How do cherry head markings change as they age?

XanaZoo

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I'm trying to find pictures of cherry heads but can only find pictures of hatchlings and very young tortoises. Does anyone have pictures of 10+ year cherry heads. I can find pics full adult normal redfoot and they seem to change a lot in looks as they age.

If I get a cherry head I'd like to see how they look as 25 year olds. Also what size can I realistically expect? I've heard 12 inches is normal. How many years do they grow for?

Does marbling happen continously for years? Do their colors change as they age?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Yes, cherry-heads, or more accurately, Bahia, Brazilian red-footed tortoises do indeed change as they grow. Orange colored neonates can turn deep red. Fire engine red neonates can turn orange as they grow. Heavily marbled juveniles can become mostly black as they age and so forth.
Below are images of the same animal starting in 2007 as a neonate. Then at one year of age, then last year and finally just a quick shot from this morning when she was getting the stink-eye from her mom.

neonate Mango.jpgMango at one Face.JPGMango 2021.jpg

20221012_112324.jpg

XanaZoo

Alabama
Yes, cherry-heads, or more accurately, Bahia, Brazilian red-footed tortoises do indeed change as they grow. Orange colored neonates can turn deep red. Fire engine red neonates can turn orange as they grow. Heavily marbled juveniles can become mostly black as they age and so forth.
Below are images of the same animal starting in 2007 as a neonate. Then at one year of age, then last year and finally just a quick shot from this morning when she was getting the stink-eye from her mom.

View attachment 350776View attachment 350777View attachment 350778

View attachment 350781
Thanks you these are exactly the kind of pictures I was looking for. It's especially great to see the mother's a adult child.

You've had some of them for decades, how old is your oldest tortoise?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Thanks you these are exactly the kind of pictures I was looking for. It's especially great to see the mother's a adult child.

You've had some of them for decades, how old is your oldest tortoise?

I have heard of several of my hatchlings from the 80s and even one from the 70s (see the thread 'Old Dudes') that people still own and that are doing quite well.
Currently, my two longest resident Brazilian females are starting their 24th year with us. These two females were juveniles when I obtained them. A male Brazilian that was fully adult when I got him is starting his 23rd year here.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.

View attachment 350776View attachment 350777View attachment 350778

View attachment 350781
Beautiful Tortoises