How can they hold their breath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Anyone know the biological mechanism or evolutionary reason that enables tortoises to supposedly hold their breath for a really long time (like surviving underwater for so long)? Anyone have some source because my roommate was really interested in it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I do not have any links but I thought it was some type of gas exchange that watar turtle do that enable them to stay under water for so long, I have heard almost every theory including they asorb O thru their skin, to they breathe thru their cloaca.

I did find this one I laughed pretty hard when I read it, about butt breathing.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2325/is-it-true-turtles-breathe-through-their-butts[hr]
I found a lot of wiki answers but since anyone can edit wiki I do not considefr it a credible source myself.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
dmmj said:
I thought it was some type of gas exchange that watar turtle do

I think he's talking about tortoises, not turtles.
First off, I believe that torts have a very slow breathing rate to begin with.....

Homerist

10 Year Member!
Hi DoctorCosmonaut,

I don't think tortoise will be able to hold their breath when they are a pool of water, or when their head is in a small area of water.

Logic tells me that they will breath normally, and take in the water through their nose (unwillingly) where later, may or maynot develop flu, or RNS.

Um.. sounds correct? ;)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Homerist said:
Hi DoctorCosmonaut,

I don't think tortoise will be able to hold their breath when they are a pool of water, or when their head is in a small area of water.

Logic tells me that they will breath normally, and take in the water through their nose (unwillingly) where later, may or maynot develop flu, or RNS.

Um.. sounds correct? ;)

Huh? Who the is planning on torturing their tort like that? The goal of the post is to find the scientific reason as to why tortoises can survive in low oxygen environments and survive for so long with no oxygen.

fyi the underwater comment came from people discussing their torts surviving falling into water and being in it for a considerable amount of time.

Homerist

10 Year Member!
Hi DoctorCosmonaut,

Does my comments sounds like a suggestion to torture our beloved tortoises? If it does to you, I will like to apologise here. =)

"The goal of the post is to find the scientific reason as to why tortoises can survive in low oxygen environments and survive for so long with no oxygen."

So is this true? The part where, "...survive for so long with no oxygen".
I'm curious. =)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I think dmmj's article talks about it... or mine does? I don't remember. lol

Homerist

10 Year Member!
So they do hold their breath?!
Fascinating!

wooo.... we can never totally understand them(animals)

they are simply marvelous....

And my homer is absolutely cute! =D

Hope everyone enjoy their time with their torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.