How did you acquire your first tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Thanks for all your responses, everyone! It's great to read all the different circumstances!

Sky2Mina said:
Cherylim, I can understand what you're going through. I hate waiting. I waited three months. But actually I think it's also a good thing... gives you time to do the research and prepare yourself, as well as testing if you really really want a tortoise or if it's only a fix idea.

Initially I wanted a Greek Tortoise. But I'm in Thailand, so there are no 'real' breeders here. There are some Sulcata Breeders and sometimes others manage to breed other species (but rarely that they're sold, imports are still the norm), but absolutely none for Greek or other Testudo Tortoises. I heard they come in Seasons (not sure from where) so I waited patiently for three months (I thought they'd be available in May-June) but until today, haven's seen any being sold at all.

Haha, yes, I know this wait should be a good thing but I think I have reached the point where I'm ready, and would like to learn more with my tortoise by my side. I know my time will come soon enough, but sitting in the room with the tortoise table and imagining her arrival makes me impatient! :p

I can't imagine coping for three months, but maybe it would be easier...the reason I'm becoming impatient now is because things could be happening at any time - I think it would be easier to get on with things if I knew I had a three month wait!

I'm looking forward to sharing photos and thoughts with you guys when the time comes - for now, I'm just browsing the threads lots and staring at all your pictures.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I got my first tortoise at age... 17, I think? She was given to me by a neighbor kid. His older sister found out I keep snakes (ah--the merits of handing out candy on Halloween with a snake around your neck!), and mentioned her brother had this one that he never took care of and wanted to get rid of. So, about a month later (because it just didn't get brought up again for that long), I went over and got her. Poor thing, a 6.5" Russian, was crammed in a 20 gallon tank (that's 2 ft long, 1 ft long) with a heat pad and that's about it. All things considered, though, she was in fantastic health, and I actually kind of regret rehoming her, even though I knew very well I couldn't accommodate her at the time (and I'm sure she's happy--living with a TFO member back in Washington as part of a breeding group).

So, I didn't purposely get my first tortoise... She found me! Which I'm happy for. I'd researched tortoises in the past, decided they were too troublesome, and passed on the idea, many times. Actually, that's not unlike how I ended up with bearded dragons--always figured they were too tough for me (at age 15--probably was right, LOL) to take care of, then, at about age 16, a guy we were buying a large aquarium from (for a snake) asked if we wanted his kid's lizard (kid had moved out of the state)... Man Ray has recovered from his MBD and neglect quite well considering my experience level at the time, and is now my fat 'n happy little man! :p

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I think I always wanted tortoise for as long as I can remember... but being from my family I wasn't able to get anything really until i went out and bought them myself! So a little over a year ago I got my first two and I thought last tortoise! They were Ibera Greek tortoises.. very awesome. Well after seeing so many pictures of Leopards and how amazing they look I eventually broke down and got my Leopards :) They were all purchased online. (Oh the internet) My Greeks came from the same breeder. My Leopards are from 3 different breeders.. you can tell a lot about how the breeder is through the health of the torts.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Mao Senpai said:
I think I always wanted tortoise for as long as I can remember... but being from my family I wasn't able to get anything really until i went out and bought them myself!
One of the things I love about living on my own. :D My mom was always against pets (at least at first)... so now, I just buy whatever I want and tell her afterwards about my new cool pet. Although now I have to discuss the matter with my boyfriend first... :rolleyes: I guess you're never fully independent (but it's a lot easier to persuade a bf than a mother lol).

Chery - I understand that you don't want to wait anymore. I was on the forum everyday (ok, still am :D), looking at pictures, making plans of how to decorate the enclosure etc.
Couldn't you call the breeder to find out what's really up? Oh, and did you mention what kind of tort you are getting? A greek?

Mina

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
I have always loved and wanted some tortoises. One day at work, I decided to buy some! I did some research and found 2 on Craigslist. I drove 4 hours to get them, and luckily I did. They were very poorly taken care of. Now they are doing great! So happy I got the wild idea one day. Oh, I was 27!

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
It's a long story - sorry if i bore anyone.
I've ridden horses since I was 2 and owned them since I was 5 (I'm 20 now!). Horses have always been my thing but i've also always been an animal person. I've owned every kind of thing imaginable (hamsters, rabbits, guniea-pigs, mice, gerbils, chinchillas, cats, dogs, chickens... probably some i've missed off) I use to rescue a lot of things as well.
My mum is a big animal lover. (she's got a degree in animal science & molecular biology, studied to be a vet (gave that up as couldn't manage surgery!) then worked in labs for the vet school and hospital, doing a Ph.D at the same time!) So i guess i got my love for animals from her.
However I've never owned or taken a big interest in reptiles. I loved holding snakes, lizards. Feeding them and learning about them. I use to have friends that had snakes and use to go to the vet school and uni with my mum. We have photos of me, my mum and brother with a big bearded dragon (which went in the paper :)).
The only animal I can't stand are trantulas. Deep down i'm also afraid of being bitten by snakes. (I always chose to hold the big boa constrictors, people wonder why but i use to say it was safer as they don't bite! *Facepalm* the innocence of young people!)

