How Can I Treat his mouth?

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
i've seen most of his post ...........i'd be interested in hearing what he's tried as far as finding a vet ? i know there is an aquarium in alexandria , i believe a marine research institute ? i understand they keep marine and freshwater turtles ......... there is a zoo and an aquarium in cairo , an aquarium in hurghada that does have pics of sea turtles ... those took me a minute to find on "trip advisor" ........... i would think they have medical care for their animals if for no other reason monetary ...... there are conservation groups in egypt trying to save the egyptian tortoise .......

Mina Adel

here no care for tortoises.
tens die daily. they are cheap.
these pictures are of 2 pet stores.
we know nothing about them.
I hope you can teach me more to save them before it is too late.

1469376893048.jpg 1469376943909.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
http://www.americanvetcenter.com/ they say on their website they treat Dogs, Cats, Avians, Reptiles & Exotics , and have 4 offices .... if they don't work for you call them and ask for a reference ........

http://www.americanvetcenter.com/

• Zamalik
30- El Gezira EL Wosta Street
Zamalik , Cairo, Egypt. 11211
Tel:
Mob.# 01110801801

• Maadi
11 C , 199 ST, Degla
,دجله ،199 شارع ،11 ج
Ma'adi, Cairo, Egypt
Tel: 25177266
Mob: 0110 803 803

• Alexandria
254 El -Gaish Rd - Stanly
El Cornish Street, Alexandria Egypt
Mob:01110804999

• Zayed
in front of Al Rabwah compound , Gate (2) ., 12 St
امام منتجع الربوه مدخل 2- شارع 12
Tel .# 011 0802802
Mob#38 524 2060

Mina Adel

trust me I spent a lot of money. and I don't have much
I want to do a simple farm to raise a new generation of captive born Egyptian torts.
in case they extinct. and they are going to.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
@mark1 I really do not think it's that simple. This isn't a problem only Mina has encountered, many owners have a difficult time locating veterinary care. A dog and cat vet can refuse to treat a tortoise outright or make dangerous/deadly mistakes (Ivermectin as a dewormer for example).

Many zoos and conservation programs are understaffed and underfunded. It would surprise me if they readily agreed to treat a tortoise belonging to someone that had no association with the program. Sometimes smaller conservation programs do not have trained vets onsite, they simply have the means to summon a vet when necessary and I doubt they would do so for a tortoise that was not a part of their program. It is worth a few phone calls to find out for sure but I would not be surprised if they refused as conservation programs worldwide tend to already lack resources for the animals already under their care.

I feel this is a difficult situation for Mina and I really don't think this is something he does on a whim. I don't think he would consistently post on here for help and advice if he was not trying to help these animals, I believe him when he says he has looked for vets and found none.

Kori5

These pictures are terrible and disgusting. Poor animals, it makes me so sad :(.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Those pictures are hard to look at. I don't feel America is better, just more covert. There were kids smuggling dozens of turtles in their sweatshirts and selling them back in school. Other schools too. People were selling them at fast food joints and supermarkets as well, they were buying them from breeder farms and selling for a profit. Kids in my school got a three day suspension and a "stern warning" to stop. IIRC they were an endangered species (the only reason the school intervened) and they'd die so quickly from suffocating in backpacks/hoodie pockets that kids would just walk up to trash cans and toss them during the day. I was scared of going to the bathroom or anywhere that I might see one thrown away. It was disturbing then and disturbing now.

I think I understand better where you're coming from, Mina. I am not surprised at all that tortoises coming from conditions like that end up with health problems.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
maybe so , personally i think most of them don't get care because they're not worth it ........it's actually illogical to spend $100 on a sick turtle that still may die as opposed to buying a new one for $50 ...... when i'm guessing , i do know to bet the odds ........... as i said in my first post , if i didn't have the medical help i needed for my animals i wouldn't have them , i have a tough time just watching stuff die and doing nothing , and i know too much to think i'm gonna cure most of this stuff by warming them up and soaking them ....... if you have a dog vet that harms your tortoise by giving it care he doesn't know the adverse affects of , personally not someone who'd be treating my dogs , i tend to seek out smarter vets ......

not to be mean , but i've seen some of your decisions on treatments , i'm pretty sure if your gonna farm egyptian tortoises , i can confidently say , you'll fail without finding a source of medical care ......... heck , wild tortoises get sick ........

