How can I tell the age of a Sulcata?

Susan Rod

Hi,
I have 2 Sultacas I found in a box at a mall's Parking Lot. I found them in February last year. I didnt buy them so now that I been reading on this site I feel so badI have not been doing a good Job..I did buy a calcium suplement (white powder). I
Keep them because I didnt know what to do with them!! I hope I have not done alot of damage. I think they have Now I Love them so much one is Bigger than the other I dont know the sex or age.I need to know when its a good time to have them outside they eat very good now I cut grass from my yard I can build them a Pen out side have 1 acre on my back yard that has lost off grass. But Im scared
Can any body help please?

Last edited:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Unless you know their hatch date, you can't tell their age. They grow at different rates. Your smaller one could be older than the larger one. Often when sulcatas are kept together, one will stay small because he is being bullied by the larger one. You should seriously consider building separate pens for them, preferably where they can't see or smell each other.

Even small tortoises can be put outside supervised for short periods of time. Once they get larger, and they aren't in danger of being picked up by birds or getting lost in the grass, you can put them outside in a pen as long as it is warm enough. I put Charlie outdoors full time when he was 5 years old but I think you can do it much sooner. @Tom can tell you the size your torts should be in order to live outdoors. If you put them outdoors year round, you'll need to provide a heated shelter.

Susan Rod

Thank You! Charlie I will make them their own pen outside. But not now I live in Southern CA and its still cold in the day and more at night. Tomorrow I will put the baby in its own tank..till I find outvif its ok to put them outside
But only when It gets warmer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Susan.

Pics of the tortoises and more info about how you've been caring for them will help us to help you. There is a lot of misinformation and conflicting info put there in the world right now and we'd love to help you sort through it all with explanations of what is going on.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum,@Susan Rod .

Pics would enable us to help you/give you advise more easily.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hello and welcome! You've come to the right place!