I have with the gauge and then manually adjust the heat with the rheostat. I'm guessing that will be a lot of work.

Pearly, won't the mesh ton melt when a light is on it? I didn't buy a deep dome fixture for my MVB, so it doesn't lie flat anyways.

Yes, I'm in the U.S.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have read somewhere on TFO that deep domes can affect the life span of the bulbs as they can cause the bulb to overheat and burn out. But use 'Search' to see what that throws out about them. I'm not sure what Pearly means but would think any mesh would let heat and humidity escape Maybe its just partial for the lamps.

If you use plexiglass you would have to have holes cut big enough for the lamps without them touching it in any way so it didn't melt. Also search forums for covers for tanks/enclosures too Many have had the same question so I'm sure there'll be lots of answers already there. Have a look at the Enclosures thread to see what people have done.

Yes it is hard work if you have to keep adjusting the CHE temp manually and what if it gets too hot in the night when you are asleep?

The temp gun is easy for spot checking the 4 temps you need - I got mine from Amazon cost me about £9 I think.

The initial set up is expensive but worth getting it right or it could cost you a lot more in vets bills!

Tort_nube

Hi I'm currently new to this as well seeing as I have a hatchling sulcata but what I've done is covered half the enclosure top with tin foil! It's great at keeping heat and humidity in if you keep it on tight around the edges and mist with water often to keep humidity up!

MStacy

5 Year Member
Thank you! That's what I just started doing today. Hoping to get my thermometer and humidity gauge today.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
If the mesh lid is metal, then it won't melt if you put your lamps on it. It'll get hot though so you'll need to be careful. I have a deep dome fixture for my MVB and haven't had an issue with it yet. My first bulb did burn out after 6 months, but there was damage inside of the bulb so I'm doubting now that it had anything to do with deep dome...but anything is possible. I have seen many enclosures where people use mesh lids and cover all the openings except where the light/CHE sits. In order to rest those things on top of the mesh, you have to you some type of dome fixture. Your bulb needs to be stable and flat in order to do its job correctly. After you have the MVB and CHE where you want them...cover the rest of the mesh with foil. You will need to monitor the temps VERY carefully, because going from open top to closed chambers will make the temperature go up fast. You may need to make adjustments after that based on where the temps end up.

Also, how tall is your tank? It looks as the MVB bulb is too high to benefit your tort. There are a lot of other ways to keep heat and humidity in, take a look around the enclosure section for more ideas like Lyn said. I have been using greenhouse/cold frame tents with a lot of success lately, here's my current in-progress enclosure for my Leopards.
IMG_3560.JPG

MStacy

5 Year Member
It's about two feet high. How are your bulbs hanging in that tent? What hardware did you use to hang them?
Thank you.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
It's about two feet high. How are your bulbs hanging in that tent? What hardware did you use to hang them?
Thank you.
My MVB is 16 inches above the substrate. According to the manufacturer of my bulb, it needs to be about 12-18 inches above carapace height in order for the tort to benefit from the UVA/UVB rays. Two feet might be ok to get the right basking temperature, but it may not provide your tort with enough UV rays. Where in the US are you? Baby torts need about an hour of sunshine a few times of week if your climate allows. If you can get your baby outside safely a few days a week then the height of your MVB bulb may not be as big of a factor.

I didn't use any hardware to hang them. The tent has two poles that go diagonally from each corner and that is what the tent rests on (kind of like a camping tent). I just wrapped the cords around the poles once I figured out what height the fixtures needed to be at.

I got the idea for this enclosure from Elohi, another member here. Here is a link to the post she did about her lifetime raised bed (she has much better pictures of it than I do). Closed Chamber: Leopard Edition

MStacy

5 Year Member
My MVB is 16 inches above the substrate. According to the manufacturer of my bulb, it needs to be about 12-18 inches above carapace height in order for the tort to benefit from the UVA/UVB rays. Two feet might be ok to get the right basking temperature, but it may not provide your tort with enough UV rays. Where in the US are you? Baby torts need about an hour of sunshine a few times of week if your climate allows. If you can get your baby outside safely a few days a week then the height of your MVB bulb may not be as big of a factor.

I didn't use any hardware to hang them. The tent has two poles that go diagonally from each corner and that is what the tent rests on (kind of like a camping tent). I just wrapped the cords around the poles once I figured out what height the fixtures needed to be at.