Anyway I've lost track,
My mum always wanted a tortoise since she was a little girl. Back then you use to find full grown ones for next to nothing, however she was never allowed one.
So we've always thought about getting one but never actually gone through with it. We've always been busy with horses - my riding has always taken priority.
I cannot tell you what made me change my mind but i just decided one day I really wanted a tortoise.

So i joined this forum and started searching everywhere. I eventually decided I was either getting a hermanns or a horsefields (russian) but then I saw a Leopard, and so did my mum. Further research and i fell in love with them even more.

Most people here think i got mine from a petshop. I didn't. Theres a farm near me and they rescue neglected animals. Most of there tortoises are from people who couldn't care for them anymore and most come in with health issues. (They currently have leopards, russians, hermanns, red foots and then i think sulcatas) Not to mention every other animal there is mostly rescue, with the odd few bred by them.
The tortoise i bought from them was sent in to them, i believe as an egg and then hatched by them.

I didn't actually go to buy a tortoise, I just went to have a look at what they had and what i wanted. Seeing the hermanns, russians and leopards together had to tell me which i really wanted. It was a close race between the leopards and the hermanns. (I also secretly eye'd up star tortoises and sulcatas ;))
But as soon as I saw Squirt I wanted her. It was bizarre how i saw her and was just drawn to her. My plan was to find a breeder and buy one from them.

I plan on adding to my tortoise collection in time. So does my mum.
Our aim is to keep 5/6 leopards and breed them :)

although i'd love to also rescue tortoises,
Setting up a rescue center for tortoises would be my ultimate dream.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I bought my first tort at a market, it was a morrocan that were selling them illegally, I bought the one that was in the worst condition, it took me 3 months to get her back to a good health.

That is Mini's story:D:D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Sky2Mina said:
Chery - I understand that you don't want to wait anymore. I was on the forum everyday (ok, still am :D), looking at pictures, making plans of how to decorate the enclosure etc.
Couldn't you call the breeder to find out what's really up? Oh, and did you mention what kind of tort you are getting? A greek?

Mina

Eastern Hermann's. Have e-mailed again today, so will hopefully hear back soon. I feel much too impatient and don't want to hassle the breeder, of course, but I'm excited to have a plan in place.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Growing up where I have there are native turtles everywhere. I had them as early as 5 years old. But my first tortoise was a Hermann's tortoise (actually two of them) when I was 10 years old in the early 70's. My mother and I were walking by a pet store in a shopping center in the city (they weren't called malls then and all the stores were outside!). I saw a bunch of the tortoises pacing back and forth against the front window glass. I watched them for a few minutes and absolutely had to have one. I begged, pleaded, negotiated and agreed to her every chore demand to get one. We left the store with two! I was a persistant little bugger and at that point in the day my mother had enough and just wanted to go home. Normally she never would have given into spending money on something like that!

LaTortue

5 Year Member
Borex, Switzerland
I remember ever since like early high school turtles had been my favorite animals. I always associated them with a relaxed lifestyle, whimsical in their style, and typically in relaxing & beautiful environments (Most notably the Sea Turtle). Eventually by my mid-college years I had forgotten about it. BUT.... One day we so happened to be discussing about perhaps gettin' a DOG for the house, However, in Switzerland you have to go through kind of a tedious process to get a dog, and they are very expensive and people don't like when they bark and all this very European stuff. Anyways, in the midst of the convo I was like... Man, I want a Turtle/Tortoise. And my folks laughed it off like... Yeah... No. And I was like... Ok. Maybe waiting for a dog is better? Anyways, a week later my Mother comes back home with a Tortoise as a Surprise. And that was Mikey! Been collecting Turtles/Tortoises ever since. And love em too.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
@stephiiberrybean - It's a tortoise forum! How could you bore us with tortoise stories? :D Love the story and I think it's so great that you and your mum love animals. Must be really nice to have so many animals around you!

