How can I make her habitat closed?

MStacy

5 Year Member
Hi, just checking in to see if you have been able to figure out your enclosure seal issue. I love the raised bed with the tent idea and this will be something I'll definitely consider in a future but for now I have my babies in nursery tank like you with the metal screen top and lamps sitting on top. My tank is pretty well planted and I have thriving earthworms in the substrate which tell me that it is moist enough for them, but the air humidity was inconsistent with misting several times per day. The heat of the lamps was just sucking all the moisture up. I have tried several ways of closing the top to keep room air (airconditioned) from mixing with the tank microclimate but so far nothing gave me results I'd like as much as my current insulated cover. I posted pictures and brief description in "closed chambers" thread. Take a look if you are interested. Let me know what you think
We did get it resolved. My hubby built a wooden frame to hang the lights inside and to support a plexiglass top. I was have to wet the substrate three times a day. My humidity stayed around 40%. Now that he built this custom top it's at 99% humidity!

Attachments

• IMG_20150810_132159883_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20150810_132159883_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10

MStacy

5 Year Member
Thanks! Super blessed with a handy hubby! Totoro is doing great!

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1439231592644.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
You are keeping her temp above 80 though aren't you? It's more important now than ever before because with high humidity and low temps your tort will be susceptible to respiratory infections. 80 or higher around the clock.

MStacy

5 Year Member
You are keeping her temp above 80 though aren't you? It's more important now than ever before because with high humidity and low temps your tort will be susceptible to respiratory infections. 80 or higher around the clock.
Yes, always above 80 degrees!