Kori5

maybe so , personally i think most of them don't get care because they're not worth it ........it's actually illogical to spend $100 on a sick turtle that still may die as opposed to buying a new one for $50 ...... when i'm guessing , i do know to bet the odds ........... as i said in my first post , if i didn't have the medical help i needed for my animals i wouldn't have them , i have a tough time just watching stuff die and doing nothing , and i know too much to think i'm gonna cure most of this stuff by warming them up and soaking them ....... if you have a dog vet that harms your tortoise by giving it care he doesn't know the adverse affects of , personally not someone who'd be treating my dogs , i tend to seek out smarter vets ......

not to be mean , but i've seen some of your decisions on treatments , i'm pretty sure if your gonna farm egyptian tortoises , i can confidently say , you'll fail without finding a source of medical care ......... heck , wild tortoises get sick ........
I really love your posts and you tend to say what I think. Of course Mina is helping as he can and I believe he is a great person for doing it. But to do animal rescue you need to have financial support and a great vet. Without these two I don't think it is possible to help a animal. And you suffer watching them suffer. I would suggest finding a good vet, it is hard to believe there isn't one who is willing to help you at least with the dosage and drug advice :). Maybe even someone online, someone of the members here. It is better than giving an overdose of antibiotic.

Rue

Canada
here no care for tortoises.
tens die daily. they are cheap.
these pictures are of 2 pet stores.
we know nothing about them.
I hope you can teach me more to save them before it is too late.

View attachment 181270 View attachment 181272

Governments have to make changes happen, they won't happen on their own.

What I find ironic, is this situation, compared to North American pet stores. North American pet stores might not be the best (over all; some are great, some are awful) but at least there are some rules governing how animals are kept, yet I keep reading posts from indignant people stating that their local pet store doesn't keep the animals in the best conditions...and that they told them so, and that they are gonna teach the so-and-so a lesson...etc.

Well, what we tend to forget here, is that a pet store is a store. They are not a zoo. They are a short-term holding facility. Animals are NOT kept in permanent, ideal enclosures. So if you see a betta fish in a small cup, a kitten in a small pen or a tortoise in a 10 g aquarium on rabbit pellets - that is not showing you what the ideal living conditions are. It is up to the new owner to provide that for the animal.

Pet stores have to have easy to clean and easy to maintain holding enclosures.

What I do wish, is that the pet supply manufacturers would start showing - and making - better animal cages. People will buy what is available, even if it's too small or just wrong, and think that it is adequate. I am continually appalled at ads and packaging showing goldfish being kept in tiny aquariums, or betta being kept in betta bowls. Even a betta needs a 5 g, filtered (possibly heated) tank. And a 5 g tank is not big.

If the manufacturers showed attractive, beautiful, healthy set-ups, as the norm, then that's what people will start to gravitate towards.

So next time we feel like complaining about the conditions in our local pet stores, remember the conditions in other parts of the world, such as these photos of MIna's. We can certainly strive towards making local conditions even better, but our temporary housing is pretty decent in most stores. They do care for their animals, because they have to sell them. Selling dead, sick, dying animals is not good for business.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Mina ,if any of those tortoises are egyptian tortoises , send your pics and story to this guy Dr. Sherif Baha El Din [email protected] ...... also contact the nature conservation sector of the Environmental Affairs Agency ..... egyptian tortoises ,unless i'm misinformed , are appendix l , and are illegal to possess , sell or transport in egypt without a permit ............. the laws are in place , e-mail and call the folks who can get them enforced , folks like Dr. Sherif Baha El Din are among those that know how , if you can contact him he probably could help you , he'd probably take care of it himself if it's a regular occurrence ......... thisinformation is pretty easily accessible , if it happens to be out dated , i doubt it'd be hard to get the current info ............ here's some cites contacts in egypt

https://cites.org/eng/cms/index.php/component/cp/country/EG