@GBtortoises - wow, one day and you got what you wanted? I negotiated with my mum for A YEAR until I got my guinea pigs. I really waited a year. Part of the deal to persuade her were good grades.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I remember getting my first pair of tortoises like it was yesterday. One day, when I was about 2 years old, my dad brought home a couple of Greek tortoises. I thought they were just amazing. I even liked the way they smelled. Sadly, my parents knew nothing about tortoises, and kept them in a small Styrofoam box and fed them grass (!) for a couple weeks before giving them to someone else. But the feeling stayed with me, and I have loved turtles ever since.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
My first turtle was a WC box turtle from Oklahoma. I decided to let it go a few wks after I found it because of doing research and because it wouldn't eat anything I gave it. Since then I have been doing a lot of research on tortoises because I got a RF in early June this year, great little tort. I rehomed it a few days ago because it was having territorial issues and was biting/ramming my other RF. Planning on getting another little RF soon. When I get it, I will keep it in its own area for a month or so until I decide to move it in with my other one. I hope it works out :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
My story is boring. I wish I had a better memory but growing up I had almost every kind of animal except lizards & snakes.
I do remember when I was about 10 I had a couple of box turtles. I just kept them in our back yard sorta blocked off w/ various bricks etc. I think I fed them well we were vegetarians so we always had fruit & veggies in the house. I'm guessing I bought them from the mall pet store along w/ one of those small turtle & tortoise books we all had.

Then when I was about 19 my dad bought me a tortoise. It was a total surprise. I wish I could find my pictures of it because I have no idea what it was. It was 6-8" and it was sorta dark grey color. We named him Sherman because he was a tank. I lived in an apt and my roommates BF built me a pretty good enclosure for the time since we didn't have the internet. I was about a 2x4 made w/ all plexiglass and wood corners. He stayed on our balcony. I had no idea about lights or CHE back then. He got a RI once and was dehydrated. I was given antibiotics by injections and sent home. There was no way I could administer them so I had my aunt & uncle do it. Then I had to move away to Oregon for my Nanny job and the parents wouldn't let me bring him. I had to rehome him to a family I knew and then they moved away to WA state. I still miss him. Hopefully I will come across his photo and you guys could ID him for me. My husband is still not on board w/ me getting a tortoise. He hasn't said "no" but not thrilled. I'm so ready but I'm a patient person and my time will come.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Momof4 said:
My husband is still not on board w/ me getting a tortoise. He hasn't said "no" but not thrilled. I'm so ready but I'm a patient person and my time will come.

Has he ever been around any?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
No he hasn't, just our RES who is fun to watch but he's not interested him in at all. He knows how much I love my turtles and pets. Like I said " My time will come." I may have to liquor him up this weekend! Hee Hee. I really do enjoy reading here. I have learned a lot and everyone is so nice.
How do you Quote a reply? Do I highlight what I want to and then hit the "quote this post" icon?

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Momof4 said:
No he hasn't, just our RES who is fun to watch but he's not interested him in at all. He knows how much I love my turtles and pets. Like I said " My time will come." I may have to liquor him up this weekend! Hee Hee. I really do enjoy reading here. I have learned a lot and everyone is so nice.
How do you Quote a reply? Do I highlight what I want to and then hit the "quote this post" icon?
All you do is hit the reply button on the person's reply and it automatically adds the quote. Don't hit New Reply, if you want to quote someone, hit the reply button on their reply.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
We had box turtles when I was a boy in Louisiana. The first redfoot,I didn't actually "aquire". I was woking in the oil field in French Guyana. Being a country boy,one of the first things I did was explore the jungle around the well location. It wasn't long before I had found a beautiful adult redfoot,although at the time,I had no idea exactly what it was,other than a land tortoise. I brought it up to the crew trailer and made a makeshift pen. I talked to some locals and found out a little bit about their diet. After about a week,I decided to set it free. It hung around like a stray dog after you feed it. We left food out for it until the job was over,about 6 months. Often,in the evening just before dark,we'd look up and here would come"Julio" as we had dubbed him.Just coming around for a treat. Not exactly"tortoise keeping",just my first experience with a redfoot.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Momof4 said:
My story is boring. I wish I had a better memory but growing up I had almost every kind of animal except lizards & snakes.
I do remember when I was about 10 I had a couple of box turtles. I just kept them in our back yard sorta blocked off w/ various bricks etc. I think I fed them well we were vegetarians so we always had fruit & veggies in the house. I'm guessing I bought them from the mall pet store along w/ one of those small turtle & tortoise books we all had.

Then when I was about 19 my dad bought me a tortoise. It was a total surprise. I wish I could find my pictures of it because I have no idea what it was. It was 6-8" and it was sorta dark grey color. We named him Sherman because he was a tank. I lived in an apt and my roommates BF built me a pretty good enclosure for the time since we didn't have the internet. I was about a 2x4 made w/ all plexiglass and wood corners. He stayed on our balcony. I had no idea about lights or CHE back then. He got a RI once and was dehydrated. I was given antibiotics by injections and sent home. There was no way I could administer them so I had my aunt & uncle do it. Then I had to move away to Oregon for my Nanny job and the parents wouldn't let me bring him. I had to rehome him to a family I knew and then they moved away to WA state. I still miss him. Hopefully I will come across his photo and you guys could ID him for me. My husband is still not on board w/ me getting a tortoise. He hasn't said "no" but not thrilled. I'm so ready but I'm a patient person and my time will come.

I've often found it's easier to get forgiven than permission...just food for thought! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.