I got the idea for this enclosure from Elohi, another member here. Here is a link to the post she did about her lifetime raised bed (she has much better pictures of it than I do). Closed Chamber: Leopard Edition
Thank you! I just measured and my uvb is 14 inches from the top of the substrate. We are in Florida with plenty of sunshine. I actually do her daily baths outside so she gets 30 mins to an hour of sun rays almost everyday.

Where do you find the greenhouse tents? That's awesome!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
You're welcome :) I got mine on amazon. If you do a search for "raised garden beds" lots of different kinds will pop up.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I ordered what I thought was a digital thermostat, but turns out it's a rheostat which is nothing but a light dimmer...so there is $20 wasted. I also ordered a temp/humidity gauge, but I'm assuming it's just something that attaches to the tank on the inside. Where can I purchase a temp gun? Do I need that also? I'm trying to do things as frugally as possible since I've already spent so much money.

I'm wondering if I can just use what I have with the gauge and then manually adjust the heat with the rheostat. I'm guessing that will be a lot of work.

Pearly, won't the mesh ton melt when a light is on it? I didn't buy a deep dome fixture for my MVB, so it doesn't lie flat anyways.

Yes, I'm in the U.S.
The top of my tank is metal screen that is made for the light fixtures to be put on it. Loose covering with aluminum foil prevents the a/c'ed room air from mixing with the heated/humid tank air. My covering is just improvising for now until I get it right, but I will NOT spend any more money for something I end up not needing any more. You're right! It gets pretty pricey! My "gun thermometer" looks like little pen light. It's a small infrared device that I got at Petco. It seems pretty accurate. I also have the "dial" gauges attached to tank wall one set in dark and one set in basking area. My digital termometer/hygrometer probes sit where the babies sleep and spend most of their time. I use the "gun" for spot checks on anything else. It is very quick. It cost about 20 or 29$.

Pearly

5 Year Member
If the mesh lid is metal, then it won't melt if you put your lamps on it. It'll get hot though so you'll need to be careful. I have a deep dome fixture for my MVB and haven't had an issue with it yet. My first bulb did burn out after 6 months, but there was damage inside of the bulb so I'm doubting now that it had anything to do with deep dome...but anything is possible. I have seen many enclosures where people use mesh lids and cover all the openings except where the light/CHE sits. In order to rest those things on top of the mesh, you have to you some type of dome fixture. Your bulb needs to be stable and flat in order to do its job correctly. After you have the MVB and CHE where you want them...cover the rest of the mesh with foil. You will need to monitor the temps VERY carefully, because going from open top to closed chambers will make the temperature go up fast. You may need to make adjustments after that based on where the temps end up.

Also, how tall is your tank? It looks as the MVB bulb is too high to benefit your tort. There are a lot of other ways to keep heat and humidity in, take a look around the enclosure section for more ideas like Lyn said. I have been using greenhouse/cold frame tents with a lot of success lately, here's my current in-progress enclosure for my Leopards.
View attachment 142039
Omg!!!! I totally love this tent!!! Looks genius to me! I'll be looking for something like that and try to replicate it. Thank you!!!!

MStacy

5 Year Member
my day time temp is at about 90 degrees, but my humidity is only 50 %. The whole substrate is damp and there is a small water dish in there. What else can I do?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
my day time temp is at about 90 degrees, but my humidity is only 50 %. The whole substrate is damp and there is a small water dish in there. What else can I do?
The only way to get the humidity up is to seal off the enclosure as much as possible. That's why I like the greenhouse tents because everything is inside the tent (light, etc.) and very little, if any air can escape.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Hi, just checking in to see if you have been able to figure out your enclosure seal issue. I love the raised bed with the tent idea and this will be something I'll definitely consider in a future but for now I have my babies in nursery tank like you with the metal screen top and lamps sitting on top. My tank is pretty well planted and I have thriving earthworms in the substrate which tell me that it is moist enough for them, but the air humidity was inconsistent with misting several times per day. The heat of the lamps was just sucking all the moisture up. I have tried several ways of closing the top to keep room air (airconditioned) from mixing with the tank microclimate but so far nothing gave me results I'd like as much as my current insulated cover. I posted pictures and brief description in "closed chambers" thread. Take a look if you are interested. Let me know what you think