How Can I Treat his mouth?

Mina Adel

I think it is some sort of fungus.
he is opening his mouth all the time.
and there is mush saliva in his mouth. and a white color.

1469013076927.jpg 1469013093199.jpg 1469013107561.jpg 1469013122735.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kori5

Mina how do you know it's mouth rot? I'm sorry but that tortoise looks very sick and I think only a vet can help him. I think you should have known by now how dangerous is to treat them with drugs without supervision :(.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
With the history of Mina's torts, this could be anything.

Mina, needless to say, this tort must be kept in isolation from the rest to prevent the spread of infection

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I don't think mouth rot alone would lead to open mouth breathing, maybe mouth rot + respiratory infection?

Mina Adel

With the history of Mina's torts, this could be anything.

Mina, needless to say, this tort must be kept in isolation from the rest to prevent the spread of infection
He is not mine. someone asked me for help. and have him to me. I am keeping him alone.
we are in summer. the weather is hot .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From the Tortoise Trust web site:

Stomatitis: If caught early, swab mouth twice daily with diluted Nolvasan or povidone-iodine (Betadine liquid). Severe infections need urgent veterinary treatment. Regular beak maintenance is important to prevent stomatitis. Some forms are caused by a herpes-group virus. Mixed colonies are much more at risk than small same-species groups maintained in isolation. Treatment is prolonged and often the prognosis is poor.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
This tort will need antibiotic shots as well. Can be done at home if you are comfortable using farm store antibiotics and sterile saline mixes and giving a tort a shot. Smaller torts are much harder. If that sounds too hard, a vet visit is necessary.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This tort will need antibiotic shots as well. Can be done at home if you are comfortable using farm store antibiotics and sterile saline mixes and giving a tort a shot. Smaller torts are much harder. If that sounds too hard, a vet visit is necessary.
Don't even start with that. This tort is in Egypt. We have had a big problem with guesswork medication here.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I would be very concerned about Herpes Virus or Adenovirus. If that is the underlying etiology, can not do much for this tortoise. Keeping the mouth clean w/ a 1:30 dilution of betadine might be of help. The likelihood of finding appropriate vet care where you are is minimal. Any antibiotic that would be appropriate for this animal is not going to be available. It will probably not eat in the condition it is in. I would be very pessimistic based on the images provided.

Mina Adel

he died quickly. the muscles of his fore limbs were contracted outside. his fore limbs were hard to move. as if he had prior convulsions. or some kind of epilepsy.
I got him less that a week ago.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
he died quickly. the muscles of his fore limbs were contracted outside. his fore limbs were hard to move. as if he had prior convulsions. or some kind of epilepsy.
Really sorry to hear this Mina. It's not your fault. That tort came to you very sick indeed.

Kori5

I'm so sorry for your loss :(.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i realize this was not your tortoise , but when you took him , the way i would see it , you took responsibility for him ......he may have been too far gone , it happens , but i'd have felt obligated to give him the best chance possible ...if i wasn't willing or able to do that , the owner would be taking him back home to watch him die , hopefully it would bother them ........ if this is a hobby you wish to pursue ? personally i would encourage you to find yourself a veterinarian for the medical care of your animals ....... there are numerous aquariums , zoos and exotic animal dealers in egypt ,i have a hard time believing those establishments have noone in the country to give their animals medical care ....... i would think there are most likely wildlife rescues there , you must have endangered species there ? ....before i'd just let them die , or kill them trying to treat them , i'd take them to a willing dog vet , and i have , as far as basic medical care , i assure you they're gonna take better guesses than what i believe you will .....i know and guarantee you any vets that have done surgeries on my dogs are smart enough to treat a turtle with antibiotics .... my opinion is , if i couldn't for any reason get obviously needed medical care for my animals , dogs or turtles , i wouldn't have any of them ...........

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@mark1 and any others

I would encourage you to read through Mina's previous posts.

He lives in Egypt where the attitude of others to tortoises is quite different to Mina's and the availability of vets is somewhere between very poor and non-existent.

He would love to have a vet on call, but their availability and willingness to treat torts just isn't there. It is hard for those of us in the western world to comprehend this attitude to animals, but Mina is trying her hardest with very few resources at her disposal.

Last edited by a moderator: