How did you acquire your first tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I see this forum is full of scoundrels.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Loving all your stories.

Especially like how those who got them younger had to beg their parents, and those getting their tortoises as adults have negotiated with their partners. Then, there are those few who have their partners on board - I'm one of those, fortunately. My fiance wants a dog eventually, but he's happy to accept my tortoise - thinks it will be a 'cool' pet.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Well I was 38 when we got our OP. My kids are in 4-H and we started with poultry. 1 Christmas we got a Leopard gecko for my son and that is when the reptiles started. Started showing the reptiles in 4-H shows and saw another member had a Sulcata tortoise. Hubby loved his neat looking shell. ( Have since learned pyramiding is not a good thing and the 4-Her aquired his sully like that from someone else). We went to a reptile show in PA and they were selling baby sulcatas and leopards. We ended up bringing home a sully. Have since found out it is illegal to buy or sell turtles or tortoise in NJ but we do have a permit for OP. Hubby found this site when we got home and signed up. I immediately took over. He mistakenly thought a tortoise would be a pet that wouldn't take much work :rolleyes:

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Terry Allan Hall said:
dmmj said:
I see this forum is full of scoundrels.

You say "scoundrel", we say "outside-of-the-box thinkers"... :p

That is one way to think of it, lol :p I will have to try this on my landlord about me having my bearded dragons...

Love reading all the stories. Fun thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.