how do eliminate ticks in the backyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hello I was wondering if there is anything I can use, to kill ticks in the backyard, without harming the grass so that the Turtles can still eat it.
Thanks
Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Look into beneficial nematodes. They also control ants and fleas.

Sent from my MB865 using TortForum mobile app

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I do have chickens but my turtel still got one tick....after 10 years of living here the was the first time i have seen one, how to could the chicken missed that one!:-/

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Do you have other animals coming through your yard like deer perhaps?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You didn't say what kind of "turtel" this is. Some tortoises imported from Africa have been banned from importation due to having ticks that might infect the U.S.'s hoofed stock. Is there any possibility that this might be a wild-caught tortoise from Africa?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I have my sullies since babies they now 5 years old. And now the smaller one had a beige brown tick on her neck, it was the same color as her neck,
I never seen any ticks in my yard and i have 3 dogs, never had a problem.
Is there a natural herb what i can use to kill ticks.? But that its still save for my sullies?

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Find your nearest tractor supply co an buy a 20 lb. bag of datomaceous earth. Sprinkle it around the perimeter of your property. It is feed grade, and where I would not add it to tortoise feed, the dilution should be except able in making an effective natural barrier for any insect.

Guinea hens are also great, if you can protect them and tolerate the noise.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I routinely sprinkle diatomaceous earth (food-grade, of course) on the feed for all the animals on my property including the torts (kangaroo, deer, goats, donkey, dogs, chicken...), doesn't take much and have a dramatic decrease in fecal parasite counts and improved body condition in all animals. Have had guineas for the last 6 years and very rarely find a tick on my Pyrenees.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I will definitely do that also i have regular chickens are those fine as well

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
exoticsdr said:
I routinely sprinkle diatomaceous earth (food-grade, of course) on the feed for all the animals on my property including the torts (kangaroo, deer, goats, donkey, dogs, chicken...), doesn't take much and have a dramatic decrease in fecal parasite counts and improved body condition in all animals. Have had guineas for the last 6 years and very rarely find a tick on my Pyrenees.

Tell me more doc. Where do you get it? How much do you put on the food and how often? Do you use it like a calcium supplement? Just sprinkle it on?

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Google wolfcreekranch they are a great resource for de usage.

Sent from my MB865 using TortForum mobile app

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
exoticsdr said:

I have ben trying this for the last month or two here on all my animals after Kelly (tortadise) talking about it. Not sure yet how well I would rate it for working on the food/inside of the animals. I also tried it on the cats/dogs as a flea killer after hearing all the good things about how well it works. Sadly, it has not been that great here for the fleas. :( I don't use it outsie on the yard/enclosures itself, because most of those bugs out there are good guys or ones my tortoises (or the toads) can eat.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
DE is definitely NOT a quick kill option for external parasites such as fleas and ticks....have tried it on fire ants and the jury is still out....I have been dressing my kangaroo's feed and the food of my other stock and have definitely noticed an improvement in everyone's body condition and rarely see a parasite egg when I do a fecal now....I dress the dry food with a "salt shaker" and since I still give all my adult roos a bottle every evening, I just add a little to each bottle. Purchased a 30lb bag at Tractor supply some time ago and it is lasting a long time.....wear a face mask, it is very fine and can cause repiratsory problems if you inhale it

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the advice,is it possible that i got ticks.from a toad ? I saw a dead one today in my pond,when i picked it up with a shovel, I noticed 3 ticks on it, is it possible when they die or even when they still alive that rhe ticks would detouch them selfs and move to a diffrent animal?

Jacqi use advantix 2 for flees its perfect for 1 month or certifect for up to 3 month per dose.
I have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.